Walter on the problems of bringing through youth

Boab

He will never change from the guy who frustrated and dispirited the youth coaches and their charges first time around.

He has never cared about our youth system which is why he stood back first time and left in charge a guy who, in my opinion and that of most of the youth coaches, was a serial bully who put too many youngsters out of love with the game.

Why are people still surprised at his refusal to blood youngsters considering his record?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He will never change from the guy who frustrated and dispirited the youth coaches and their charges first time around.

He has never cared about our youth system which is why he stood back first time and left in charge a guy who, in my opinion and that of most of the youth coaches, was a serial bully who put too many youngsters out of love with the game.

Why are people still surprised at his refusal to blood youngsters considering his record?

he will never change.

WALTER SMITH insists a black hole of lost talent in Scotland is responsible for the dearth of youngsters making the grade at Rangers - not the club's youth policy.

The manager believes the country is simply no longer producing players of the same calibre that graced football grounds two decades ago.

He claims that throwing youngsters into the first team these days is just too big a gamble at a club like Rangers where demands for success are instant.

advertisement

Addressing shareholders at yesterday's AGM, Smith was quizzed on the lack of talented youngsters coming through the ranks at Rangers.

"There are deep-rooted reasons. One of the problems we have is the amount of talent available to us in Scotland.

"We have one or two boys who may, next season, be involved in our group. But it's a very difficult decision for a manager to make.

"There are very, very few young players in Scotland just now who reach the level that's required to come in and play for Rangers - or Celtic for that matter."

Smith admitted changes in social patterns had played a big part in the country's talent pool drying up.

The Ibrox gaffer added: "This is the problem that we have in Scotland.

Overall, we are not producing the same number of players that we did 20 and 30 years ago, when, due to the level of poverty, all we ever did was play football.

"It's not just a problem we have at Rangers - we have it in Scotland. Our youth policy at Rangers, I think, is as good as anywhere.

"The problem we have is the amount of kids who are not good enough to come in and play for Rangers.

"That's something that's deeper than the professional game in Scotland.

"It goes right down to educational authorities and a lack of sports funding in Scotland."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2459494.0.0.php

1. Walter, you could give these boys a chance, For example, instead of bringing in Christian Dailly there surely must be a youngster that could be given a chance before he was brought in?

2. Agreed that kids need better facilities. Council's can be very awkward.

3. I think the coaching has improved, I've seen it myself through college and volunteer work.

4. Agree about poverty but if the sports facilities were better then the Wii and video games might not be as appealing.

Thats the only point i disagree with!

Facilities now have never been as good here in South Lanarkshire, it's all 3g and the majority of grass pitches are 2nd to none now (tu)

But they cost a fair bit.

I'm just up the road from you, and there's not many free parks in decent condition.

Papa the School have free access to these 3G pitches, infact most schools now have there own top notch pitches.

It's a 100% better than the ash pitches, i used to have to play on growing up <cr>

Are the kids allowed to use them outwith school hours though?

Schools run clubs after school, I've personally seen youth football clubs with includes, Celtic,Accies,Scotland boys club etc all running programmes while i'm training with my Amateur club and thats boys and girls football clubs

The palace grounds do cheaper prices for U16

As i said the Facilities are 100% better than when we were that age

If we fail to win the SPL this season, we will not see any youth next year either

Walter is a footballing dinosaur who has wasted a lot of good young players in the past

:huh:

Which good young players has he wasted?

WALTER SMITH insists a black hole of lost talent in Scotland is responsible for the dearth of youngsters making the grade at Rangers - not the club's youth policy.

The manager believes the country is simply no longer producing players of the same calibre that graced football grounds two decades ago.

He claims that throwing youngsters into the first team these days is just too big a gamble at a club like Rangers where demands for success are instant.

advertisement

Addressing shareholders at yesterday's AGM, Smith was quizzed on the lack of talented youngsters coming through the ranks at Rangers.

"There are deep-rooted reasons. One of the problems we have is the amount of talent available to us in Scotland.

"We have one or two boys who may, next season, be involved in our group. But it's a very difficult decision for a manager to make.

"There are very, very few young players in Scotland just now who reach the level that's required to come in and play for Rangers - or Celtic for that matter."

Smith admitted changes in social patterns had played a big part in the country's talent pool drying up.

The Ibrox gaffer added: "This is the problem that we have in Scotland.

Overall, we are not producing the same number of players that we did 20 and 30 years ago, when, due to the level of poverty, all we ever did was play football.

"It's not just a problem we have at Rangers - we have it in Scotland. Our youth policy at Rangers, I think, is as good as anywhere.

"The problem we have is the amount of kids who are not good enough to come in and play for Rangers.

"That's something that's deeper than the professional game in Scotland.

"It goes right down to educational authorities and a lack of sports funding in Scotland."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2459494.0.0.php

1. Walter, you could give these boys a chance, For example, instead of bringing in Christian Dailly there surely must be a youngster that could be given a chance before he was brought in?

3. I think the coaching has improved, I've seen it myself through college and volunteer work.

4. Agree about poverty but if the sports facilities were better then the Wii and video games might not be as appealing.

Facilities now have never been as good here in South Lanarkshire, it's all 3g and the majority of grass pitches are 2nd to none now (tu)

But they cost a fair bit.

