Beam-Back arranged at Ibrox

Rangers to beam UEFA final to fans at Ibrox

May 4 2008 By Grace Macaskill

Exclusive The Road To Manchester Uefa Cup Final May 14, 2008 Final Beamed Live On Giant Screens

RANGERS will throw open the doors of Ibrox to fans locked out of the UEFA Cup final, the Sunday Mail can reveal.

As unofficial ticket prices soared to £3500 on the internet, Ibrox bosses said they plan to avert a Manchester invasion with a free live beamback on their giant screens.

They are desperate to persuade 100,000 ticketless fans to stay in Glasgow instead of heading south for next week's clash with Zenit St Petersburg. Manchester police have warned fans without tickets will not be welcomed.

Club chairman Sir David Murray and chief executive Martin Bain hope the chance to watch the game in a near-full stadium will appeal to Gers supporters.

Rangers have an allocation of 13,000 briefs from UEFA - but must cater for sponsors and corporate guests from that allowance.

Tickets with a face value of £75 are already selling on ebay for up to £3500.

Rangers have held talks with Glasgow City Council about holding events in George Square but there are fears the city centre cannot cope.

An Ibrox source said: "Everyone is terrified at the prospect of 100,000 fans heading to Manchester.

The police wouldn't want that, the council would not want it and the club would also be very concerned.

"It would certainly increase the prospect of trouble for fans and would put the city of Manchester under incredible strain."

Ibrox chiefs will begin talks about the beamback tomorrow. The club are looking at the possibility of jetting the trophy back to Ibrox by helicopter minutes after the final whistle if they win.

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain said: "We will never be able to meet the demand for tickets, however those who have paid good money all season to go on the trips will be rewarded.

"We will be looking to show the game on the Jumbotron screens and we will work with the council to make sure the city is a great environment to watch the game in."

Iain Sinclair, of the Arthur Numan Loyal Rangers Supporters Club of Milngavie, said: "I think it is a great idea to open Ibrox up for the game but I don't think many fans will be left in Glasgow for it.

"For the fans who can't make it, there isn't a better place to watch the final than in Ibrox."

Some fans are angry that less than a third of the tickets will go to Rangers. Each of the 53 member countries of UEFA got tickets weeks ago - including tiny nations such as The Faroes and Andorra.

Quote from Sunday Mail (sorry!!)

You shouldn't apologse for putiing a quote in from the paper - it is only the (vocal) paranoid that complain about the papers (well a lot of us complain but we still buy them !! LOL)

A lot can't make it on the day so this is a good thing. Pity GCC won't accomadate others.

Didn't expect otherwise.

Are Rangers going to charge £5.00 or something to get in to Ibrox.

I know they said they would throw open the doors. Does that mean FREE?

On you go Sinky :lol: thats the bus i travel with to the games and we are all going to Manchester ticketless or not good luck trying to get people into Ibrox Bain :craphead:

On you go Sinky :lol: thats the bus i travel with to the games and we are all going to Manchester ticketless or not good luck trying to get people into Ibrox Bain :craphead:

It's good for people like me who have an unmissable exam the next day (tu)

It's good for people like me who have an unmissable exam the next day (tu)

correct if theres people who cant make it what better place to be than at the theatre of beams

If the story is true the beamback would have to be an all ticket event, otherwise chaos. Policing and strong stewarding will have to be paid for,especially if the trophy was brought back, remember how the spl trophy celebration was cut short last time by idiots running on to the pitch.

Desperate to stop us travelling to Manchester are they?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dream on ya cunts, like it or not, we're going.

I don't get it.

If 100,000 Gers fans descended on Glasgow City Centre for this game, there would be 100 times more trouble than there will be in Manchester, simply because Tims/Aberdeen (maybe) fans will go into town that day looking for a fight.

We're better off in Manchester (those who can make it, anyway).

Guest Andypendek

i got to say it, all this pish is really taking the edge off things for me. fucking police state. i may be forced to resort to alcoholic measures in order to regain my good humour.

Fuck the beam back - Im going to Manchester. Good idea for those who weren't travelling to Manchester anyway (wimmminnn and bairns !!!).

But, no thanks - I'll take my chances in Manchester thanks !!!.

Just a shitty effort by GMP to stop Bears travelling down there that's all.

And, can you imagine the fucking soap-dodging, shell-suited, gypos at Kiddy-fiddler HQ - "you wouldn't even travel to Manchester when 1,873,465 of us went to Seville", no fucking chance - MANCHESTER OR DEATH FOR ME !!!!

fuck the beam back!!!!!!!!!

i have no ticket

i have no transport

i have no hotel

all i have is my bank card, credit card, rangers scarf and my best mates.

but you better fuckin believe im going to be in manchester an i shall be drunken in a bar with well over 100,000 other rangers fans having a ball :P

i have no ticket

i have no transport

i have no hotel

but you better fuckin believe im going to be in manchester an i shall be drunken in a bar with well over 100,000 other rangers fans having a ball :P

like you style :unionflag:

i have no ticket

i have no transport

i have no hotel

*no big exams

:(

nup ive been to uni ive done all that nonsense,

ps degrees are worth fuck all go get some life experience :lol:

I'm afraid I won't get anywhere in my line of work without a journalism degree.