Is Walter Smith still the right man to manage our Football club?

Columbo

Is Walter Smith the right man for the Job?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Is Walter the right man?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wait Until the Season's finished before deciding

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all right to say get rid of Walter,but who do you replace him with,don't say McCoist or McDowall as they seem to pick the team anyway

Absolutely superb, lets all knock WS and chant for him to go...I will join in if you tell me who will replace him.....Certainly can't think of anyone at the moment...Le Guen was brought in to be a hero and take us to the next level, money poured into the team...what a dismal failure that was. WS was brought in, stopped the rot, created a bit of belief, salvaged what was possibly heading into one of the worst seasons in recent memory, rebuilt, won two trophies and a UEFA cup final...yeah the guy is shit....suggested replacements welcome but I find it hard to believe that there are so many willing to knock the guy!!!

For the moment yes.

For the long term no.

However until the right man comes along.

Thats my view also.

I think this is the most sensible view (tu)

Walter recognises that he's not going to be here for the long haul.

For the moment yes.

For the long term no.

However until the right man comes along.

Thats my view also.

I think this is the most sensible view (tu)

Walter recognises that he's not going to be here for the long haul.

him being here at the start of next season is one season too long

Am with Badger and Coops on this one

and, as a side note, this is the exact kind of thread that Murray was on about last night ;)

I've never really disliked SDM but tough titty David (tu)

He is (ofcourse).

To those who say he's the right man now but won't be in 2010..... why not wait until then and see how well he's doing? Rangers fans are too quick to forget the good aspects of the club. Past legends are revered like myths, while our contemporary legends like Ferguson and Smith are spoken of as though they are useless.

Some of the criticism Smith comes in for is a disgrace considering his achievements, past and present.

When WS eventually goes the next manager will have the toughest job in World Football.

No money, massive debt, having to sell to keep the chairman happy, no time to do anything with the squad and a massive squad filled with over rated/over payed/over hyped players

Be like bringing in PLG all over again.

Then everyone will say "I wish we had Walter back" just the way SDM likes it

Some of you have lost the plot. The man could have done the quadruple with a poor and largely inherited squad last season had it not been for the SFA giving us impossible fixtures to deal with.

This season we ripped Celtic apart and have done fairly well (a marked improvement on our last two managers anyway) despite our captain being out injured and some of us do nothing but moan.

Do we forget how dramatically Smith turned it around in his first half season and the fact that we were on for a quad last season?

I tell you, appreciate it while he's here, because we'll have a hard time finding another man of his quality.

....and as for people asking how long he'll live on last season's glory: are you kidding me??

This is the man who took us to 9IAR, not to mention trhe fact that he brought people like Gascoigne, Cuellar, Laudrup and Albertz to the club.

I'm thinking that we should change the ''ready'' motto to '' greet when we lose, greet when we win''.

Think, people!

When WS eventually goes the next manager will have the toughest job in World Football.

No money, massive debt, having to sell to keep the chairman happy, no time to do anything with the squad and a massive squad filled with over rated/over payed/over hyped players

Be like bringing in PLG all over again.

Then everyone will say "I wish we had Walter back" just the way SDM likes it

The only thing is that the new management will be yet more yes men with f*ck all managerial experience. So we'll probably be even worse off.

Some of you have lost the plot. The man could have done the quadruple with a poor and largely inherited squad last season had it not been for the SFA giving us impossible fixtures to deal with.

This season we ripped Celtic apart and have done fairly well (a marked improvement on our last two managers anyway) despite our captain being out injured and some of us do nothing but moan.

Do we forget how dramatically Smith turned it around in his firs half season and the fact that we were on for a quad last season?

I tell you, appreciate it while he's here, because we'll have a hard time finding another man of his quality.

....and as for people asking how long he'll live on last season's glory: are you kidding me??

This is the man who took us to 9IAR, not to mention trhe fact that he brought people like Gascoigne, Cuellar, Laudrup and Albertz to the club.

Think, people!

That's it, it's all the SFA and SPL's fault. Forget the fact that our manager made poor signings, his stubborrness, poor tactics/formation, poor form away from home against the bottom 6....

We ripped celtc apart but still sit behind them. A lot down to the players but also down to our managers tactics, formation and personnel.

It couldn't of got any worse!

Fuck the past, these days he's a footballing dinosaur.

That last post betrays your lack of footballing knowledge, Muff.

Without those ''negative'' tactics we wouldn't have made it past the last 16 in the uefa, nor would we have been in a position to win a treble. You just don't understand that a team of such poor talent must play on the counter against teams like Bremen with the likes of Diego......

and the fact that the tactic was so successful is testament to our manager.

You ignore the fact that Smith is working with a limited budget and a team that cost considerably less than the current Celtic squad. You also fail to justify your ridiculous ''dinosaur'' tag.

Without those ''negative'' tactics we wouldn't have made it past the last 16 in the uefa, nor would we have been in a position to win a treble. You just don't understand that a team of such poor talent must play on the counter against teams like Bremen with the likes of Diego......

You ignore the fact that Smith is working with a limited budget and a team that cost considerably less than the current Celtic squad. You also fail to justify your ridiculous ''dinosaur'' tag.

i think he has spenty plenty.

So what about the SPL matches and Cups? I wasn't expecting us to play fast, attacking football against the likes of Werder Bremen, Fiorentina, Lyon, Barcelona, Sporting CP....however he got it wrong in the league, was too cautious at times and some of the personnel he picked were shite.

Limited budget????

Shows your footballing knowledge!

I share alot of yout thoughts above. He has taken a mediocre side to a Euro final, now you can`t deny that he lacks man management can you?

How long is Smith going to be living off that?

He probably has used up all his luck on the way there, and don't get me started on the final!

Yes you're right, he has spent plenty, but has also been forced to sell his two best players. £16 million from that and he's not got the ability to attract players of the same established calibre in to the SPL. People don't consider the circumstances. The Rangers job is harder than any job in English football and arguably any other job in Scotland.

So what about the SPL matches and Cups? I wasn't expecting us to play fast, attacking football against the likes of Werder Bremen, Fiorentina, Lyon, Barcelona, Sporting CP....however he got it wrong in the league, was too cautious at times and some of the personnel he picked were shite.

Limited budget????

Shows your footballing knowledge!

Actually, the conservative tactics were also the best possible method to conserve the energy of a decidedly bare squad in light of a torrid fixture list. HHow many games did the likes of the aging Davie Weir have to play last season? We totally understate the debilitating diffuculties that Smith faces in his job at Rangers

Yes you're right, he has spent plenty, but has also been forced to sell his two best players. £16 million from that and he's not got the ability to attract players of the same established calibre in to the SPL. People don't consider the circumstances. The Rangers job is harder than any job in English football and arguably any other job in Scotland.

Well he managed to attract the likes of Bougherra, Mendes and Davis. Three quality players, two of them proven Premiership players.

He's also wasted money. You obviously don't know the quality around Europe, the clubs they play for and how much they move for. There is plenty out there. Smith just chose to waste some of it on his mates/ex players/shite...