If Smith doesnt deliver the league this year should he step down or better leave

mannan

stay or go  

117 members have voted

1. 1. what do u think

• stay
    • go

What a stupid thread.

Even if you restrict it to the SPL, we were the best team in the league.

The 08-09 title is a mere formality. Refs can't give another 30 point swing and the SPL can't do what they did again.

hardly a stupid thread then the majority believe he should leave

as for the league being a formality, now that is stupid.........

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a stupid thread.

The 08-09 title is a mere formality. Refs can't give another 30 point swing and the SPL can't do what they did again.

You seem awfully excited about us maybe losing the league.

I'd rather hope I'm wrong about us losing it - but I'm not looking beyond this coming season.

What a stupid thread.

I'd rather hope I'm wrong about us losing it - but I'm not looking beyond this coming season.

(tu)

The poll's based on the assumption we lose the league next season - regardless of the "if" in the thread title. It's not productive and there's really no point in asking those kind of questions when we haven't even reported for pre-season training for the season in question.

I can't believe this. The guy could have won the quadruple if it wasn't for the SPL. Football fans are a disgrace at times like.

call your self supporters, in total agreement with above comment :rangers:

I agree as well!!At end o day folk slag his tactics in the final forgetting that it was those tactics that got us there!!also for a rebuilding year it was amazing and had a couple of results at the end of the season been different im sure this wood be a poll on whether or not to build the guy a statue!!

IN WALTER I TRUST :rangers:

Guest Andypendek
We were very lucky at times in Europe. The only team I thought we were definitely the better team over 2 legs than was Sporting Club. For me, Europe was a freak event this year, try it again 10 times and we'd fail in every one. Far too often this year (and for the last 5-6yrs) we've been just scraping by an no more. We were poor far too often this season, with very few convincing performances, even in the lowly SPL.

I remain unconvinced that Walter Smith is the man to take us forward. I don't think he has the vision, tactical nous or coaching skills to do it. We play static, lumbering and stagnent football. So little movement or intelligence to our play and the coaching staff have to take responsibility for that. Look at Hibs in years of late, they have poorer players than us, but manage to play something half attractive.

On a side note. Personally I think Ferguson is as big a problem as he is an asset. He can't be dropped because he probably is our best player and captain but.... he doesn't have the attributes we need for the job he is being asked to do. Walter has to address this, either by changing the system to accomodate Fergie (which would be a 4-5-1/4-3-3 with him playing a deeper role), or dropping him completely. If he asks Fergie to play anything like an attacking midfielder again next season, then I fear we are doomed for failure.

While I'm unwilling to talk about this pishy thread, this is a good post.

1st off though, yes we got some luck in Europe but why not? Should we enter every competition and say we'll refuse any breaks? And luck won't take you all the way to the final. I know we ain't easy pleased as a support but come on - we got to the UEFA Cup Final with a very workmanlike team. The manager HAS to get credit for that, lucky or not.

Agree with para2, but I hope that was a transistional stage. If we play the same way again, I too would be unhappy.

Agree again. I love BF but it seems he is holding the team back by being there, if he was gone KT could take his role and it would free up an AM spot. But then again, he's a fantastic player and in a team with better players, as we've seen before, easily the best in Scotland. Not saying much I agree but better than the worst in Scotland. Plus, his willingness to play injured and run all day can't just be thrown aside. I can't make up my mind about Barry, tbh.

I think that no matter what happens next season, Walter will step down regardless. He has done the job he came here to do.

As for who I'd like to see take over?

Van Basten anyone? :rolleyes:

:rangers:

What a stupid thread.

(tu)

The poll's based on the assumption we lose the league next season - regardless of the "if" in the thread title. It's not productive and there's really no point in asking those kind of questions when we haven't even reported for pre-season training for the season in question.

I admit my positively has not been overwhelming this close season.

But the chap who started this poll also started a thread asking who we want as a new boss if Smith fucks up.

I'm sorry, but having fear we'll lose is quite a different thing to actively seeking plan B on the practical assumption that we WILL lose.

What a stupid thread.

(tu)

I admit my positively has not been overwhelming this close season.

But the chap who started this poll also started a thread asking who we want as a new boss if Smith fucks up.

