Velicka not vexed at strike snub

bombaybadboy08

ANDRIUS VELICKA has found himself out of sight and perhaps out of mind of the supporters at Rangers.

But the powerful striker insists he isn't feeling sorry for himself after watching Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller build up a partnership in the Ibrox attack.

The Lithuanian striker was signed by Walter Smith at the beginning of the season and was tipped to play an important role for the club.

Leading the line in the first league game of the season, the former Hearts hitman scored the only goal of the game to get his new team off to a winning start against Falkirk.

He also started in the following match against Hearts, which Gers also won but that was his last top team outing.

Indeed, the 29-year-old has not even managed to make it on to the bench since then, as the likes of Nacho Novo, Jean-Claude Darcheville and young Rory Loy have all featured ahead of him.

For some, the frustration would be too much to deal with but Velicka hasn't been banging on Walter Smith's door demanding answers.

And he is confident he will eventually be given another opportunity to show what he can do.

He said: "Of course I am a little disappointed but that's life. It happens at big clubs and I just need to work hard and wait for my chance. I am sure I will get it.

"It's a big squad and we are not in Europe. When you are playing in the Champions League or the Uefa Cup then you are playing nearly every three or four days.

"Now we are playing only in the league and the Scottish cups so that changes everything. We have fewer games so it is normal that the team doesn't change so much."

Certainly, with Boyd and Miller combining well in recent matches, Smith has no option but to stick with his current attack.

Boyd has hit seven in five matches since he decided to quit the Scotland set-up and Miller created his goal at the weekend against Kilmarnock before netting himself with a close-range header.

Velicka understands there is no way Smith can tinker with his attacking options when they are performing so well at present.

He said: "The gaffer can't change things right now because Boydy is scoring and Kenny is getting goals so it is normal that I am behind them.

"But it's a long season and anything can happen. There can be injuries and players get tired so I know I will get a chance."

The Under-21 rule, which forces Smith to name two kids on his bench ahead of experienced professionals, has been a source of frustration to the manager as he would prefer to have the likes of Velicka to call upon from the sidelines.

But the striker himself believes it is still a good idea.

He said: "I think it is a good thing. The young players need to be involved in the squad to gain experience.

"It's good for them and it's good for Scotland. I think it works for everyone.

"It is not the only reason why I am not involved yet. I believe if I work hard and wait for my chance then anything can happen."

Velicka found the back of the net in his last outing for the Rangers reserves - his third consecutive outing for Tommy Wilson's side.

And he feels those games will help prepare him for when he is handed another crack at the first team.

Speaking in the Rangers News, Velicka explained: "The reserve games help to get a better fitness level and to feel the way the game is played.

"If you are not playing for a month or more you can't go straight back into the first team.

"You need to prepare properly for that and get back the right levels of fitness in the reserves.

"I'm really happy here at Rangers, it's a fantastic club, and I still believe I can be successful here."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2467562.0.0.phpPublication date 12/11/08

ANDRIUS VELICKA has found himself out of sight and perhaps out of mind of the supporters at Rangers.

But the powerful striker insists he isn't feeling sorry for himself after watching Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller build up a partnership in the Ibrox attack.

The Lithuanian striker was signed by Walter Smith at the beginning of the season and was tipped to play an important role for the club.

Leading the line in the first league game of the season, the former Hearts hitman scored the only goal of the game to get his new team off to a winning start against Falkirk.

He also started in the following match against Hearts, which Gers also won but that was his last top team outing.

Indeed, the 29-year-old has not even managed to make it on to the bench since then, as the likes of Nacho Novo, Jean-Claude Darcheville and young Rory Loy have all featured ahead of him.

For some, the frustration would be too much to deal with but Velicka hasn't been banging on Walter Smith's door demanding answers.

And he is confident he will eventually be given another opportunity to show what he can do.

He said: "Of course I am a little disappointed but that's life. It happens at big clubs and I just need to work hard and wait for my chance. I am sure I will get it.

