The ultimate TBB poll (1st go)- Time to bring OUR roar back!

mccoist355

The ULTIMATE TBB POLL  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Do we want to bring TBB back?

• Yes - in some form or other, the Hullo Hullo roar needs to be heard from the Rangers legions again
    • No - its consigned to the history books, lets just forget it
  2. 2. Changing the words?

• I'll never sing a changed version other than the original, even if it means never singing it again at a match
    • I'll happily sing different words, created by and voted for by our own fans, if this means the chant can come back
    • I'd probably fall back into the old words, even if that risked fecking up the whole thing
  3. 3. First Two Lines:

• Hullo hullo, we are the boys in blue.Hullo hullo, we're loyal through & through. (clearly recognised as different from original to save a fan from being done for singing TBB by the stewards)
    • Hullo hullo, we are the Rangers boys.Hullo hullo, you'll know us by our noise. More in tradition, but more easily confused with original.
  4. 4. Next Lines:

• The boys in blue are coming for you, We're ready for the fight, For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • Loyal and true to the boys in blue, Rangers til we die, For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • We?d give anything to see our team, At Ibrox or Away, For we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • when you hear the noise of the rangers boys, ul hear this battle cry, for we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • we will fight til the day is done, the blue flag flying high, for we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • the boys in blue are coming for you, aye ready for the fight, for we are the Glasgow Rangers boys
    • A mix and match of something of the above list, please state:

You'll see no words have been included with reference being up to our knees in anything, or threaten death to opposition fans - for two reasons.

1. We have a far better chance of success we dont supply the PC mob and anti-Rangers MOPEs the ammunnition to immediately go running to mummy saying "its offensive! its offensive!".

2. The fact the new chant will be untouchable will annoy them far far more than any idle threats of death

3. Id like our kids to be able to sing this without being labelled a bigot.

To quote Southdown:

"would dearly love to hear something like it thundering out from three quarters of the ground. Our fans have got to be serious about getting Hello Hello back. There is no point in posting anti catholic,Irish or refugee references, the song must be absolutely UNTOUCHABLE and not for changing. It is the one song which sung as one, is not only hugely inspiration to our players but demoralising to the Celtic players and supporters when they are getting humped, it needs to come back."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me;

Bring it back as close to original as possible.

Bear in mind that;

The first line will probably always be sung as "Billy Boys" and the last line of "we are the xxxxxxx Derry Boys / xxxxxxx Billy Boys "will probably always remain as there's no particular reason for people who've sung it for years to change these bits. I still voted, to help the OP with a generally good idea.

Don't vote on this please.

50% of suggestions aren't included. This is not the fans vote, this is McCoist355s vote - and I for one will not be voting.

thats up to you - ive laid out my reasoning of why singing about death threats and being up to our knees in blood just doesnt cut it in the 21st century (tu)

I would love to hear it back. We can't sing it in its original form, but I see no problem with "We are the Billy Boys." If your campaign works (and I fully support you and admire you for what you are trying to do) then The Billy Boys will become an untouchable song. They can take no offense in the words "The Billy Boys," so I think they could stay.

As for the rest, in my opinion you just don't have a good version yet. That's not to say one won't be made, but it's just not there yet. Some of the options you have posted don't scan, some are a tad embarassing. Someone posted these the other day:

"The cry was No Surrender, surrender or you'll die"

Now I know you want to shy away from "surrender or you'll die" but it is sung at grounds up and down the length of Britain with no complaints, so I would say it's untouchable also.

I think this is the only line that needs changed, possibly also the "Bridgeton Derry Boys" if you want to go that far.

Good luck with it, but you'll need an organised campaign involving a good lot of the supporters' groups for it to be successful (tu)

Sorry but I think il stick to the origional Version, Even Changing the first line is a 100% no no im my book (tu)

I could maybe put up with "if you are a tarri3r surrender or youl die" but some of the "new" verses that have been thrown around make me cringe tbo.

we may aswell sing.....

Were upto our knees in a rainy flood,

Surrender or youl dry <cr>

The only part of the whole song that needs changing is "up to our knees in fenian blood"

Change it to, "so if you support the Celtic scum, surrender or you'll die!"

Or "If you are the Celtic scum"

Thats what fans all over Britain sing, or close to it, to there rivals shouldnt be any problem with that!

