• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter wasted the following money:

McCulloch 2.5m

Whittaker 2.0m

Lafferty 3.5m

Edu 2.5m

Velicka 1.0m

Naismith 2.0m (injured but would he displace Miller or Boyd?)

Certainly there is potential in Whittaker, Lafferty, Edu and Naismith, but for 10m you should get confirmed starters surely.

Plus wages on JCD, Gow, Webster, Aaron, Daily, etc.

McCulloch 2.5m

Whittaker 2.0m

Lafferty 3.5m

Edu 2.5m

Velicka 1.0m

Certainly there is potential in Whittaker, Lafferty, Edu and Naismith, but for 10m you should get confirmed starters surely.

for him to waste this money on these signing it would mean releasing them or selling them for a lesser fee. These guys can contribute to the team at some point and may score a valuable goal which could win us the title and would they be worth their money then?

to say that these guys r wasted money is harsh at this point in the season. They will get used at some point.

McCulloch 2.5m

Whittaker 2.0m

Lafferty 3.5m

Edu 2.5m

Velicka 1.0m

for him to waste this money on these signing it would mean releasing them or selling them for a lesser fee. These guys can contribute to the team at some point and may score a valuable goal which could win us the title and would they be worth their money then?

to say that these guys r wasted money is harsh at this point in the season. They will get used at some point.

Not really, Velicka could score 4 or 5 goals for us and he would still be a waste of money in my eyes. £1M for him was nothing short of an absurd waste of resources and could have been put to far better use.

Edu, Naismith and Lafferty are a waste they've not had much chance.

Don't see how Velicka is a waste as what would happen if we had a string of injuries up front like Celtic have the now.

cant say i agree with you on this...as i have mentioned before, both Smith and Murray (believe it or not) and finally seen the light and realised that a small investment in potential now, could mean mega bucks in the future...edu,naismith and lafferty are all 22 or younger and they will develop into top class players over the next 3-4 seasons...if you consider strikers for example, if lafferty were to come onto a right good game for gers and nth ireland over the next two seasons, i have no doubt we will have suitors knocking on the door willing to pay 5-6 mill, if not more (if you consider inflation over the next few yrs)..right there, you have doubled your money...same goes for naisy and edu...smith realises that in order to survive financially, we cant afford to buy players for 5-6 mill, so he is getting some younger guys together for cheaper, hoping they can do the business, then be sold on...many top class clubs all over the world have gone down this route, and i cannot argue with it...

McCulloch 2.5m

Whittaker 2.0m

Lafferty 3.5m

Edu 2.5m

Velicka 1.0m

Not really, Velicka could score 4 or 5 goals for us and he would still be a waste of money in my eyes. £1M for him was nothing short of an absurd waste of resources and could have been put to far better use.

and the rest?

I never rated Velicka. I think he was signed more for the fact that we obviously expected to be playing European football this season therefore would have needed to rotate our squad more especially in recent league cup games. Maybe he might have been of some use then but still not worth 1m

I never rated Velicka. I think he was signed more for the fact that we obviously expected to be playing European football this season therefore would have needed to rotate our squad more especially in recent league cup games. Maybe he might have been of some use then but still not worth 1m

Completely agree, might have been a handy back up against lower opposition in domestic cup games but we could say that about most of our reserve team who will never get a game. Total waste of £1 million plus wages for a mediocre player who was not needed.

McCulloch 2.5m

Whittaker 2.0m

Lafferty 3.5m

Edu 2.5m

Velicka 1.0m

and the rest?

Well McCulloch was an abomanation of a purchase and the fee's for Lafferty and Whittaker were excessive. The Edu and Naismith buys are fine in my book.

Velicka is just a total horror buy. An unconditioned, techincally lacking striker. The fact he has struggled to command a regular spot at teams such as Hearts, Viking FK and Lithuania tells you all you need to know about him. A scarily crap player.

In my opinion, the injury to Thomson shows that some of the guys mentioned in this thread are necessary i.e. Whittaker, Lafferty, Edu, Verlicka, Naismith... I think that given the opportunity, each one could all come in and do a good job for the team.

Look at what is happening at the Tims just now. All it takes is a couple more injuries to key players and everyone would be greeting about a lack of cover. Am i wrong?

a decent player , signed as cover for boyd , imo

i think he would score a few goals for us , given the chance

I agree with that. I think he coul do a job covering for any injury's that we may have up front. Its important to have a squad incase these things happen. £1m isnt exactly the biggest transfer fee in the world.

It is when it's wasted on a mediocre player who struggles to get a game for the reserves. Could easily of been put towards a 1st team regular or even a better back-up player.

• 1 month later...

So that's almost two months since this thread was started and he's not featured at all.

What's wrong, he still feeling tired, suffering from burnout - na didn't think so.

What a shite signing.

I've got to agree. I don't think he'll ever feature unless there is a spate of injuries up front

He'll never get a game - Boyd, Miller, Lafferty, Darcheville, Naismith, Novo, McCulloch are all ahead of him.

I disagree with everyone (as usual) Velicka is a better than average power forward,who when totally fit,will be an excellent addition to our team.Think about it

now,before you start sceaming at me,cos you know I'm usually right. :craphead:

The waste of resources more than Velicka's ability (don't know enough about him) is getting me right now. We're clearly not in the best financial state and it seems we need to off load at least half a dozen players and will struggle to be able to bid for anyone ourselves. Why then, was 1 million spent on this guy? 1 million is alot to us these days and the guys picking up first team wages every week to play in the reserves! Waste of money.

The £1m and £2.7m spent on Velicka and Edu could have bought us a centre back, someone like your Bougherra, Cuellar or Tonel. But instead stubborn old Cardigan would rather offer his friends new deals or waste it on players and positions that we did not need.

With a quality centre back, we would not have dropped points at Pittodrie, we may have gained a point at Love Street, got past Kaunas, beaten Dundee United at both Ibrox and Tannadice!

Na, that's far too simple, let's continue to offer over the hill and mediocre players new contracts/deals instead of actually having a think to what we need and the quality we require.

Not only this, before the european games our manager goes and spends 7.5 million on three centre forwards when it was probably the strongest position in the team with Boyd, Novo, Cousin and Darcheville all available. Midfield was clearly our weakest position with Ferguson injured and Davis going back to Fulham, some of that 7.5 million on the strikers could have been used to buy your Mendes or Davis or maybe even both. But no, he only makes those transfers when its all too late for europe, just one midfield signing could have made all the difference against Kaunas.