I'm sorry, but having fear we'll lose is quite a different thing to actively seeking plan B on the practical assumption that we WILL lose.

i just started a thread because i was interested to see what people thought............the purpose of the forum...........i do think smith isnt the man to take us forward and have so from the word go, what i saw last season overall confirmed my belief further

AND i did not start the thread that some small minded person locked but i did ask the question on this thread because i was shocked that such a thing would happen. OH NO 'i dont like this kind of talk' please not on here this is a public forum where opinions and such questions shouldnt be asked

since there was no malice or ANY REASON AT ALL the thread that was started by billyfiz should have been locked, i felt it necessary to add the question in here since a clear 30% majority vote believe smith should go is the league isnt won this time round

IF he does win the league and importantly we do so in fashion that comes with good performances (some attractive football that doesnt have the fans who work hard and pay good money to see sickened by scrapin a 1-0 result to lower division teams......somethin that happened all too often last season) i will be delighted and gladly say that smith has bought himself sometime in the hotseat.....

i did not want KM to sigh but i hope for RANGERS sake that he does well, like it or lump it he is here

IF the league does not arrive then smith MUST go in my opinion as four in a row to celtic IS NOT acceptable and he will have had 2 full seasons to do so

rant over!

And what happens if we play a great season with great football but just get pipped to the title?

Good point. These simplistic polls do not allow for that.

yeah it is a fair point.....but football is a tough game, specially if your a manager, ask avram grant lol

if this happens then i still think he should leave, havin been pipped at the post 2 seasons in a row still isnt good enough, we needed the league this season and in my opinion through a number of factors, one being his stubborness and arrogance he threw it away......

Yeah, and listen guys, did you know who Carlos Cuellar was this time last year? Some of you probably thought that would be a bad signing..... and davis...and darcheville....

Yes, I realise Walter Smith is not Rangers, but look what HE has achieved in the last year and a half.

This is crazy.

so how many seasons is walter allowed without winning the title.

Why are we contemplating not winning the title?

why because in alot of peoples eyes smith threw it away last year

Exactly. We could have done the quadrule in Smith's first full season and we're contemplating sacking him. LOL. I canny get over this. But yeah, next season is the real judgment of Smith. If we got far in europe again and lost the league due to fixture congestion, would I blame Smith? No chance.

but anyway im sure the poll question started with 'if'

Last year was a re-building season. He basically started from scratch and brought in quite a number of players. It depends how you look at it. You think he "threw it away" but I think we were pipped to it after circumstances conspired against us.

I'm not advocating blind optimism for next season, but at the same time it's hardly productive to start contemplating failure before the window's open and a ball's been kicked.

Yeah, exactly.

If we got far in europe again and lost the league due to extreme fixture congestion, would I want Smith sacked. No way.

What a stupid thread.

Being the best team doesn't matter. We still lost the league due to the SPL, poor tactics, stubborness, failure to replace Hutton, number of games....

celtc wont have such a bad run of games without a win as they did last season. They hopefully wont get as many decisions as they did but we were very lucky at times aswell.

A formality, just like the league was wrapped up in April?

Walter Smith must deliver the league, it has to be won this season!

Celtic's big advantage at this stage is that they have a pretty settled squad (though things can always change). We have already brought in a whole new strike force, there will surely be more changes and we will be looking to gel again.

i just started a thread because i was interested to see what people thought............the purpose of the forum...........i do think smith isnt the man to take us forward and have so from the word go, what i saw last season overall confirmed my belief further

AND i did not start the thread that some small minded person locked but i did ask the question on this thread because i was shocked that such a thing would happen. OH NO 'i dont like this kind of talk' please not on here this is a public forum where opinions and such questions shouldnt be asked

since there was no malice or ANY REASON AT ALL the thread that was started by billyfiz should have been locked, i felt it necessary to add the question in here since a clear 30% majority vote believe smith should go is the league isnt won this time round

IF he does win the league and importantly we do so in fashion that comes with good performances (some attractive football that doesnt have the fans who work hard and pay good money to see sickened by scrapin a 1-0 result to lower division teams......somethin that happened all too often last season) i will be delighted and gladly say that smith has bought himself sometime in the hotseat.....

i did not want KM to sigh but i hope for RANGERS sake that he does well, like it or lump it he is here

IF the league does not arrive then smith MUST go in my opinion as four in a row to celtic IS NOT acceptable and he will have had 2 full seasons to do so

rant over!

