Dave Smith great player

minstral

Great player. We also aroundabout the same time got Alex Smith from D'fermiline. Never saw anyone whose face went so red as Alex Smith after exerting himself. Anyone remember him. Dave was a wing half and Alex an inside forward in those days.

Great player. We also aroundabout the same time got Alex Smith from D'fermiline. Never saw anyone whose face went so red as Alex Smith after exerting himself. Anyone remember him. Dave was a wing half and Alex an inside forward in those days.

nvager you are correct both signed in 19-66, and as you say his face went bright red as if he was unfit.

Great player, a real 'silky' passer, as m said, great reader of the game.

The midfield maestro behind the Barcelona Bears.

Not recognised nearly enough.

Dave Smith played in the same time as George Connelly from the "dark side" and as is usual Connelly got more publicity from the mhedia,(yes even then !), so even though he was voted scottish player of the year, he never recieved the acclaim this magnificent player deserved !

A class act Dave Smith was signed from Aberdeen on 12th August, 1966 for £45,000. Played in two ECWC Finals the 1-0 defeat by Bayern in 1967 And of course part of the Legendary ECWC Champions team of 1972 that beat Moscow Dynamo 3-2. Suffered a couple of horrific leg breaks one against Killy in 1970 and one in a training accident in 1971 but put both behind him and went on to win the Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year 71-72 Season. A fantastic player. Was eventually transferred to Arbroath for £10,000 in 1974. :sherlock:

A class act Dave Smith was signed from Aberdeen on 12th August, 1966 for £45,000. Played in both ECWC Finals

Just to make it clear that we played in three ECWC Finals, the other one being the two-leg affair against Fiorentina in 1961.

Great player, a real 'silky' passer, as m said, great reader of the game.

The midfield maestro behind the Barcelona Bears.

Not recognised nearly enough.

Dave Smith played in the same time as George Connelly from the "dark side" and as is usual Connelly got more publicity from the mhedia,(yes even then !), so even though he was voted scottish player of the year, he never recieved the acclaim this magnificent player deserved !

dont think dave would have wanted the publicity that connelly got. tanner ball player with little intrest in football.dave was a proffesional.

A class act Dave Smith was signed from Aberdeen on 12th August, 1966 for £45,000. Played in both ECWC Finals

Just to make it clear that we played in three ECWC Finals, the other one being the two-leg affair against Fiorentina in 1961.

Just to make it clear he only played in 2 doh:sherlock:

what a player who was a fantastic reader of the game and great passer. when you think that we got him for 50 thousand pounds, what a steal that was and anyone who seen him play will know what i mean.

If it wasn't for Slim Jim Smith would have been the finest left half Rangers ever had.Remember those box to box runs Minstral?Great player. (tu)

what a player who was a fantastic reader of the game and great passer. when you think that we got him for 50 thousand pounds, what a steal that was and anyone who seen him play will know what i mean.

I would say baxter was a better steal at I believe 18.5K from Raith Rovers

I remember being down at the front wall in the North Enclosure at Hampden when we played Aberdeen in the SC semi final. (1966)

Dave Smith was outstanding, and I remember thinking I wished hed play for us!

Its funny, I also remember being in the "Centenery" stand one night and thinking the same thing about another player ripping us apart!

We were playing Clydebank!