Every manager since Souness...

Danny

Has wasted money.

Since and including Souness we've always wasted cash. But is that not a necessary risk in football?

Every manager since that period has made bad signings. Smith signed the likes of Kuznetzov, Rozental, Salenko, Bolan, Clelland, Wright, Stensaas etc

Then DA came along and whored our money on flops like Guivarch, Prodan, Flo...

Then it was Eck's turn to waste what little he had on absolute jokes like Capucho, plus high wages on comedians such as Bernard, Ostenstaad...

Then came PLG to waste yet more cash on Sebo, Sionko, Svensson...

And now Smith is back and simply continuing that trend.

When you have a decent whack of cash, in football there's a chance you'll waste some. Even arguably the best manager in the game has done it - Ferguson signed Kleberson, Forlan and Djemba Djemba did he not....

And Mourinho? Well guys like Bhoularouz, Wright Phillips - signed for fortunes but didn't deliver.

So yeah, it's hard to trust Walter. But remember even the best managers in the game waste hideous amounts of money.

Has wasted money.

Since and including Souness we've always wasted cash. But is that not a necessary risk in football?

Every manager since that period has made bad signings. Smith signed the likes of Kuznetzov, Rozental, Salenko, Bolan, Clelland, Wright, Stensaas etc

Then it was Eck's turn to waste what little he had on absolute jokes like Capucho, plus high wages on comedians such as Bernard, Ostenstaad...

When you have a decent whack of cash, in football there's a chance you'll waste some. Even arguably the best manager in the game has done it - Ferguson signed Kleberson, Forlan and Djemba Djemba did he not....

And Mourinho? Well guys like Bhoularouz, Wright Phillips - signed for fortunes but didn't deliver.

So yeah, it's hard to trust Walter. But remember even the best managers in the game waste hideous amounts of money.

You didn't say who you thought Souness wasted his money on. Can you give us any examples? (tu)

Has wasted money.

You didn't say who you thought Souness wasted his money on. Can you give us any examples? (tu)

Colin West

Has wasted money.

John Spencer, Terry Hurlock and Dale Gordon spring to mind. Albeit I'm not 100% that the latter 2 were indeed Souness' signings.

Of course the one advantage Souness had was the English banning from Europe which made world class stars join our club. Players who a couple of years later were one penalty away from the world cup final.

Wouldnt say Forlan was a waste if money they got it back from villareal.

Bhoularouz done OK and was just not as good as other chelsea players.

Also these clubs can afford to waste money Rangers Can't

I waited for that line.

No team on earth can 'afford' to lose money. I guarantee you Chelsea and Utd fans were up in arms over the failures of those players, saying that they can't afford to go around wasting cash no matter how much they've got.

Has wasted money.

John Spencer, Terry Hurlock and Dale Gordon spring to mind. Albeit I'm not 100% that the latter 2 were indeed Souness' signings.

Of course the one advantage Souness had was the English banning from Europe which made world class stars join our club. Players who a couple of years later were one penalty away from the world cup final.

Spencer was a youth team player mate. Hurlock was a legend, and Dale Gordon was actually a very good player, but injury prone!

I have to say that Souness did make a couple of duff signings, but I can't say he wasted that much cash!

Has wasted money.

Spencer was a youth team player mate. Hurlock was a legend, and Dale Gordon was actually a very good player, but injury prone!

I have to say that Souness did make a couple of duff signings, but I can't say he wasted that much cash!

Maybe he was the least bad for it then, I will concede that. But the rule does nevertheless apply to all because naturally in football there's a risk your big expensive signing will fail be it for not performing, being injured or whatever.

Has wasted money.

Colin West

In his defense, West broke his leg early on against East FIfe in the League Cup and never really got his Rangers career going.

Souness may have made a few dodgy signings but more often than not we got at least our money back when he sold them on, Sterland being the perfect example.

I may be wrong but this may even have been the case with West when he was sold on.

What im saying is these teams have guys with billions so a few million lost is pennies to them so they dont care and it doesnt prevent them from signing someone else

That is as well as maybe but it nevertheless still backs up my case. Whether or not they 'have' the money to waste, the fact they DO still waste shows that everyone, every team will make bad signings and waste money.

And I don't know if Walter Smith is any better or worse than anyone else in that respect.

The thing that grates with me is the Kaunas debacle. Smith knew that he had no Cuellar, ferguson or davis and yet he spent 7m on three strikers and left us with a shit defence and midfield vs a Kaunas side in mid season. Should have been sacked for that.

Has wasted money.

Colin West

In his defense, West broke his leg early on against East FIfe in the League Cup and never really got his Rangers career going.

Souness may have made a few dodgy signings but more often than not we got at least our money back when he sold them on, Sterland being the perfect example.

I may be wrong but this may even have been the case with West when he was sold on.

we bought colin west for 200 thousand and sold him to sheffield wed. for 150 thousand.

Has wasted money.

Maybe he was the least bad for it then, I will concede that. But the rule does nevertheless apply to all because naturally in football there's a risk your big expensive signing will fail be it for not performing, being injured or whatever.

John Spencer WAS a youth team player ... understandable at the error as it never happens now. And Gordon he's also right about .... he was terrific when he did feature.

Has wasted money.

John Spencer WAS a youth team player ... understandable at the error as it never happens now. And Gordon he's also right about .... he was terrific when he did feature.

Didn't he get a really bad hamstring injury? I'm sure he took ages to come back first time around, and then it went again a couple of games into his comeback?

Btw Kuznetsov was a top drawer player who was just unfortunate to get severely injured in only his second game for the club. I was at his first - a 5-0 drubbing I think of St Johnstone or St Mirren when he hit the post from 30 yards.

His injury was quite similar to Thomson's is now, just different age and medical abilities.

Btw Kuznetsov was a top drawer player who was just unfortunate to get severely injured in only his second game for the club. I was at his first - a 5-0 drubbing I think of St Johnstone or St Mirren when he hit the post from 30 yards.

His injury was quite similar to Thomson's is now, just different age and medical abilities.

Agreed. Scored a 30 yarder against the scum in the 2-4 game of Jan 94 (I think).

I thought Colin West was an excellent signing, but mainly because of injury, it didn't work.

As has been said all managers make mistakes.

Sometimes good players just don't settle, different country, climate, culture, football style who knows?

To this day I still remember being so excited when we signed Capucho, what a player he was, it didn't work, but I can't criticise his signing.

I thought Colin West was an excellent signing, but mainly because of injury, it didn't work.

As has been said all managers make mistakes.

Sometimes good players just don't settle, different country, climate, culture, football style who knows?

To this day I still remember being so excited when we signed Capucho, what a player he was, it didn't work, but I can't criticise his signing.

agree with the capucho one manti where you at the game in germany or austria when he scored one heck off a goal

after that i thought he would be a star for us