McGeady for the off?

Ibroxblue

Aiden McGeady is poised to leave Celtic after a row with manager Gordon Strachan.

Top-level talks will take place between Celtic directors today after the Republic of Ireland internationalist and the Celtic manager clashed in the wake of Saturday's 1-1 draw with Heart of Midlothian at Parkhead. The most likely outcome is that the player will be allowed to leave Glasgow, with England or Bayern Munich in Germany, his most likely destinations.

A source in the Celtic dressing room has revealed to The Herald that Strachan confronted McGeady over the winger's display on Saturday and the player and manager became embroiled in a heated row.

"Aiden took the criticism for some time but then hit back," said the source, speaking under condition of anonymity.

It is understood that Peter Lawwell, the Celtic chief executive, has been informed of the breach between player and manager and will advise board members today of the depth of the rift. Sources close to the player believe they will have to back Strachan, paving the way for the 22-year-old to leave the club he joined as a schoolboy.

Strachan and McGeady exchanged words during Saturday's draw with Hearts with the Celtic manager seemingly about to take the player off and replace him with Koko Mizuno, the Japanese winger.

However, McGeady finished the game and headed for the dressing room where he was met by the manager. The confrontation occurred soon afterwards. "The manager seemed to be blaming Aiden for the defeat," said the dressing-room source. "Aiden was quiet but as the manager went on he let him have it. He did not hold back."

Strachan then left for the media centre, where he described Celtic's performance as the poorest for "a long, long time". The manager added: "We were too predictable in the first half. We built ourselves up to average in the second half." He made no mention of the row.

McGeady, who has just returned from a calf injury, had a quiet game by his high standards. He was part of a Celtic midfield that excelled against Villarreal in the Champions League last week but the engine room of the side stalled against a Hearts team who closed down quickly and ensured that the supply line to him was not flowing freely.

The clash between manager and player on Saturday was the latest, and most severe, of a succession of rows that have blighted their relationship.

McGeady was "rotated" after the defeat by 4-2 Rangers in the first Old Firm match of the season on August 31. This was thought to be a punishment for not accepting Strachan's criticisms of him over his performance in the match. McGeady is believed to have been excluded from a team meeting as part of the management sanctions.

However, he came off the bench in subsequent matches to turn the tide in favour of Celtic. He was particularly influential in victories over Hibs and Aberdeen at Celtic Park.

There will be a host of suitors for McGeady, who was voted Scottish player of the year last season. His most likely destination is the Barclays Premier League although Munich have already tabled a substantial bid through a third party that had been turned down by Celtic before the dramatic events of the weekend.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines..._in_January.php

Guest Andypendek

Either Newcastle or Villa. 2 irish managers, so he should feel right at 'home.'

The reason I hate the wee shite is that hes a great player and I would have loved to see him playing for Scotland. So it'd be daft to pretend he can't get a game for a decent side.

Either Newcastle or Villa. 2 irish managers, so he should feel right at 'home.'

The reason I hate the wee shite is that hes a great player and I would have loved to see him playing for Scotland. So it'd be daft to pretend he can't get a game for a decent side.

He'd get nowhere near Bayern's team.

Hilarious.

I really, really doubt that Bayern Munich are interested. Bayern have just pulled out of negotiations with Mario Gomez to pursue the out of contract Ivica Olic, that's just how badly the credit crunch is hitting them. There is no way that they would be willing to match Celtic's unrealistic £8M valuation of the player.

His fall out with Garry Pendrey isnt the sole reason he isnt playing. He's just not done it for a while now.

Hilarious.

I really, really doubt that Bayern Munich are interested. Bayern have just pulled out of negotiations with Mario Gomez to pursue the out of contract Ivica Olic, that's just how badly the credit crunch is hitting them. There is no way that they would be willing to match Celtic's unrealistic £8M valuation of the player.

His fall out with Garry Pendrey isnt the sole reason he isnt playing. He's just not done it for a while now.

Olic on a free almost makes more sense than Gomez.

The Croatian is criminally underrated.

TBH i'm undecided if this is good or bad news for us :unsure:

He's a big player for them, but them having more money to spend will work out worse for us :(

Not if they use the money to sign garbage like Loovens or McCourt

of course there is that, but we can't rely on them getting it wrong all the time.

A couple of decent signings and were in deep shit :(

He's a big player for them, but them having more money to spend will work out worse for us :(

It is our one comfort.

If Chesney spends £10m, there's hardly any guarantee that he'll actually 'strengthen' Paedo FC's squad.

of course there is that, but we can't rely on them getting it wrong all the time.

A couple of decent signings and were in deep shit :(

i know mcginn and an 18 year old nobody :craphead:

So who will play out wide and upfront for Bayern Munich ?

Surely it has to be Ribery, Toni, Klose, Podolski, Schweinstiger ?

No, it's Aiden McGeady :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mutley:

"Sorry Frank Ribery, you're no longer needed"

'....to play the rear end of the panto horse, believe it or not we've found somebody uglier'.

I don't see the hype surrounding McGayday at all. He's fcuking brutal. He's living off that one turn against Maldini at the piggery.

Both Mendes and Davis have done more in half a season than that tattie heid did all last season, yet the media were creaming themselves over the little scrote.

He'd be lucky to get into Bayern Munich's B squad!