What's more important to you, m8, the possibility of winning the league or replacing Smith if we lose it?

Celtic's big advantage at this stage is that they have a pretty settled squad (though things can always change). We have already brought in a whole new strike force, there will surely be more changes and we will be looking to gel again.

This is a good point. However we've risen to the occasion when we'vehad the players so I'm quietly confident.

rant over!

What's more important to you, m8, the possibility of winning the league or replacing Smith if we lose it?

winning is the most important thing of course.........BUT i am being realistic and that might not happen.......we've already seen that this season when it was thrown away by whatever or whoever you believe is responsible

SO i thought i would start a survey to gauge the level of support for smith and must say that i am AMAZED that so many people on this forum would accept not winning the league for a fourth time in a row

despite all the obvious faults that smith has a manager, which have been clearly highlighted by rangers and everton fans alike, and he clearly is incapable of change or learning because to this day he still makes them...........

if smith isnt the man to take us forward then i want someone who will next time, not another sidestep or steadyin the ship, it may take a few years for him to do so, but ultimately thats football.........

Ive seen more than enough years of rangers with smith at the helm to know what he offers and am confident that this will not change, hence he should step down if the league isnt won this term

What a strange thread indeed, also, since the original poster seems to be keen on Smith not being here, why not offer a suggestion as to who you would prefer in charge?

To answer a couple of questions raised in it, such as, how many attempts to win the league should Smith get? I would say, THIS season, and that is it. I said, at the start of last season, that, it was a transitional season, and, given the state we were in, with a paper thin squad, we achieved more than we should have, so, it was a partial success. Was it as good as we wanted? no. Was there a promise of more yet we failed? of course.

However, I looked upon this as a 2 year plan. 1st Year, add bulk/quantity, 2nd year, add the quality.

And before someone jumps in with "mhiller isnt quality" or something similar, come back to me nearer the end of the close season when we know who we have signed. If this is it, then am not happy either, however, am happier with the guys we have signed so far than the likes of Hemdani, Cousin, Ferguson (in an attacking role), Davis (wide right) and so on.

winning is the most important thing of course.........BUT i am being realistic and that might not happen.......we've already seen that this season when it was thrown away by whatever or whoever you believe is responsible

SO i thought i would start a survey to gauge the level of support for smith and must say that i am AMAZED that so many people on this forum would accept not winning the league for a fourth time in a row

despite all the obvious faults that smith has a manager, which have been clearly highlighted by rangers and everton fans alike, and he clearly is incapable of change or learning because to this day he still makes them...........

if smith isnt the man to take us forward then i want someone who will next time, not another sidestep or steadyin the ship, it may take a few years for him to do so, but ultimately thats football.........

Ive seen more than enough years of rangers with smith at the helm to know what he offers and am confident that this will not change, hence he should step down if the league isnt won this term

I haven't seen anyone say that! :blink:

I am AMAZED we're seeing people assume we'll lose the league next season - without even knowing what the full squad will be.

I am AMAZED we're seeing people assume we'll lose the league next season - without even knowing what the full squad will be.

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS ARE ON FORUMS AND CANNOT GET THE WHOLE POINT OF THEM, ITS FOR SPECULATION, FACT, FICTION, WHAT WILL HAPPEN, WHAT WONT, WHAT MIGHT AND WHAT SHOULD

I NEVER SAID WE WILL, I HOPE THAT DONT, IT MIGHT NOT, IT MIGHT

GET IT? ffs

I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS ARE ON FORUMS AND CANNOT GET THE WHOLE POINT OF THEM, ITS FOR SPECULATION, FACT, FICTION, WHAT WILL HAPPEN, WHAT WONT, WHAT MIGHT AND WHAT SHOULD

GET IT? ffs

It would be better for you not to describe those who are disagreeing with you on this forum as a 'bunch of morons'.

This is against our rules.

Thank you.

GET IT? ffs

It would be better for you not to describe those who are disagreeing with you on this forum as a 'bunch of morons'.

Thank you.

i think its unfair to pick out individuals but its aimed at anyone who doesnt get the point of forum

GET IT? ffs

Thank you.

i think its unfair to pick out individuals but its aimed at anyone who doesnt get the point of forum

Wow, what a lot of anger you have haha

Are you just into flaming people rather than debating? also, I may add, a point of forums ;)