The rise in Scottish Nationalism within our support

GOAT

Has there always been a small part of our support who want independence? It seems, judging by some members of this forum anyway, that some our supporters actually hate all things Britain and would rather see Scotland fail on it's own than stand strong together as a Union.

Has there always been a small part of our support who want independence? It seems, judging by some members of this forum anyway, that some our supporters actually hate all things Britain and would rather see Scotland fail on it's own than stand strong together as a Union.

A hard one to answer. The internet has exposed us to the differing views of others...a platform which never existed before of course.

Then there is the safety of posting comments from a keyboard.....how many would express such views in The Calvay Club or the Louden ? :shifty:

And then again...as a club of the people such a rise in such support amongst the general populace is bound to be reflected in our support.

Probably a few halfwits who sing GSTQ at bears games and boo it at Scotland games.I would like to see some of the Mel Gibsons try and tell the rank and file bears to refrain from flying the Union Flag at games away from the safety of their laptops.

As a Scottish Nationalist and 22 year Season ticket holder at Rangers - what the fuck has my politics got to do with my love of the club. Leave the baggage of political association behind and enjoy the football. WATP

who cares if rangers supporters want independance or not. i for one arent bothered if we were to become independant or not as i dont take any interest in politics. If someone wants to take a scottish flag,union flag or a NI flag then that is there choice and it should be respected by others.

I see it as i support rangers as a football team and not a political wagon.

My belief in our right to run ourselves will never affect my love for Rangers. I appreciate a lot of Bears love and believe in the whole union thing, good for you, I also stand for your right to sing about Britain, I don't, it does not make me less of a bear.

Union or Independence?

doesn't matter UNITED WE STAND

WATP

Much like the founders of our club - I'm very proud to be Scottish!

It's possibly one of the saddest aspects of being a Rangers fan that people who class themselves as true blue supporters of the club fail to know much about the men who founded our club, men who were proud play for Rangers and at the same time proudly represent our nation and wear the navy blue of Scotland.

You'd almost think there were folk on here who put an imagined Ulster heritage over the clubs clear and documented Scottish historical roots.

A real shame. But I guess it doesn't take much to buy a tcket and sing about the UDA (or some weird desire to see a not very attractive part of Northern Ireland before you die???) - where as it does take a lot to actually support the club, it's players, it's manager and it's actual principles and history.

So being pro Scotland, pro being a proud nation, potentially pro independance, is very much a part of being a true Rangers fan - it is a Scottish club after all! As for hating all things British - hardly the motivation for anyone who wants independence (but for the majority of Scots who peddle in all the Ulsta pish, that's probably a hard concept to grasp!)

I wouldnt let the SNP run a bus service never mind the country.

so you'd like Labour/Tories to govern over another 40 odd years of social & economic deprivation in the Lanarkshire/ Glasgow & Ayrshire?

Im only 17 and theyve seemed to have done orite so far.

Scotland wouldnt last for long on its own.

It's possibly one of the saddest aspects of being a Rangers fan that people who class themselves as true blue supporters of the club fail to know much about the men who founded our club, men who were proud play for Rangers and at the same time proudly represent our nation and wear the navy blue of Scotland.

You'd almost think there were folk on here who put an imagined Ulster heritage over the clubs clear and documented Scottish historical roots.

A real shame. But I guess it doesn't take much to buy a tcket and sing about the UDA (or some weird desire to see a not very attractive part of Northern Ireland before you die???) - where as it does take a lot to actually support the club, it's players, it's manager and it's actual principles and history.

So being pro Scotland, pro being a proud nation, potentially pro independance, is very much a part of being a true Rangers fan - it is a Scottish club after all! As for hating all things British - hardly the motivation for anyone who wants independence (but for the majority of Scots who peddle in all the Ulsta pish, that's probably a hard concept to grasp!)

Post was actually ok before that pile of pish at the end

Look into the history of the `Ulster plantations' mate.You as a true Scot? will

obviously be well versed, on the part that our true Scottish forefathers played

in the making of NI as it is today.

Or is that `Ulsta pish' a hard concept to grasp?.

A real shame. But I guess it doesn't take much to buy a tcket and sing about the UDA (or some weird desire to see a not very attractive part of Northern Ireland before you die???)

The Glens of Antrim are very nice actually. :D

But getting back to the original topic, we are a broad church and the club is not a political vehicle. Not every Rangers fan by any means conforms to the Protestant, Unionist, right-wing stereotype.

A real shame. But I guess it doesn't take much to buy a tcket and sing about the UDA (or some weird desire to see a not very attractive part of Northern Ireland before you die???)

The Glens of Antrim are very nice actually. :D

But getting back to the original topic, we are a broad church and the club is not a political vehicle. Not every Rangers fan by any means conforms to the Protestant, Unionist, right-wing stereotype.

Correct its just the Protestant ones that are constantly questioned

I'm very familiar with the history of Ulster, being that my Great Grandfather was from Belfast. I'm proud of that heritage - in fact very proud.

One of the strange aspects of that pride, is a disgust for the majority of the Ulsta pish sung at our away games. It's based on ignorance and hatred. It conforms to the lowest common denominator, and it undermines Rangers as a proud institution.

I'll tell you when I'm really proud. I'm really proud of my heritage when I stand at Ravenhill and watch a crowd of fans of a club celebrate Ulster without confusing it with support for paramilitary groups or anti catholicism. That's people celebrating their culture. Please NEVER confuse a pride or love of Ulster, it's heritage or it's part in Scotland's history with the crap that's sung over here!

I'm very familiar with the history of Ulster, being that my Great Grandfather was from Belfast. I'm proud of that heritage - in fact very proud.

One of the strange aspects of that pride, is a disgust for the majority of the Ulsta pish sung at our away games. It's based on ignorance and hatred. It conforms to the lowest common denominator, and it undermines Rangers as a proud institution.

I'll tell you when I'm really proud. I'm really proud of my heritage when I stand at Ravenhill and watch a crowd of fans of a club celebrate Ulster without confusing it with support for paramilitary groups or anti catholicism. That's people celebrating their culture. Please NEVER confuse a pride or love of Ulster, it's heritage or it's part in Scotland's history with the crap that's sung over here!

What if I was to suggest ,as you put ,an imagined Ulster heritage then?.

Don't worry,I don't confuse.

Oh I would just love you to provide evidence for such a ridiculous statement.

Go on.

Make my day.