So fecked off with yesteday - the blame lies squarely with Wattie.

mccoist355

For some reason the result and performance yesterday really irks me, and although I usually try to see the glass as half-full, i cant help feeling that it is some kind of milestone in this campaign.

It was the day we handed the initiative back to Septic that they had passed us of the last few weeks, and it was all because of Walter in my opinion.

That was game we HAD to win. But did Wattie set up like that? no. He dusts off the tactics that cost us the league title last season (the 1-1 draw at Motherwell a prime example). The game had the distinct feeling of one of our home UEFA cup bore-draws last season, where we'd really get about the opposition and cause massive problems in the final 10 minutes of games and you'd be thinking, "if only they'd have been told to do this earlier and we'd be laughing!"

Picking Lee McCulloch as a hatchet man, dropping our main goal threat, failing to change the formation during the entire 90 minutes by replacing forwards with forwards, the whole thing stunk of dour defensive negativity that is Smith's biggest failing.

Winning that match would be a huge boost to the confidence of the team and the support, and placed pressure on Septic who delivered a performance in keeping with the fact the weight had been lifted off their shoulders.

Yesterday was a dark day in the title race and possibly the first nail in Smiths coffin at Ibrox. I dearly hope not....

For some reason the result and performance yesterday really irks me, and although I usually try to see the glass as half-full, i cant help feeling that it is some kind of milestone in this campaign.

It was the day we handed the initiative back to Septic that they had passed us of the last few weeks, and it was all because of Walter in my opinion.

That was game we HAD to win. But did Wattie set up like that? no. He dusts off the tactics that cost us the league title last season (the 1-1 draw at Motherwell a prime example). The game had the distinct feeling of one of our home UEFA cup bore-draws last season, where we'd really get about the opposition and cause massive problems in the final 10 minutes of games and you'd be thinking, "if only they'd have been told to do this earlier and we'd be laughing!"

Picking Lee McCulloch as a hatchet man, dropping our main goal threat, failing to change the formation during the entire 90 minutes by replacing forwards with forwards, the whole thing stunk of dour defensive negativity that is Smith's biggest failing.

Winning that match would be a huge boost to the confidence of the team and the support, and placed pressure on Septic who delivered a performance in keeping with the fact the weight had been lifted off their shoulders.

Yesterday was a dark day in the title race and possibly the first nail in Smiths coffin at Ibrox. I dearly hope not....

Great post.

I agree with everything apart from it being the first nail in Smith's coffin. That was surely Kaunas!!

it was similar to last season , setting the team up not to lose in the the hope of snatching a win

we are back to square one with Walter

it was similar to last season , setting the team up not to lose in the the hope of snatching a win

the difference being that last year we had strikers like cousin or darcheville( when he was actually fit) that could score the goals when we werent creating much. The tactics yesterday may have worked if we had played the right people. Mcculloch i just dont understand but putting misser up front on his own was insane. No goals in 6 games and didnt even come close yesterday. He shouldnt even be in the squad for the next game hes so far off form but of course hes probably the first name on the sheet.

the difference being that last year we had strikers like cousin or darcheville( when he was actually fit) that could score the goals when we werent creating much. The tactics yesterday may have worked if we had played the right people. Mcculloch i just dont understand but putting misser up front on his own was insane. No goals in 6 games and didnt even come close yesterday. He shouldnt even be in the squad for the next game hes so far off form but of course hes probably the first name on the sheet.

even with the players you mention it was proved over 38 games , it did not win us the league , 4-4-2 is the formation that we play best , in my opinion

I said this on another board, and, seems to be a good fit for this thread

we are giving other teams too much respect, we should go and play OUR game, we are supposed to be one of "the big 2" after all.

A lot are laying the blame with Smith, and, to an extent thats fair enough, given he dropped our in form, top goalscorer, played one up front who basically CANT score. I have no real problem with the formation, as, if we had for example, naismith and fleck on, with ferguson sitting, and boyd up top, that would have worked, I reckon. As someone else mentioned, on paper, it is a sound counter attacking set up

BUT

I lay the majority of the blame with those players on the field. Are they so timid with such a weak constitution that they cant think for themselves? No heart to actually try and win the game? Such timid people that they NEED to be driven on by a manager or coach?

The majority of that team yesterday were international footballers, regardless of who they were, or anyones opinions of them, they should have been able to beat aberdeen, in my opinion.

I think the main problem we have, is thomson is missing, the guy is our engine room, he tackles, and, gives it to the likes of mendes and ferguson. We have a midfield that cant tackle at the moment.

we are giving other teams too much respect, we should go and play OUR game, we are supposed to be one of "the big 2" after all.

A lot are laying the blame with Smith, and, to an extent thats fair enough, given he dropped our in form, top goalscorer, played one up front who basically CANT score. I have no real problem with the formation, as, if we had for example, naismith and fleck on, with ferguson sitting, and boyd up top, that would have worked, I reckon. As someone else mentioned, on paper, it is a sound counter attacking set up

BUT

I lay the majority of the blame with those players on the field. Are they so timid with such a weak constitution that they cant think for themselves? No heart to actually try and win the game? Such timid people that they NEED to be driven on by a manager or coach?

The majority of that team yesterday were international footballers, regardless of who they were, or anyones opinions of them, they should have been able to beat aberdeen, in my opinion.

I think the main problem we have, is thomson is missing, the guy is our engine room, he tackles, and, gives it to the likes of mendes and ferguson. We have a midfield that cant tackle at the moment.

These 'international' players you speak of are being led (hah) on-field by Captain Never-Gets-Dropped, yet he hasn't had half a decent game since his return.

I say "led" when I should have said, "are being pointed at and blamed for everything".