As much as I admire the fact that you are trying to bring the Rangers roar back, I fear the PC brigade will always construe any song, sang to the same/similar tune as bigoted. Regardless of the words which will inevitably revert back to the original.

So for me that is a reluctant no.

I would love to hear it back. We can't sing it in its original form, but I see no problem with "We are the Billy Boys." If your campaign works (and I fully support you and admire you for what you are trying to do) then The Billy Boys will become an untouchable song. They can take no offense in the words "The Billy Boys," so I think they could stay.

As for the rest, in my opinion you just don't have a good version yet. That's not to say one won't be made, but it's just not there yet. Some of the options you have posted don't scan, some are a tad embarassing. Someone posted these the other day:

"The cry was No Surrender, surrender or you'll die"

Now I know you want to shy away from "surrender or you'll die" but it is sung at grounds up and down the length of Britain with no complaints, so I would say it's untouchable also.

I think this is the only line that needs changed, possibly also the "Bridgeton Derry Boys" if you want to go that far.

Good luck with it, but you'll need an organised campaign involving a good lot of the supporters' groups for it to be successful (tu)

(tu) It definitely needs to keep 'We are the Billy Boys' at the start. And I also think "The cry was no surrender, surrender or you'll die" would work better

The only part of the whole song that needs changing is "up to our knees in fenian blood"

Thats what fans all over Britain sing, or close to it, to there rivals shouldnt be any problem with that!

(tu)

Should never have been taken away in the first place.

Change Rangers boys for Billy boys and sellik for fenian.

The mhedia would still come after us as always but with these words changed they would then have to bring other clubs all over Britain into the equation.

Can't see this happening to be honest. Too many fans willing to roll over and play dead as has been seen in the BBC protest thread.

Don't vote on this please.

50% of suggestions aren't included. This is not the fans vote, this is McCoist355s vote - and I for one will not be voting.

thats up to you - ive laid out my reasoning of why singing about death threats and being up to our knees in blood just doesnt cut it in the 21st century (tu)

well are u gonna start it at ibrox is it going to be sung or is this just pc talk

That one works better than we are the glasgow rangers boys

That one works better than we are the glasgow rangers boys

To be quite honest - I dont care what words we sing! Ive no preference for any of the words above listed or any others.

All im trying to do is get the chant back - and as it appears we must change the words to do that - that is what we must do!

Its very sad to see Bears wave a white flag in defeat saying it'll never be sung again - doesnt strike me as the Rangers way. That chant means too much to too many of us to be given up on

I appreciate I'm new when it comes to posting in here, so hopefully nobody minds me chipping in from the get-go;

TBH, I just cant see this happening en masse at IBROX without the co-operation of the club. The first people/bunch of people who stand up and sing TBB are just asking to get lifted, with all the reprecutions that brings. People will get hauled out of the stands regardless or whether they sing the original version or new version(s). Its almost inevitable with the abritary nature of stewarding/policing that football fans have to put up with these days.

The club could, of course, agree to a new form of TBB which mixes the traditional and the new; print on leaflets and put words on the screens etc. Unless they suddenly find some courage and are up for a fight (no bets please), these new, approved words will never contain "Billy Boys", "surrender or you'll die", "Bridgeton/Derry", never mind the F word. It's just not gonna happen really is it? SO you have a stalemate.

The only ways out I can see is for; a) the Blue Order or such like to take the lead in conjunction with the club, in a way that makes it clear to everyone else within earshot that the old words are not being sung and/or b) the away support to re-establish TBB (although facing the same risks) by singing new words which would have a chance of catching on again at Ibrox without media hostility - or at least would stand-up against media hostility of challenged. The away support would be a slight concern though because of the tendancy of all away supports to be more beligerent etc, you know what I mean.

Finally trying to get a new set of agreed words will be very very difficult - just look at the threads on here and elsewhere. ANY words that do not include the F word should be acceptable tbh, but as discussed, I seriously think the club would not go for this and this alone.

It's actually more complicated to write down or explain than it is to do - but that doesn't mean its not worth doing. It is definitely worth doing imo, unless people choose to f*ck it up.

Thoughts welcome.

I appreciate I'm new when it comes to posting in here, so hopefully nobody minds me chipping in from the get-go;

TBH, I just cant see this happening en masse at IBROX without the co-operation of the club. The first people/bunch of people who stand up and sing TBB are just asking to get lifted, with all the reprecutions that brings. People will get hauled out of the stands regardless or whether they sing the original version or new version(s). Its almost inevitable with the abritary nature of stewarding/policing that football fans have to put up with these days.