"It's a big squad and we are not in Europe. When you are playing in the Champions League or the Uefa Cup then you are playing nearly every three or four days.

"Now we are playing only in the league and the Scottish cups so that changes everything. We have fewer games so it is normal that the team doesn't change so much."

Certainly, with Boyd and Miller combining well in recent matches, Smith has no option but to stick with his current attack.

Boyd has hit seven in five matches since he decided to quit the Scotland set-up and Miller created his goal at the weekend against Kilmarnock before netting himself with a close-range header.

Velicka understands there is no way Smith can tinker with his attacking options when they are performing so well at present.

He said: "The gaffer can't change things right now because Boydy is scoring and Kenny is getting goals so it is normal that I am behind them.

"But it's a long season and anything can happen. There can be injuries and players get tired so I know I will get a chance."

The Under-21 rule, which forces Smith to name two kids on his bench ahead of experienced professionals, has been a source of frustration to the manager as he would prefer to have the likes of Velicka to call upon from the sidelines.

He said: "I think it is a good thing. The young players need to be involved in the squad to gain experience.

"It is not the only reason why I am not involved yet. I believe if I work hard and wait for my chance then anything can happen."

Velicka found the back of the net in his last outing for the Rangers reserves - his third consecutive outing for Tommy Wilson's side.

And he feels those games will help prepare him for when he is handed another crack at the first team.

Speaking in the Rangers News, Velicka explained: "The reserve games help to get a better fitness level and to feel the way the game is played.

"If you are not playing for a month or more you can't go straight back into the first team.

"You need to prepare properly for that and get back the right levels of fitness in the reserves.

"I'm really happy here at Rangers, it's a fantastic club, and I still believe I can be successful here."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2467562.0.0.phpPublication date 12/11/08

Good attitude on the big man. I appreciate his patentce wont last forever, so here's hoping he get's another chance to show what he can do.

I'm just delighted that this guy isnt near the bench at the current time. Long may it continue.

A player who can't command a regular place for his country, and who was in and out of the side at Hearts and then Viking FK. A truly atrocious buy.

Good attitude on the big man. I appreciate his patentce wont last forever, so here's hoping he get's another chance to show what he can do.

(tu) ,agreed,some fans have been too quick to judge

Yet another mediocre signing by our manager - £1m wasted.

Struggled at times to get into the Hearts side and was mostly a sub in Norway - 2/3 goals against celtc doesn't make him a good player.

Struggled at times to get into the Hearts side and was mostly a sub in Norway - 2/3 goals against celtc doesn't make him a good player.

Lafferty + Velicka = 4.5 million not being used bit of a waste of dosh

1m is a lot of money spent but I believe he is a good player. The competition for places is immense and long may it continue but judge him when/if he gets a game, I say

:rangers:

Lafferty + Velicka = 4.5 million not being used bit of a waste of dosh

Lafferty will come good

:)

who knows what could have happened against falkirk if he wasn't in the right place at the right time.

Who knows what would have happened if it was someone else but him, in the right place at the right time, when we played Kaunas? Take a lot of Falkirks to make up for that miss.

who knows what could have happened against falkirk if he wasn't in the right place at the right time.

Who knows what would have happened if it was someone else but him, in the right place at the right time, when we played Kaunas? Take a lot of Falkirks to make up for that miss.

God help Miller if it was he who missed that chance against Kaunas.

He fluffed his chances at Ibrox, but this isnt about Miller...

I think velicka is a good player, I think he could do well for us giving he gets a chance, however we have a partnership that is working well at the moment, it shouldnt be broken up

He fluffed his chances at Ibrox, but this isnt about Miller...

I think velicka is a good player, I think he could do well for us giving he gets a chance, however we have a partnership that is working well at the moment, it shouldnt be broken up

The Miller chance was completely different, but as you say, this isn't about Miller.

I kinda agree with that, although, some said not scoring against Celtic makes you a poor player haha