Jonathan Greening

Speuan

Back in the EPL now, the promised land for footballers, will be hard to temp him, he is a decent player though, 2 down on that list is the link to the Coventry striker Milfsud (sp) the guy who scored a hatrick at Old Trafford v Man Utd last season.

Rangers are lining up a move for West Brom midfielder Jonathan Greening.

The 29-year-old is available following the Baggies' promotion to the Premier League as Tony Mowbray shapes his squad for their top-flight return.

And, at £1.35million, the former Manchester United youngster falls well within Rangers' price range.

People Sport understands Greening, who moved to the Hawthorns from Middlesbrough four years ago, has already held preliminary talks with Rangers over a move to Ibrox and is interested in going north of the border.

He began his career at York as a trainee before Sir Alex Ferguson took him to Old Trafford.

Greening had three seasons at United but it became apparent he was not going to get the opportunities that he wanted at first-team level and he followed Steve McClaren to the Riverside when the former United No.2 took over the Boro hot-seat.

Advertisement

Greening has two years still to run on his West Brom deal and is club captain.

But Mowbray has money to spend and is desperately chasing Derby youngster Giles Barnes.

Midfielder Barnes has been offered terms of more than £20,000 a week to join West Brom, who moved in the opposite direction to the relegated Rams.

Greening is quality. I would be surprised if WBA would want to let him go for so little but if were only talkin about £1.3million then that would be a snip!!! (tu)

Rangers have also distanced themselves from reports linking them with West Brom's Jonathan Greening.

Evening Times.

Looks like Greening isnt coming after all

Mowbray: Greening will still be West Brom captain next season

By Graham Hill

Last updated at 1:17 PM on 02nd June 2008

Comments (0) Add to My Stories

West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Mowbray has confirmed that Jonathan Greening will continue to captain the club next season - ending any suggestion that Rangers are ready to make a move for the midfielder.

Weekend reports suggested that Greening was a summer target for Rangers manager Walter Smith.

But Mowbray insists that the former Manchester United and Middlesbrough player will skipper Albion on their return to the Premier League next season.

Scroll down for more

Skips in: Jonathan Greening is set to retain the captaincy for West Brom next season.

Greening, 29, has admitted he would stand aside if Mowbray wanted a new man to captain the team, but the Baggies manager has been quick to put the player’s mind at rest.

“Jonathan was given the captaincy last season because he brings just about everything I like in a footballer,†said Mowbray.

“I was a captain for most of my career but I also understood the players around me in the team. Jonno shows his leadership qualities with his ability to want the ball and his ability to be brave enough to play for the team.