Mutu : Rangers play ugly football

Coopermania

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20396324/

Mutu: Gers have turned the beautiful game ugly

Apr 27 2008 By Mark Guidi

Fiorentina V Rangers Uefa Cup Semi-Final, 2nd Leg Thursday, Kick-Off 7.45pm, Live Stv & Itv4

FIORENTINA star Adrian Mutu last night became the latest player to slaughter Rangers for their "ugly" football.

The Romanian striker blasted Walter Smith's side for playing so defensively during their UEFA Cup semi-final at Ibrox last week.

Mutu expected Rangers to be more adventurous in the 0-0 draw and it's not the first time the Ibrox outfit have taken pelters for their style of play this term.

Barcelona ace Lionel Messi claimed Smith's men played "anti-football" after facing them in the Champions League and Werder Bremen's Daniel Jensen also had a pop following his side's defeat in the UEFA Cup.

Celtic hitman Georgios Samaras then cranked up the heat ahead of the last Old Firm showdown by claiming Gers "don't try to play football".

Fiorentina boss Cesare Prandelli had another dig last week andMutu agreed with his gaffer after seeing Rangers at close quarters in the first-leg clash.

The former Chelsea striker said: "We didn't expect Rangers to be like that, to defend so much. We thought as the home team they would try to attack but this is their football and we must adapt.

"I've never seen a team play like that. I thought they would maybe want to make more of a spectacle for their fans - but that was an ugly game.

"They were defending all the time and I just hope we see a bit more attacking in the next game. I'd like to see them contribute more spectacular football in the return on Thursday."

Mutu expects Rangers to be better in the second leg because they will have Barry Ferguson and Kevin Thomson back after bans.

He said: "We would have liked to have left Ibrox with a goal but it wasn't to be.

"Now we must make sure in the next game.

"Rangers have some players back for this match but we will be ready.

"They defended well at Ibrox and had all their players behind the ball.

They were also aggressive.

"Rangers are strong in the air but we knew that beforehand because it is the way football is played in Scotland.

"We tried to adapt but didn't quite manage it."

Mutu is also confident his side will put on a much better performance in Italy.

And he's desperate to add to the six goals he has bagged in Europe this term.

Mutu insisted: "You can expect to see something different from us.

"We want to get to the final but Rangers have done well away from home.

"The crowd will have a big part to play. I hope our fans get right behind us and urge us on.

"It is important for us to get recognition by reaching the UEFA Cup Final.

"But I know it also means so much to Rangers and that's why every player will need to give his all."

At the end of the day, the aim of football is to overcome and defeat your opponent. We are doing that and are among the top scorers in Britain. The Italians based their success on what we are doing now FFS!

I think it's just players who are frustrated they can't break us down. You'll note it's attackers who say it, that screams of frustration to me. As has been said the Italians in days of old based their success on strong defensive performances.

Truth hurts, we should attack more and better.

not if it means we will lose, it's all about playing to your strenghts, and attacking more is not our strength.

As for "not playing football" that's a load of bollocks, football has many different varieties, tactics, formations. Just because the football we play isn't exactly pleasing on the eye it doesn't make it "not football"

I think it's just players who are frustrated they can't break us down. You'll note it's attackers who say it, that screams of frustration to me. As has been said the Italians in days of old based their success on strong defensive performances.

very good point brissy. (tu)

Truth hurts, we should attack more and better.

not if it means we will lose, it's all about playing to your strenghts, and attacking more is not our strength.

As for "not playing football" that's a load of bollocks, football has many different varieties, tactics, formations. Just because the football we play isn't exactly pleasing on the eye it doesn't make it "not football"

well said (tu)

Adrian Mutu did some drugs , did some drugs

He snorted, he jacked up, he bought it from some thugs

... Nice song, why not be like Mutu? You could send your song to the media and slag him off! Lol

Guest Andypendek

couldn't care less what he thinks. bit annoyed, i admit, that the scots press have seen fit to print yet more negative stuff about a scottish team getting to a semi in europe. not surprised, though. it would truly kill these people to be positive.

I seriousily hate sore losers, from messi, ronaldwhinio, henry, mutu, diego, benzema, frog eyes, and so on so forth. FUCK THEM

if ya cannae beat the gers

have a whine

have a whine

cannae beat the gers

cannae beat the gers

have a whine

OH BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY BOUNCY HAVE A FUCKING WHINE

Thing is Mutu, you didnt like being in Cuellar's back pocket!

Ugly football, there the dirtyiest, slyest, football (JCD will tell ya) ive seen at Ibrox all season and Celtic played here twice

Yawn... what was that you were saying Mutt? Put down the crack cocaine and run that by me again. You are not happy that eleven men stopped you from scoring one solitary goal or something. You are in a panic because you don't want fiorentina fans to smash your Ferrari windaes? Umm.. it was the pitch was it? No it was them damn potato scones you got at the Radisson all day breakfast? Big Carlos wouldnae let you play? Big boys picked on you, you say?

That wasn't even our first team. I'll let you get back to your crack whore and your target practice. See you Thurs.

he can say what he wants, all that matter is the result. Have arsenal got more points for playing beautiful football? Most people would say hibs have been playing some of the best football in the spl for year but all they have to show for that is one cis cup. If fiorentina play such good football they should be able to beat us but they couldnt. We have every right to play the way we want to get the best result we can.

*sigh*

All doing a Mssi and greetin because they're overrated and can't find way to beat us.

The best players don't need excuses, you can't hit the back of the net it's your own problem.

The former Chelsea striker said: "We didn't expect Rangers to be like that, to defend so much. We thought as the home team they would try to attack but this is their football and we must adapt.

did they do any research before the game ffs? doh