Lee McCulloch - should Maldini be worried?

Danny

Ok, overlooking the slight levity of the title, it seems Lee is being used in CB while Bougherra is unfit. And tbh, I don't think he's done badly at all. His positional sense has been good overall, he gets in quite a few good clearances, and he's not scared to slide in.

We know he's good in the air, he's no wimp, and he's not the slowest around.

tbh, I'd rather have Lee in there than Hemdani or Dailly. I think he's done better than many expected.

Ok, overlooking the slight levity of the title, it seems Lee is being used in CB while Bougherra is unfit. And tbh, I don't think he's done badly at all. His positional sense has been good overall, he gets in quite a few good clearances, and he's not scared to slide in.

tbh, I'd rather have Lee in there than Hemdani or Dailly. I think he's done better than many expected.

He's done OK in home games against St. Mirren and the Sheep but it's difficult to judge on that evidence.

I disagree... He flaps in the air with his elbows out.

All any defenders need to do is make one mistake and it costs us dearly.

Every defender makes mistakes!

Hes done alright so far but its only been 2 games, ill reserve judgement till ive seen him in a few more.

He's not been as bad as I thought he'd be, but still nowhere near good enough. Against toothless opposition he looked ok, but against better teams and away from home all he needs to do is make one mistake and it'll cost us dearly.

A bit unfair given we've dropped points with or without him in the side.

I feel like he's being judged very differently to any other defender.

When Papac made that blunder at Parkhead to cost us a goal it was 'just an error, it happens'. Lee hasn't even made one and in his case it's 'he's too slow, he will cost us'.

Plus Bougherra was found wanting against either Killie or Motherwell at Ibrox when he let his man go far too easily.

But because Lee isn't naturally a CB he gets much harsher criticism when he makes the same mistake a seasoned CB does. And he hasn't even made a mistake yet!

As for standard of opposition, well, SPL dirge IS the quality we're playing week in week out. So yes, the Sheep (who took a point at Pittodrie btw) and St Mirren (who beat us earlier this season btw) IS fair to judge him on.

No argument there, but I think Weir and Bougherra are much less prone to mistakes, and generally feel a lot more confident with them in the team.

But Lee hasn't MADE one yet doh

How in goodness' sake can you say they're less prone when they've made plenty in their time as CB's for us, and Lee, in his 2 appearances, hasn't made any?

No argument there, but I think Weir and Bougherra are much less prone to mistakes, and generally feel a lot more confident with them in the team.

How in goodness' sake can you say they're less prone when they've made plenty in their time as CB's for us, and Lee, in his 2 appearances, hasn't made any?

Although I agree with your points up to now, he was at fault for the St Mirren goal mate.

It's too early to judge really but I don't think he's done too bad so far

It's not too early to judge at all. Oddly after 2 games folk were calling Mendes the Messiah. He was being judged. Therefore I think any player should be if we're going to be 'consistent'.

You judge on what you see, and if it's good you say it's good, if not, likewise.

I think its a bit early to judge.

Although I agree with your points up to now, he was at fault for the St Mirren goal mate.

In what way?

Because they've spent much more time playing CB for us (Weir more so than Bougherra, obviously), and therefore have much more time in which to make mistakes. Weir started about 60 games last season, and I can't think of any really bad errors he made. Lest we forget, we kept a clean sheet against Barcelona last season, and didn't concede a single goal at home in the UEFA cup. Weir can't have been doing that badly.

To compare that to McCulloch playing in two games at Ibrox against St Mirren and Aberdeen (when was the last time either side beat us at home?) is a little ridiculous.

Because they've spent much more time playing CB for us (Weir more so than Bougherra, obviously), and therefore have much more time in which to make mistakes. Weir started about 60 games last season, and I can't think of any really bad errors he made. Lest we forget, we kept a clean sheet against Barcelona last season, and didn't concede a single goal at home in the UEFA cup. Weir can't have been doing that badly.

To compare that to McCulloch playing in two games at Ibrox against St Mirren and Aberdeen (when was the last time either side beat us at home?) is a little ridiculous.

I wasn't - you were ;)

I wasn't - you were ;)

You see my point though?

While he isn't an ideal replacement for Bougherra, the bottom line is that we've picked up 6 points when he has been playing. So he has played well enough for Rangers to win and hasn't made any game-ruining mistakes. Thats good enough for me.

When i first heard of it , it didnt seem too promising but he hasnt done anything wrong, and until he makes a massive error then i see no reason as to why he cant be used there, it will be interesting when he comes up against a tougher challenge though....

I hope he does well though always good ot have more options, im not a fan of him but if it can improve balance of the squad then why not

He is shite. A couple of ok performances and people seem to think he's doing well.

If he continues to play, be it CB, LM or anywhere else we will be playing with 10 men for most games as he's so ineffective it is scary.

Ship him off in January!

He's not been as bad as I thought he'd be, but still nowhere near good enough. Against toothless opposition he looked ok, but against better teams and away from home all he needs to do is make one mistake and it'll cost us dearly.

When Papac made that blunder at Parkhead to cost us a goal it was 'just an error, it happens'. Lee hasn't even made one and in his case it's 'he's too slow, he will cost us'.

Plus Bougherra was found wanting against either Killie or Motherwell at Ibrox when he let his man go far too easily.

But because Lee isn't naturally a CB he gets much harsher criticism when he makes the same mistake a seasoned CB does. And he hasn't even made a mistake yet!

As for standard of opposition, well, SPL dirge IS the quality we're playing week in week out. So yes, the Sheep (who took a point at Pittodrie btw) and St Mirren (who beat us earlier this season btw) IS fair to judge him on.

He's been passable and nothing more. He lets the striker get on the wrong side of him too much and i have to disagree with you when you say that he's positionally sound.

I don't see why he's there. Without even naming any of the youngsters, there is Christian Dailly who is admittedly useless as a defensive midfielder, but is capable enough at the back as his performances against Sporting Lisbon and Panathinaikos last season proved.

You know as well as i know that the two teams he's played against are completely different propositions when they're on their own turf. We will see how he fares on Saturday.

He's been passable and nothing more. He lets the striker get on the wrong side of him too much and i have to disagree with you when you say that he's positionally sound.

I don't see why he's there. Without even naming any of the youngsters, there is Christian Dailly who is admittedly useless as a defensive midfielder, but is capable enough at the back as his performances against Sporting Lisbon and Panathinaikos last season proved.

You know as well as i know that the two teams he's played against are completely different propositions when they're on their own turf. We will see how he fares on Saturday.

You know we trolloped St Mirren at Love Street last year when we had an arguably 'inferior' team to the one who went there and lost this time?

Yup, we'll see how he does on Saturday :)

An absolute disaster waiting to happen. There is no way he should be in centre of defence. He shouldn't be in the team at all!

Nowadays we seem to be happy with people who will do a decent enough job.

A decent team will absolutely tear him to shreds.