The club could, of course, agree to a new form of TBB which mixes the traditional and the new; print on leaflets and put words on the screens etc. Unless they suddenly find some courage and are up for a fight (no bets please), these new, approved words will never contain "Billy Boys", "surrender or you'll die", "Bridgeton/Derry", never mind the F word. It's just not gonna happen really is it? SO you have a stalemate.

The only ways out I can see is for; a) the Blue Order or such like to take the lead in conjunction with the club, in a way that makes it clear to everyone else within earshot that the old words are not being sung and/or b) the away support to re-establish TBB (although facing the same risks) by singing new words which would have a chance of catching on again at Ibrox without media hostility - or at least would stand-up against media hostility of challenged. The away support would be a slight concern though because of the tendancy of all away supports to be more beligerent etc, you know what I mean.

Finally trying to get a new set of agreed words will be very very difficult - just look at the threads on here and elsewhere. ANY words that do not include the F word should be acceptable tbh, but as discussed, I seriously think the club would not go for this and this alone.

It's actually more complicated to write down or explain than it is to do - but that doesn't mean its not worth doing. It is definitely worth doing imo, unless people choose to f*ck it up.

Thoughts welcome.

Good post (tu)

I think the Blue Order and other supporters groups would have to agree some new words, then approach the club and say "this is what we are going to sing, we hope you will give us your backing." The club would be obliged, to some extent, to give their support to a scheme by the support to "eradicate bigotry" and so should cooperate. If it were well publicised beforehand, with support from enough supporters groups, then I think it could well work. Obviously the agreement on the words is going to be the hardest part, but surely the supporters groups can forget their differences for once and put their heads together? :unsure:

Ok, maybe not, but it was worth a try! :lol: I really believe that we could bring it back, and the thought of "Hello, Hello" ringing out at Ibrox again gives me goosebumps. Surely it is worth trying? I applaud mccoist355 for his efforts. I've already said I think we should pussy-foot around with the words a little less, just removing the "Fenian" and possibly "Bridgeton Derry Boys" would be enough.

BTW, chip in wehenever you like mate (tu)

Don't see why we cant still start with "we are the Billy Boys"...........as far as I'm aware, it's only the "fenian blood" part which got it banned to start with.

Also don't see why we can't sing "up to our knees in C*ltic blood". The JT's sing Hibee blood and don't get hauled over the coals for it.

TBH, I just cant see this happening en masse at IBROX without the co-operation of the club. The first people/bunch of people who stand up and sing TBB are just asking to get lifted, with all the reprecutions that brings. People will get hauled out of the stands regardless or whether they sing the original version or new version(s).

Thats why its important to stoke up enough publicity about this before any mass renditions take place, so everyone, stewards etc, knows whats going on. Thats also why I believe the words need to be untouchable to critics - simply about Rangers with no veiled death threats - so that the singing of the song can be justified

The clubs position will be this - "We cant be seen to condone the singing of any version of TBB, new or old, but we're hardly going to do you for singing a non-offensive song".

Its up to the fans to decide on a new version and start singing it.

Groups like the Blue Order should be taking the lead with this. Provided the new words were non-offensive and publicised as such, the media wouldnt have a leg to stand on criticising them, there'd be nothing to criticise! Thats why they need to be untouchable.

Polls like this is the best way to come to new words, with the fans deciding. Providing the words are untouchable, neither the club, SPL, UEFA or the media could criticise us for singing them - but we'd be roaring out Hullo Hullo again!

Id rather try it and it fecks up rather than just wave a white flag and our best terrace chant get ditched for good. Its definitely worth fighting for and its not the Rangers way to give up, thats for sure.

Its best to think about as simply as possible.

Do we want TBB back? Yes.

What do we need to do to get it back? Change the words so they cant be banned again*

Whats the best way to change the words? Get the fans to choose them as democratically as possible.

*this means no "surrender or you die", up to our knees stuff, as some MOPE would have us over the coals for it. And no that wouldnt mean they'd have to bring down every club in Britain, because as we've seen, Rangers chants are subjected to closer scrutiny that any other club's chants in history

Yeah no need to change billy boys!!

Just take out fenian and change it to celtic. Tho I think it is probably gone forever but a big hand for trying to bring it back!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: