Strathclyde Police under investigation

Sapphire

"Rangers fans are being labelled sectarian bigots for being pro-British and patriotic to the country in which they live. Surely logic dictates that those making anti-British statements are also sectarian bigots? We have yet to see threatening messages warning Celtic fans for singing their disgusting songs in support of the IRA. Where are the threatening messages against Scotland fans for singing 'Flower of Scotland' which contains lines that could be perceived as anti-English or for booing our national anthem 'God Save The Queen'?

"In this instance, it is irrelevant whether the 'Famine Chant' is deemed sectarian, racist or not. What we are complaining about is the fact that action is being taken against one body of people because of their political beliefs whilst everyone else is free to say and indeed sing what they please without fear of retribution. Until either Strathclyde Police make a public apology to those they have discriminated against or take similar actions against other clubs and their supporters, their action to date cannot be viewed as anything else other than discrimination and a violation of the Human Rights Act 1998".

I have to say it is this part that particularly appeals to me. All i ever ask for is for people to be treated fairly and equal and clearly this has not been happening.

I would ask though the original poster about the investigation. Is it really an "investigation" or is this simply being made public due to receiving an e-mail saying "We will look into it." Its just strikes me that if a body was investigating the police, they may not make it known until they found something ? Not sure if im making sense but i know what i mean :blush:

This campaign has exhausted every avenue that it had to before it came to this, all procedures were followed through all levels of the Police force to the very top. The Professional standards dept wouldn't entertain you for a second if this wasn't done before you reached them, they feel questions have to be answered by Strathclyde Police that they have so far refused to.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to an earlier question...who is carrying out the investigation ?

There is no IPCC in Scotland - the Police investigate themselves.

I realise the OP stated it was their Professional Standards Dept - but is it Strathclyde Police Prof Standards or an outside Police Force ?

Quick question.

When this song was sung at Noel Hunt, was it just a bit of banter aimed at the plastiks?

Or did we lose the moral high ground as far as its concerned?

Also the song, on FF anyway, spawned a thousand wannabee comedians who made it thier daily ritual to post unfunny, offensive jokes about a famine in which over 1 million (catholics and protestants) died.

You decide.

"Rangers fans are being labelled sectarian bigots for being pro-British and patriotic to the country in which they live. Surely logic dictates that those making anti-British statements are also sectarian bigots? We have yet to see threatening messages warning Celtic fans for singing their disgusting songs in support of the IRA. Where are the threatening messages against Scotland fans for singing 'Flower of Scotland' which contains lines that could be perceived as anti-English or for booing our national anthem 'God Save The Queen'?

"In this instance, it is irrelevant whether the 'Famine Chant' is deemed sectarian, racist or not. What we are complaining about is the fact that action is being taken against one body of people because of their political beliefs whilst everyone else is free to say and indeed sing what they please without fear of retribution. Until either Strathclyde Police make a public apology to those they have discriminated against or take similar actions against other clubs and their supporters, their action to date cannot be viewed as anything else other than discrimination and a violation of the Human Rights Act 1998".

I have to say it is this part that particularly appeals to me. All i ever ask for is for people to be treated fairly and equal and clearly this has not been happening.

I would ask though the original poster about the investigation. Is it really an "investigation" or is this simply being made public due to receiving an e-mail saying "We will look into it." Its just strikes me that if a body was investigating the police, they may not make it known until they found something ? Not sure if im making sense but i know what i mean :blush:

This campaign has exhausted every avenue that it had to before it came to this, all procedures were followed through all levels of the Police force to the very top. The Professional standards dept wouldn't entertain you for a second if this wasn't done before you reached them, they feel questions have to be answered by Strathclyde Police that they have so far refused to.

Thanks for the reply. Keep us posted on any correspdonce.

Wonder what Phil Mac Gobble a Man will release as a counter release :sherlock:

Quick question.

When this song was sung at Noel Hunt, was it just a bit of banter aimed at the plastiks?

Also the song, on FF anyway, spawned a thousand wannabee comedians who made it thier daily ritual to post unfunny, offensive jokes about a famine in which over 1 million (catholics and protestants) died.

You decide.

Think you may have missed the point a little.

I disagree with the song, as i have said on numerous occassions, but i disagree more with the uneven handling of Rangers songs in comparison to any other team in Scotland. (tu)

Quick question.

You decide.

Think you may have missed the point a little.

I disagree with the song, as i have said on numerous occassions, but i disagree more with the uneven handling of Rangers songs in comparison to any other team in Scotland. (tu)

I can see that ok, just have no faith in a reasonable response from this from the Police Professional Standards Dept. Do the police have professional standards?

Quick question.

You decide.

It was sung directly at Hunt was it? How do you know that?

So a couple of jokes on a website should justify innocent fans getting arrested?

Give me piece.

This is great work, well done to all involved. No Surrender! :uk:

I concur.

i was playing devils oadvocate.

Ive never hid my feelings on the song in question, originally the best sung we have came up with in years, ultimately ruined by fuckheads.

I applaud VB and thier statement, all we have been asking for is parity for years.

Quick question.

You decide.

It was sung directly at Hunt was it? How do you know that?

So a couple of jokes on a website should justify innocent fans getting arrested?

Give me piece.

This is great work, well done to all involved. No Surrender! :uk:

I was at the game at the end of last season. No-one here will deny it, who was actually there.

Oh, its "peace" not "piece".

As ive already said it was originally a great piece of satire, we lost the moral high ground when we sang it directly at a real irish person.

The song is aimed at Celtic fans. Noel Hunt is a Celtic fan :)

He is a cunt.

But he is also Irish and more importantly makes us and the club look like bigots when sung directly at an irish person.

End of. Anyone with half a brain knows this.

Quick question.

You decide.

Since when has every little scintilla of nuance been extracted from what football fans sing? We sing why don't you go home to the tims because they infest Scottish football with anti-British songs about a famine that is long gone

Quick question.

You decide.

Since when has every little scintilla of nuance been extracted from what football fans sing? We sing why don't you go home to the tims because they infest Scottish football with anti-British songs about a famine that is long gone

I know what Brissy is meaning and i actually agree with him, however its off topic as far as im concerned as this is about the uneven handling of Rangers fans and songs and rather it going down the route of the rights and wrongs of TFS, we should stick to the original sentiments IMHO.

Lets hope something comes of it, though like others, i doubt it. (tu)

Going back to an earlier question...who is carrying out the investigation ?

There is no IPCC in Scotland - the Police investigate themselves.

I realise the OP stated it was their Professional Standards Dept - but is it Strathclyde Police Prof Standards or an outside Police Force ?

I am sure that the procedure involves another Police force in Scotland cunducting the investigation. Although there really should be an independant body investigating these matters, such as in England.

The Police investigating their own misgivings is hardly going to be balanced or constructive. Personally i don't feel anything will come of this but i think if the statement recieves press coverage and the Police are shown to have investigated the incident then the complaint is a success. Purely for the fact that they will have to be more careful when dealing with Rangers fans in the future.

Quick question.

You decide.

If you read again, its not about whether the famine song is racist, sectarian(its neither) or offensive, its about Strathclyde Police and the way they enforce law. 1 rule for Rangers fans, a rule for others. If a law is applied to Rangers fans unjustly or not, then it should be applied to all.

Strathclyde Police have not once given a clear concise answer to any questions to put them on this matter, that includes their own complaints department.