Cover Stories Begin

CooperSF

Davie's Bougherra Wish

by Lindsay Herron

MADJID BOUGHERRA will be back for Rangers at Inverness on Sunday and Davie Weir hopes the Algerian defender is here for the long haul.

Bougherra has missed the last three matches with a thigh strain but is fit to return to partner Weir at the Caledonian Stadium.

Madjid Bougherra, RangersToday it has been reported that Newcastle United are ready to make a bid for the centre back, who joined Rangers from Charlton last summer, but Walter Smith has said that no inquiries have been made.

Weir and Bougherra have formed a good partnership in the centre of defence and Weir hopes it can continue for the rest of this campaign.

He said:"Of course, I would love Madjid to stay. He has done very well for us and we have missed him in the last few weeks."

Manager Smith made it clear that he does not want to lose any of his regular starters and is only interested in selling players who are on the periphery of his squad.

However, he tempered that by pointing out that the sale of Alan Hutton to Tottenham was sanctioned this time last year because the fee of around £9million was something Rangers could not turn down.

He said: "As I have said before we have 28 players in the squad and there are a number who have been not been involved regularly and clearly that is going to be a source of frustration.

"We would want to keep the group who are involved week in, week out.

"However, we were in a situation last year with Alan Hutton in that we wanted to keep him but the bid was such that we had to take it so you can never say that this won't happen again."

:no:

Davie's Bougherra Wish

by Lindsay Herron

MADJID BOUGHERRA will be back for Rangers at Inverness on Sunday and Davie Weir hopes the Algerian defender is here for the long haul.

Bougherra has missed the last three matches with a thigh strain but is fit to return to partner Weir at the Caledonian Stadium.

Madjid Bougherra, RangersToday it has been reported that Newcastle United are ready to make a bid for the centre back, who joined Rangers from Charlton last summer, but Walter Smith has said that no inquiries have been made.

Weir and Bougherra have formed a good partnership in the centre of defence and Weir hopes it can continue for the rest of this campaign.

He said:"Of course, I would love Madjid to stay. He has done very well for us and we have missed him in the last few weeks."

Manager Smith made it clear that he does not want to lose any of his regular starters and is only interested in selling players who are on the periphery of his squad.

However, he tempered that by pointing out that the sale of Alan Hutton to Tottenham was sanctioned this time last year because the fee of around £9million was something Rangers could not turn down.

He said: "As I have said before we have 28 players in the squad and there are a number who have been not been involved regularly and clearly that is going to be a source of frustration.

"We would want to keep the group who are involved week in, week out.

"However, we were in a situation last year with Alan Hutton in that we wanted to keep him but the bid was such that we had to take it so you can never say that this won't happen again."

:no:

if Newcastle pamp enough money under the nose of SDM then magic is gone am afraid , i dont see it any other way unless we get no offers for him and he stays

I know a lot of people will be upset that we are selling our assets again. But I feel that Bougherra will be far more easy to replace than Hutton and Cuellar were.

5 million pounds is a great piece of business.

I don't disagree with you on that mate but I am disappointed with the way in which the club is handling this. I mean how obvious can it get that we're getting rd of him

I know a lot of people will be upset that we are selling our assets again. But I feel that Bougherra will be far more easy to replace than Hutton and Cuellar were.

5 million pounds is a great piece of business.

Of what I have saw of Bougherra this season then 5 million is a great bit of business ONLY however if Smith is going to use the 5 million to bring in another centre half and not use it to buy a striker to fulfill the left mid spot.

I will only stomach the Bougherra sale IF it meant both Tonel AND Stranzl joined

That would be for the greater good which me must all accept (as most of us have done in the past)

Anything else is an act of betrayal

I totally agree with both DBBTB and Muff.

What's sad is how we're now nothing more than an easy target for the majority of the EPL. Remember the days when we rubbished Chelsea's advances for Giovanni Van Bronkhorst? Or when we told Atletico Madrid and Arsenal to stay well clear when they were looking to bid for Barry Ferguson?

We're easy pickings for most EPL clubs now. The fact that Stoke City came close to signing our best player in Carlos Cuellar during the summer says it all. Need a quick January fix to tide you over until the Summer? Then look no further than Rangers.

What's sad is how we're now nothing more than an easy target for the majority of the EPL. Remember the days when we rubbished Chelsea's advances for Giovanni Van Bronkhorst? Or when we told Atletico Madrid and Arsenal to stay well clear when they were looking to bid for Barry Ferguson?

We're easy pickings for most EPL clubs now. The fact that Stoke City came close to signing our best player in Carlos Cuellar during the summer says it all. Need a quick January fix to tide you over until the Summer? Then look no further than Rangers.

It's cause were skint!

We need to keep selling players to balance the books.

Bougherra was sitting next to a pal of mine in the main stand on saturday, he said his leg was giving him problems and they didnt want to risk it, also stated he was happy at Rangers, he had his family with him, with his wife and his baby kid sitting on her lap for the first half, my mate told him this was not a good idea as if we had scored the place would have gone ballistic, she stayed in the players lounge with the kid for the second half.

He also had someone filming him for the entire match, some docu from back home afaik. His brother was also their, & one of the papers had his brother pictured as him the day after. Thick journos as per.

Whether he was using the 'didnt want to risk it' line as a cover up i dont know, but the boy reckoned he seemed pretty genuine, its when you take the greed of the agents into the equasion you just never know.

It's cause were skint!

We need to keep selling players to balance the books.

I don't dispute that but it's our almost desperate style of selling that irks me.

The Glory Days are well behind us am afraid :(

Yes 9 years behind us..........and with the shite we're being linked with then it will only get worse.

The nightmare is that this Celtic team and their wanker manager could go down in history as being one of the most successful ....basically cos we're fuckin dross

I can understand the club accepting a good bid for Bougherra but why lie about his injury status?

Fair enough he "might" be injured but its a bit convenient that he picked up this injury just before a potential sale.

If he was left out of games, especially the old firm, because of a potential sale then its a bloody disgrace. He is our player at the moment and should be played as such