I'm just up the road from you, and there's not many free parks in decent condition.

Papa the School have free access to these 3G pitches, infact most schools now have there own top notch pitches.

It's a 100% better than the ash pitches, i used to have to play on growing up <cr>

Schools like holy cross have their own 11 aside pitch

Colleges and universitys rent out their halls for very little if you are a student

I have went down the Palace Grounds a few times to practice my goal kicks and as long as I dont mess up the park I'm Allowed. Its empty

There are 2 3g parks in Hamilton, 1 in Wishaw and 1 in Bellshill that I can think of. Numerous 5 and 7 aside parks and a few ash parks that you can go and play on for nothing (Strathclyde park)

The changing rooms have improved dramatically and some clubs will rent their own parks out to you for a nominal fee.

Facilities and the availability of parks have never been so good

If we fail to win the SPL this season, we will not see any youth next year either

Walter is a footballing dinosaur who has wasted a lot of good young players in the past

He tried to sell barry Ferguson for starters.

That basically tells you all you need to know about Smith. He simply can't handle a talented youngster in the ranks

That basically tells you all you need to know about Smith. He simply can't handle a talented youngster in the ranks

Tried to sell Barry

Wouldnt play Gattuso in his natural position

Wouldnt give Wayne Rooney a chance in the first team

He is clueless

I see what you're saying Jim, but he didn't waste Ferguson.

I can't really think of any players who he's let leave the club who have gone on to bigger and better things. Not that you can get any bigger or better than us of course ;)

Tried to sell Barry

Wouldnt play Gattuso in his natural position

Wouldnt give Wayne Rooney a chance in the first team

He is clueless

I thought it was DA who played Rino at right back and that he was the one who "wasted" Rino? Rooney was hardly wasted by Smith. Smith hasn't stifled Rooney's career in any way shape or form.

I hate this "what players went on to have successful careers at other clubs then?" arguement.

When a youngster is released from a club, it takes an incredible amount of mental effort to get back on track again. Who knows what would have became of Alan Hutton if McLeish released him after his dreadful debut in that December game against Thistle? Some grab the opportunity and relish the pressures, some don't.

In any case, i think it's safe to say that Charlie Miller (for one) wouldn't be plying his trade in the Tippeligaen if he had been working under a Rangers manager who was stricter when it came to alcohol and diet.

I hate this "what players went on to have successful careers at other clubs then?" arguement.

When a youngster is released from a club, it takes an incredible amount of mental effort to get back on track again. Who knows what would have became of Alan Hutton if McLeish released him after his dreadful debut in that December game against Thistle? Some grab the opportunity and relish the pressures, some don't.

In any case, i think it's safe to say that Charlie Miller (for one) wouldn't be plying his trade in the Tippeligaen if he had been working under a Rangers manager who was stricter when it came to alcohol and diet.

Well, the "what players went on to have successful careers at other clubs then?" argument is a more logical way of approaching something like this than a hypothetical "what would have happened if player x was released then" argument.

Well, the "what players went on to have successful careers at other clubs then?" argument is a more logical way of approaching something like this than a hypothetical "what would have happened if player x was released then" argument.

People don't take my hypothetical arguement as gospel, though. :)

I think Jiminez' post about Smith not bringing through one successful youth player is more logical than both of these arguements.

If I was a youth player at Rangers right now and reading these comments I would be looking for another club. What sort of message does this send out to the youngsters or to any other young players we try to sign for that matter?

"Aye come to Rangers if you want but you have NO chance of making the first team"

Pathetic !!

Or if your a YTS centre back at Rangers and you see Lee McCulloch in your position in the reserves!

People don't take my hypothetical arguement as gospel, though. :)

I think Jiminez' post about Smith not bringing through one successful youth player is more logical than both of these arguements.

You calling me a preacher? :harhar:

I was just picking up on someone else saying he wasted good young players in the past.....

Our Council are being awkward anyway, we have people wanting to take over the facilities as a community project but they just keep on stalling!

And I know some of the councillors!

Steven Naismith so far, a striker played out wide.

Our Council are being awkward anyway, we have people wanting to take over the facilities as a community project but they just keep on stalling!

And I know some of the councillors!

Boab but the fact is.... the facilities have never been better for kids in and outside of School (tu)

So basically there is nobod (youth players) at our club capable of playing for us

That's the feeling you get.

Murray Park - what's the fucking point?

The whole statement from Walter depresses me!! Mind you i should know better, Barry Ferguson would never had made as a Gers player if Walter hadn't moved on from his 1st spell in charge.

Youth?? = an alien concept to Walter Smith.

Steven Naismith so far, a striker played out wide.

Are you really using Steven Naismith as an example of a young player Smith has 'wasted'?

For one thing, he brought him to Rangers in the first place - so he has effectively added a good young player to the squad. Secondly, when he got injured we were riding high on top of the league, heading for a UEFA Cup Final and on course to win 2 domestic cups. I think he was used effectively as part of the squad up till that point - certainly not wasted.

He also played an absolute blinder against Hibs away as a wide man when we beat them 2-1 (going on 5-1).

He played Naismith on the right of a defensive midfield five 99% of the time.

Total waste IMO.

I just don't agree with that at all. He played there a couple of times - and one of those occasions (against Stuttgart??) was because someone came off injured.