Walter Promised Fleck Games This Season

simplythebestest

"Last week, Rangers manager Walter Smith confirmed he would use the young striker in this season's SPL campaign.

He said: "Fleck is still only 16 but he will get games this year.""

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/scottish-...78057-20700241/

We all know WS doesn't start youth players, and I'm sure even the youngsters themselves know that by now, but why does he make promises he can't (or should I say won't) keep? He will just make them more frustrated and want to leave - after all, other clubs will be able to keep their promises and play them WHILE paying them more.

Just because at Rangers you can never sacrifice games doesn't mean you can't play the odd youngster every other week, or bring on a couple when your 3 goals ahead (even if that's rare). If Fleck is half as good as people say he is and if he can indeed play on the left, why not take a chance on him in a position that NOONE else is capable of playing well in? If WS won't play the 17 year old PRODIGY during a CRISIS in a VACANT position then he will never get his chance!!!! doh

"Last week, Rangers manager Walter Smith confirmed he would use the young striker in this season's SPL campaign.

We all know WS doesn't start youth players, and I'm sure even the youngsters themselves know that by now, but why does he make promises he can't (or should I say won't) keep? He will just make them more frustrated and want to leave - after all, other clubs will be able to keep their promises and play them WHILE paying them more.

Just because at Rangers you can never sacrifice games doesn't mean you can't play the odd youngster every other week, or bring on a couple when your 3 goals ahead (even if that's rare). If Fleck is half as good as people say he is and if he can indeed play on the left, why not take a chance on him in a position that NOONE else is capable of playing well in? If WS won't play the 17 year old PRODIGY during a CRISIS in a VACANT position then he will never get his chance!!!! doh

The most Fleck will ever get is a place on the bench with the maximum time on the pitch bordering 10 minutes

He will never get his chance, along with the other talented youth at Rangers, as long as Smith is in charge

Any excuse for a pop haha, very sad

No, like all managers Walter has to say positive things about players-- whether he means it or not.

He is not going to say in the press " he will never get a chance" or " I do not think he can give anything to the club"

No one can argue that Walter, in his 12 years at the club, has managed to bring through, to the first team, less than a handful of players from the youth ranks.

It is this shocking statistic which makes people doubt his intentions regarding the products of our youth system and the scepticism of his statements.

Any excuse for a pop haha, very sad

No, like all managers Walter has to say positive things about players-- whether he means it or not.

He is not going to say in the press " he will never get a chance" or " I do not think he can give anything to the club"

No one can argue that Walter, in his 12 years at the club, has managed to bring through, to the first team, less than a handful of players from the youth ranks.

It is this shocking statistic which makes people doubt his intentions regarding the products of our youth system and the scepticism of his statements.

True I suppose, apart from the fact he has already played Fleck, and, everyone knows the lad is a talent (as opposed to some that are touted without having been seen) and, on the flip side, it would seem all our fans have to say something negative, and, find even the potential negative in absolutely everything to do with the club these days. Which, to be honest mate, drives me nuts!

I can remeber Walter bringing through the likes of Hagen, Pressley, McSwegan, Murray, Reid etc in the early 90's and then Charlie Miller later on

It got more difficult when the march towards 9 in a row hit fever pitch and we needed experience to guide us through so there wasn;t much of a chance

Now he's under pressure to win back our title and he's not about to throw youngsters in at this stage of the season or last season when we were going for a quadruple

Fleck is 16 FFS! he will get his chance eventually

i'd far rather have fleck or aaron on the left that charlie fat arse adam. This experience excuse is just a load of crap as well. Adam has consistantly proved that hes pish. His experience counts for nothing. If the youngsters dont perform then fine but at least give them a chance ffs. Its hardly much of a risk when the other options have proven that they are crap. Even if aaron or fleck have a bad game they cant be as bad as adam. No pace, no positional sense, crap passing,average from set pieces and first touch like an elephant. You cant get much worse than that.