Is it any wonder some of them down tools when he (Ma-Baw Barry) gets picked week in and week out regardless of how ineffectual he is?

BUT

These 'international' players you speak of are being led (hah) on-field by Captain Never-Gets-Dropped, yet he hasn't had half a decent game since his return.

I say "led" when I should have said, "are being pointed at and blamed for everything".

Is it any wonder some of them down tools when he (Ma-Baw Barry) gets picked week in and week out regardless of how ineffectual he is?

Mate, if they down tools, then they should just get the fuck out the club! They should turn round, and tell him to either a-fuck off, or b- try bucking his own ideas up before he complains at them, except, seems the only player with the bottle to do that IS Thomson. To add to that, and quote another poster elsewhere "Remember the day Souness walked into the Rangers dressing room with a Cup runners up medal, threw it across the room and announced "I don't collect loser's medals"?" Where are they in our side now? players with that attitude? As far as I can see, Thomson and bloody Broadfoot, perhaps Novo. Thats it!

You can say what you like about Ferguson, but, everyone around him appears just as ineffectual for most of the games, so, spread the dislike!

Aberdeen at Pittordrie was never going to be an easy game. Anyone who thought otherwise really isnt up to speed with the current situation we find ourselves in.

After Celtic's defeat at Pittordrie last week it would have been great to go up there and get all 3 points. It wasnt to be, but it wasnt totally unexpected. We didnt lose the game and over a 2 week period we have gained on Celtic.

The must win games are our home game against Dundee Utd and the game against Celtic at Parkhead. They will have a major factor on where the league title goes.

The majority of fans on here said last week if we picked up 7 out of 9 points it would have been a successful period. We are still on course for this, yet its all doom and gloom again.

The amount of fickle fans we have is bordering on the ridiculous. Every week it changes..... Its part and parcel of the footballing season. There will be many ups and downs

Aberdeen at Pittordrie was never going to be an easy game. Anyone who thought otherwise really isnt up to speed with the current situation we find ourselves in.

After Celtic's defeat at Pittordrie last week it would have been great to go up there and get all 3 points. It wasnt to be, but it wasnt totally unexpected. We didnt lose the game and over a 2 week period we have gained on Celtic.

The must win games are our home game against Dundee Utd and the game against Celtic at Parkhead. They will have a major factor on where the league title goes.

The majority of fans on here said last week if we picked up 7 out of 9 points it would have been a successful period. We are still on course for this, yet its all doom and gloom again.

The amount of fickle fans we have is bordering on the ridiculous. Every week it changes..... Its part and parcel of the footballing season. There will be many ups and downs

Wrong.

Calderwood said himself his team were off the pace. EVEN WALTER said the game was there for the taking! We didnt put them under enough pressure and Walters tactics, formation, and team selection were chiefly to blame for that.

Actually league titles are won by going to places like Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Tannadice and WINNING. Draws are meaningless since the 3 point rule. Somebody should tell Wattie that.

I predicted 4, I reckon we'll be lucky to come away with that after the 3 matches.

I had to laugh at some people thinking we'd go to Pittodrie and win by 3,4 goals - that's just laughable.

The people who said we'd take 7 points plus, are the ones who are digging into the management the most after yesterday's result. The 'negative' ones like me, continue to be proved right - it's so predictable.

We'll be lucky to beat Dundee United next week and we'll get mauled at the piggery.

I predicted 4, I reckon we'll be lucky to come away with that after the 3 matches.

I had to laugh at some people thinking we'd go to Pittodrie and win by 3,4 goals - that's just laughable.

The people who said we'd take 7 points plus, are the ones who are digging into the management the most after yesterday's result. The 'negative' ones like me, continue to be proved right - it's so predictable.

We'll be lucky to beat Dundee United next week and we'll get mauled at the piggery.

I, like yourself and a few others fail to get over excited by events at Pittordrie last week cause I know a season lasts 38 games and not 1 or 2.

Some people on here change their mind more than the weather, its embarrassing.

I'd love for us to win the league this year, just like i'd have loved us to win the league for the last 3 seasons. However, at the start of every season we fuck up badly and it is obvious that we arent good enough. I will only get excited WHEN we win the league, cause all this false optimism we have had over the years only make losing the league 10 times harder to take.

Wrong.

Calderwood said himself his team were off the pace. EVEN WALTER said the game was there for the taking! We didnt put them under enough pressure and Walters tactics, formation, and team selection were chiefly to blame for that.

Actually league titles are won by going to places like Pittodrie, Tynecastle, Tannadice and WINNING. Draws are meaningless since the 3 point rule. Somebody should tell Wattie that.

The league title wont be lost because we went to Pittordrie and gained an extra point than Celtic!!

That point may be the difference come the end of the season. Then you will think, glad we got that point. Its too soon to tell whether its a good or bad point

It's sad, but the only player on our team I have confidence in to score goals is Boyd. Sure the others may pop up with a goal now and then (like Davis' quality effort a week ago), but mostly I rarely feel like we'll find the back of the net if anyone but Boyd has the ball in their control. I know I shouldn't be saying disparaging things like that, and am sorry for it, but that's how I've been feeling for a while now.

It's sad, but the only player on our team I have confidence in to score goals is Boyd. Sure the others may pop up with a goal now and then (like Davis' quality effort a week ago), but mostly I rarely feel like we'll find the back of the net if anyone but Boyd has the ball in their control. I know I shouldn't be saying disparaging things like that, and am sorry for it, but that's how I've been feeling for a while now.

Boyd and Novo are the only natural scorers we have. Lafferty and Naismith maybe but they seldom play and always out of position. Novo is hit and miss at times like his miss yesterday. Davis and Mendes every now and again but few and far between. The rest very seldom. That includes Miller who has the least composure of any striker I have ever seen.