***Champions League Draw Thread***

picture1rd1.png

I wouldnt dream of taking anything away from the Champions League, i love and respect the competition far too much.

But in all honesty, it's the weakest it's looked in years this year.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Five British clubs will discover their Champions League opponents when the draw for the group stages is made at 1700 BST on Thursday.

Holders Manchester United, along with Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Celtic will be involved.

The 32 teams in the pot will be split into eight groups of four teams, with the first set of matches due to be played on 16/17 September.

The four English sides will be kept apart after being made top seeds.

Celtic could face any one of the English sides after being drawn in the third pot of clubs.

Liverpool and Arsenal both came through qualifying, along with the likes of Barcelona and Juventus to make it to the lucrative stages of Europe's premier competition.

European heavyweights like Real Madrid, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich come into the competition at the group stages.

But Scottish side Rangers failed to make it through the qualifying stages, while 2007 winners AC Milan missed out after finishing fifth in Serie A last season.

The eight group winners plus the runners-up go through to the knockout stages of the competition, while the teams finishing third go into the Uefa Cup.

Rome's Stadio Olimpico will stage the Champions League final on 27 May 2009.

The stadium was the venue for Liverpool's European Cup triumphs in 1977 and 1984 and also played host to Juventus' victory in 1996.

AS Roma, who play their home games at the Stadio Olimpico, are involved in the competition.

The winner of the Uefa Club Footballer of the Year will also be announced on Thursday.

England's 'big four' clubs provide 17 of the 20 players on the shortlist for the award.

Schalke keeper Manuel Neuer and Barcelona pair Lionel Messi and Carlos Puyol are the only non-Premier League players to be nominated.

Any way for the bbc to have a sly dig at us <_<

BBC also showing their disgraceful agenda against AC Milan

ahahhaha, pwned!

I'm already having visions of the headlines along the lines of, celtc fans leave Manchester in one piece, in a sort of rubbing it in kind of way.

picture1rd1.png

I wouldnt dream of taking anything away from the Champions League, i love and respect the competition far too much.

I totally agree.

Looking at it from the outside for a change, so many poor teams in it.

Any anyone who thinks Aalborg will be a walkover for Celtic, don't be fooled!

picture1rd1.png

The low seeds are truly pathetic this year. They're usually the strong teams in weaker nations like Greece or Turkey. This year they're scraping the barrell of Aalborg and Bate Borisov.

And the absence of Milan plus the rather watery Lyon in their first seed place symptomises what's wrong.

There are a few stronger groups like Real Madrid's, but Liverpool's plays like a Uefa Cup quarter finalist's group.

It's an odd CL this year for sure.

I agree. CFR Clujnapoca for AC Milan just isn't right :P

who the hell is Clunapoca :craphead:

Cluj, from North Western Romania.

:craphead: unbelievable...Chelsea must have a big grin on their face over that one suprised they didn't end up in Celtics group

They'd still beat Celtic away.