Tottenham close to Palacios signing

papaguy51

Steve Bruce says Wigan Athletic have 'virtually agreed' a deal to sell Wilson Palacios to Tottenham Hotspur.

Wigan rejected a £10million offer from Spurs for Palacios prior to the club's 1-0 defeat at Manchester United on Wednesday.

Latics chairman Dave Whelan told Sky Sports News that Spurs had been informed of their valuation of the midfielder, which is thought to be around £14million.

And Bruce has now confirmed that the Honduras international is likely to be on his way to White Hart Lane.

Bruce said: "The two clubs have virtually agreed a fee. It is how that fee should be paid.

"It is up to us as a selling club to demand what we want in terms of how we should be paid and how we should be structured. We will see what happens.

"Wilson is still with us and I'm preparing him to play against Manchester City tomorrow.

"That's the situation at the moment, but we will see what happens in the next few hours."

Remarkable

He added: "You look at what we bought him for and what we might sell him for and it is quite remarkable.

"But as a manager you don't want to lose one of your best players.

"Of course we have to be realistic, which I am.

"We are Wigan Athletic and if it is the wish of the player (to leave) all these things have to be taken into consideration.

"Spurs can offer bigger contracts than us. They can blow us out of the water, but it would be like losing my right arm.

"The last thing I want to do is dismantle my team. Wilson has come from nowhere to being one of the best midfield players in the country.

"When we played Manchester United in midweek at Old Trafford, it didn't phase him at all and at his age he can only get better."

Palacios has made a huge impact since joining Wigan 12 months ago after a spell on loan at Birmingham City.

He has made 40 appearances for the Latics and has also been linked with moves to Spanish and German clubs.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4801079,00.html

Good signing for Spurs, he's absolute quality.

I watched him play against Man Utd on Wednesday night and he was absolutely outstanding, best midfielder on the park for me. He has everything in his locker.

Just shows you how good Alex McLeish's judgement on a player is, in that he turned down the chance to sign him permanently for Birmingham.

I watched him play against Man Utd on Wednesday night and he was absolutely outstanding, best midfielder on the park for me. He has everything in his locker.

Just shows you how good Alex McLeish's judgement on a player is, in that he turned down the chance to sign him permanently for Birmingham.

Too true.

Steve Bruce has been plundering the South American market brilliantly over the last two years. Our gaffer could take note of what a decent scouting network can do for a club.

I think he's world class!

£20m odd million for Diarra, £15m for Defoe, £14m for Palacios, bargain, an absolute steal!

He's a fair bit better than Diarra IMHO as well, so it really is a great deal for Spurs.

Brilliant profit for Wigan too.

Too true.

Steve Bruce has been plundering the South American market brilliantly over the last two years. Our gaffer could take note of what a decent scouting network can do for a club.

Absolutely mate, and theres every chance yer man Rodallega will be the next one to flourish in England.

I also like Steve Bruce's attitude towards letting his outstanding players move to big clubs in order to let them progress, he seems to be realistic about the whole thing.

I'd be delighted if we had such a system in place at Ibrox. i.e bringing in quality, ambitious players who do well for a season or two then sell them on for a massive profit, much in the way we did with Cuellar.

Brilliant piece of business from Wigan- signing him for £1m from Olimpia and selling him for a £13m profit.

Plus he is a quality player who will bring a bit of stability to the Spurs midfield allowing the likes of Modric to push forward.

In all fairness Bruce wouldn't have signed Palacios in the first place had he not been recommended to him by Wenger.

He's easily world class and he will be very difficult to replace.

This is a good point. I wonder if Walter could acquire Wenger's mobile number and send him a hopeful text asking for promising players on the cheap?

Also, isn't it slightly ironic that Palacios would walk into the Arsenal team at the moment, and is potentially a brilliant foil for Fabregas? He is infinitely better than Alex Song.

In all fairness Bruce wouldn't have signed Palacios in the first place had he not been recommended to him by Wenger.

This is a good point. I wonder if Walter could acquire Wenger's mobile number and send him a hopeful text asking for promising players on the cheap?

Also, isn't it slightly ironic that Palacios would walk into the Arsenal team at the moment, and is potentially a brilliant foil for Fabregas? He is infinitely better than Alex Song.

But in fairness Wenger decided against signing him when he still had Flamini & Gilberto on the books.

But in fairness Wenger decided against signing him when he still had Flamini & Gilberto on the books.

Yeah, that is true.

He would have been a fair bit away from the first team had Wenger signed him back then. However, for £1.5m, he could have signed him and given him a long term deal. A loan spell at Birmingham/Wigan for a season or two could have been an option, thus potentially allowing him to replace Gilberto when he had the necessary experience of the English game.

In saying that, in no way would I ever question Wenger's transfer dealings, so it may not have been a feasible option at the time. In any case, it is a testament to Wenger's fantastic ability to spot a player, yet again.

Too true.

Bruce is a manager i really respect these days. People always talk about his Man Utd links, but the bond he and Wenger have is so close knit. Wenger has massive trust for him, as the loan deals of Muamba, Bendnter and Djourou prove.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him at the Emirates in some capacity one day.

Too true.

Bruce is a manager i really respect these days. People always talk about his Man Utd links, but the bond he and Wenger have is so close knit. Wenger has massive trust for him, as the loan deals of Muamba, Bendnter and Djourou prove.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him at the Emirates in some capacity one day.

not a bad bond to have a manager with

Tottenham have finalised the capture of Wigan star Wilson Palacios.

The Honduran international has signed on the dotted line after passing his medical in North London.

Spurs are now awaiting a work-permit before they can register the deal with the Premier League.

The fee is undisclosed but is believed to be around £14million.

"We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement for the transfer of Wilson Palacios from Wigan Athletic," read a statement on the club's official website.

"Personal terms have been agreed and a medical completed, we now await the Honduran international receiving his work permit before completing his registration."

Palacios, who began his career in England with Birmingham, only joined Wigan 12 months ago - but he has made a huge impact at The JJB Stadium, which promoted the interest in him.

Manchester City also showed an interest, but Spurs have now finalised the deal.

Palacios is now in line to make his debut against Stoke later this month, as he is cup-tied so cannot feature in their Carling Cup semi-final against Burnley on Wednesday or their FA Cup fourth round clash with Manchester United this weekend.

We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement for the transfer of Wilson Palacios from Wigan Athletic.

Personal terms have been agreed and a medical completed, we now await the Honduran international receiving his work permit before completing his registration.

The midfielder made 41 appearances for the Latics after joining in January, 2008 having started the 2007/08 campaign on loan with Birmingham City, where he featured on eight occasions.

The 24-year-old had previously played for Honduran top-flight side Olimpia where he scored 32 goals in 102 appearances.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/artic...reed210109.html

I think Palacios is a world class player. A brilliant signing for Spurs and when you see some of the deals going about, an absolute steal!