Good interview with Mendes on yesterday with Portuguese website

Pedro Mendes’ remarkable start to life at new club Rangers continued with a goal and a superb individual performance as his side beat fierce rivals Celtic 4-2 on Sunday.

The Portuguese midfielder, who arrived at Ibrox last month from English Premiership club Portsmouth, had already won plaudits for his opening couple of performance in a Rangers shirt, but his display against Celtic was the perfect way to celebrate a recent international call-up with the Portuguese national side.

Mendes’ first goal in Scotland was one to remember, with the importance of the strike matched by its quality. The Portuguese was picked out from a corner over twenty metres from goal, and unleashed a trademark low drive into the bottom left corner, putting his side 3-1 up at the home of their bitter rivals.

“It’s always good to get goals and when you move to a new club, you always want to score as quickly as possible,” Mendes said after the match. “That is the case for midfielders as well as strikers and if you have a chance, you want to net so that you have something to build on.

“Scoring in this game in particular is very special. It was a fantastic win and a fantastic performance from the team. It was a great environment to play in and it just confirmed what people had told me during the week. We controlled the game, we scored good goals and we passed the ball around the park very well. Overall, it was a very good performance from us.”

“Big win for us”

The result sees Rangers the early leaders in the Scottish Premier League, with ten points from four matches, and Mendes is keen for the team to remain focused in order to maintain their position and reclaim the title from their city rivals.

“It was a big win for us, especially after the tough start to the season we have had and three away games in our first four. This win is massive for us as it gives us confidence, motivation and something to build on.

“We want to keep getting better and we are gelling well at the moment. There is a lot of quality in the side but we still have a long way to go. The main thing we take from this win is three points and it means we are top of the league going into our next match.

“We didn’t want to be second with seven points and looking up the table at Celtic. Now we’ve got that boost, we must do everything we can to hold our position.”

http://www.portugoal.net/PortAbroad0809/20...Celtic-Goal.htm

I like this guy more every time I see him play, and every time I read an interview from him. He oozes class (tu)

Did Boumsong and Cuellar not teach us anything?

End of the day, I like what he's doing on the pitch, and he's saying the 'right' things in interviews, but does that make me 'trust' him? No.

We've been betrayed too many times to be able to trust anything a player says any more.

I like this guy more every time I see him play, and every time I read an interview from him. He oozes class (tu)

End of the day, I like what he's doing on the pitch, and he's saying the 'right' things in interviews, but does that make me 'trust' him? No.

We've been betrayed too many times to be able to trust anything a player says any more.

I didn't say I trusted him :unsure: I take it you're with the X-Files? :shifty:

:lol:

I didn't say I trusted him :unsure: I take it you're with the X-Files? :shifty:

:lol:

Call me Mulder :)

hopefully coz he's a bit older and has already done his stint in the Premiership he will be with us for a while

That's the one thing I cling onto in this case. But he might get homesick and want to go back to Portugal.

I am just gonna enjoy him while he's here and no more.

hopefully coz he's a bit older and has already done his stint in the Premiership he will be with us for a while

That's the one thing I cling onto in this case. But he might get homesick and want to go back to Portugal.

nothing like looking on the bright side of life! :craphead:

If he can get called up to the Portuguese squad while playing in the SPL then there is hope he may hang around for a while.

Normally players are automatically overlooked simply because they play in Scotland.

The one good thing about him is he is on £32000 a week.Not many other clubs can afford him & he has done the EPL.

also 29 so no young thing either.I think he will look forward to playing in CL next season as if we keep playing like that we will breeze the SPL.

Should be looking to tie him right up

I think the difference with Mendes is, he came to us when we had no Euro football, and, were pretty low. He has already had a couple of clubs in the premiership, won the champions league, international (and recently recalled!) so, we arent really a stepping stone are we? He has achieved all of what Boumsong and Cuellar want to achieve, which I think does make it very different

I have done a search and want the quote for a new sig. It is something along the lines of "People said it was a step down moving from the Premiership to the SPL bu I see it as moving from Premiiership to Rangers"

Just want his exact quote, Cheers (tu):rangers:

Guest Andypendek

Man, it's just the weather. Southern Europeans must get freaked at the 5 hours of daylight and constant grey...it does my head in, so what it would do to someone from the sun I can't imagine. Hopefully we'll get an Indian summer.