I can remeber Walter bringing through the likes of Hagen, Pressley, McSwegan, Murray, Reid etc in the early 90's and then Charlie Miller later on

It got more difficult when the march towards 9 in a row hit fever pitch and we needed experience to guide us through so there wasn;t much of a chance

Now he's under pressure to win back our title and he's not about to throw youngsters in at this stage of the season or last season when we were going for a quadruple

There is no excuse for him not playing him last season, we were screaming out for some fresh legs up front.

He can't be any worse than Adam / McCulloch / Lafferty / Boyd. We need something different, the likes of him or Aaron or Naismith would give us that...we have to do SOMETHING. Its clearly not working..if we continue to go with the same team and hope for the best then the league is already over.

If Walter wants to even attempt clawing this back, serious changes need made.

John....is that you wee man? :lol: Did you set up an account to beef up your cause for a starting slot? :craphead: 5:41am too.....hope that wasn't you just back in from the nightclubs!! I'm surprised your mum lets you on at that time of day too! ;)

:unionflag: :unionflag: Didn't need to mate, we need the likes of you in pronto mate!! ;)

Seriously though, I'd rather we started playing the likes of Fleck & get Furman back at the club. Get them into the team between now & May to see what they can actually do for us, rather than pump millions into Smith's wasteful pockets!

He can't be any worse than Adam / McCulloch / Lafferty / Boyd. We need something different, the likes of him or Aaron or Naismith would give us that...we have to do SOMETHING. Its clearly not working..if we continue to go with the same team and hope for the best then the league is already over.

If Walter wants to even attempt clawing this back, serious changes need made.

I agree, but from Walters point of view if he throws kids in now he - and the kids - will get absolutely slaughtered if it doesn't work out

being Rangers manager means you have to acheive INSTANT success so I can see why he would be reluctant to throw in untested kids

There is no excuse for him not playing him last season, we were screaming out for some fresh legs up front.

he was 15 last season

Of these only Murray and Miller got regular starts, Pressley was used in emergencies, Hagen; I can remember 3 starts in a row then nothing, McSwegan; a couple of sub appearances when we had the foreigner rule and a couple of starts at the end of season. Reid bought from Morton. There were others like Sandy Robertson who got a run of games but in over 12 years his record of bringing on young players is a disgrace. Title winning teams in far better quality leagues and far more competitive leagues can bring through a couple of young players every other season.

The bottom line is that his attitude towards developing youngsters and, certainly in his previous spell, to youth coaches was not positive.

Of these only Murray and Miller got regular starts, Pressley was used in emergencies, Hagen; I can remember 3 starts in a row then nothing, McSwegan; a couple of sub appearances when we had the foreigner rule and a couple of starts at the end of season. Reid bought from Morton. There were others like Sandy Robertson who got a run of games but in over 12 years his record of bringing on young players is a disgrace. Title winning teams in far better quality leagues and far more competitive leagues can bring through a couple of young players every other season.

The bottom line is that his attitude towards developing youngsters and, certainly in his previous spell, to youth coaches was not positive.

Perhaps their youngsters are far better than ours?

You only have to look at some of our "highly promising" young players, that we have sold off to other clubs to pretty much vindicate Smith in this. Who have we sold on that has gone on to be a great success? I really cant think of one.

Of those mentioned here, Fleck is a bairn, a proper kid, but, does look the part, so, I expect him to be introduced slowly. For every call to bring him in, there has been another sane voice stating it could be a bad thing, as, he is still just turned 16. We as a support need to learn patience. Furman hasnt been setting the pitch on fire while out on loan, Not sure about Lennon either. Aaron, probably still aclimatizing to Scotland, and, could be a good one too. I think the youth player with the biggest shout for the first team, is McMillan at RB, even before Fleck.

i'd love to see the likes of fleck, loy, mcmillan, furman, shinnie & aaron getting games for the first team. we have got good youngsters that can step up

and some of them would show more desire than the regular starting XI

i'd love to see the likes of fleck, loy, mcmillan, furman, shinnie & aaron getting games for the first team. we have got good youngsters that can step up

and some of them would show more desire than the regular starting XI

We dont know that they can step up, just hope (tu)