Walt: I won't wreck Fleck

RANGERS manager Walter Smith has admitted he fears burning out teen sensation John Fleck.

The 17-year-old starlet will start against Falkirk in the Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final at Hampden.

It will be Fleck’s third successive game since breaking into the first-team. But Smith has warned Gers fans not to expect too much too soon from the youngster.

He said: “John is just like every young player once you start to play them.

“He’ll come in and do a bit, but we’ll take him back out of the team at some stage.

“I don’t mean for the semi or even shortly, but it’s a natural aspect of the situation.

“He’s just 17 and will play a few games, but he’ll go out for a few games to get a rest.

“I think he’s shown in the two games he’s had that he’s been excellent. He fully deserves his chance ahead of others who have maybe been trying to play in that position beforehand.

“But it just takes a bit of time for a young player to settle in.

“For instance, while he had a couple of attempts at goal against Aberdeen there were other times when he was looking to pass to others first, rather than taking on the shot himself.

“That is something which will come, he’ll get that with time. It doesn’t all just fall into place.

“When kids get into the first-team things become more difficult.

“Also his integration into the team with the other players takes a little bit of time.

“But he’s shown he is ready for it.

“In terms of playing, though, I need to take a little bit of care with him to begin with.”

Fleck will keep his place in a Rangers side which WILL also include striker Kris Boyd.

The SPL’s top scorer will return after dropping to the bench at Pittodrie on Saturday.

Smith added: “We’ll make adjustments to the team which we feel are the right ones.

“We’ll change it for the semi-final — Falkirk play in an entirely different manner from Aberdeen.

“We will pick our strongest team, the one we feel is the best one to win the game. There won’t be changes for changes sake.

“I think we showed last season that it’s a competition we want to do well in. While we had a whole raft of games, we competed as best we could in the tournament.

“It’s no different this season — we’re still in it and want to win it.

“Getting to a final is a good thing for the overall confidence in the team.

“There might a bit of negativity on the outside, but I don’t think the players feel that.

“On the footballing side I don’t think we have been affected by anything that’s been happening.

“It would be nice for everyone involved — the supporters, players and management — if we reached the final.”

Smith insists he is expecting a tough clash with Falkirk.

He said: “They played well at Ibrox, but they always do against us.

“They play a good level of football and I must say I’m surprised by the situation they find themselves in.

“Against us they’ve always been good.”

Smith again warned fans NOT to expect any signings this month even if Rangers sell.

He admitted: “We will not be bringing any players in. What I do not know is whether anyone will take anyone.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2175436.ece

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what I expected.

The last part is pretty pish aswell - I feel we need a signing if we want to win the league, even on loan. The current squad isn't good enough and if we lose one of our better players and don't replace them, then we are in big trouble.

I just wish the transfer window would close.

He's bleating on about how it'll take more time for Fleck to settle in but every fucking interview we read with the players goes on about how he's spent so much time with them already and how he feels like a part of the team.

So is it one or the other?

Can someone please explain to me how a player can possibly be burned out on half a seasons worth of football?

Only if they're young.

Didn't have any qualms about playing McCulloch/Adam/Dailly/Weir constantly last year, did he?

At least Fleck will be keeping his place for tomorrow's game, one positive.

I don't like this at all. Why should he be rested after a few games when he's been shining. The lad's young and he'll probably be more raring to play than Ferguson atm.

Entirely sensible statement, again obviously meant to dampen the fans expectations a little. And he does say he won't be dropped

for the semi or even shortly
, so there's every chance he'll play against both Dundee Utd and sellick.

I don't see anything to get too down-hearted about, but I'm sure those with an anti-Smith agenda will find whatever they wish to find. :rolleyes:

This is one situation where Smith is probably correct. Over the years I've seen Ferguson bring through plenty of young players at Man Utd and that's exactly what he does - plays them solid for a few weeks and then pulls them out for a period. Young players aren't usually very consistent and if you play them all the time then inevitably they will start to struggle - that can cause a loss of confidence and cause a real slump in form. Better to pull them out for a bit so they are raring to get back in the team.

Entirely sensible statement, again obviously meant to dampen the fans expectations a little. And he does say he won't be dropped

I don't see anything to get too down-hearted about, but I'm sure those with an anti-Smith agenda will find whatever they wish to find. :rolleyes:

It's the whole "He'll play a few games then get left out for a few games" bit that gets me. It's so blaise.

Does that mean that Fleck will get left out after x number of games regardless of his performances?

Surely something along the lines of "If John keeps up his level of performance then he'll be heavily in our plans for the rest of the season" would be far better.

How would you feel if you were John Fleck reading that you're going to get left out for no apparent reason after a set number of games?

Young players aren't usually very consistent and if you play them all the time then inevitably they will start to struggle - that can cause a loss of confidence and cause a real slump in form.

And their confidence won't be affected by being dropped when they're outperforming those around them?

Lets all be honest. Walter has no track record whatever of developing and nurturing youngsters as they transition into being a major personality in a side. If I were one of John Fleck's relations, much as I love Rangers, I would be encouraging him to look at the development and advice he is getting.

Now, the counter to that is that JF has made it this far through our system and while Walter is not reassuring, there may be others behind the scenes doing and capable of more.

It's the whole "He'll play a few games then get left out for a few games" bit that gets me. It's so blaise.

Does that mean that Fleck will get left out after x number of games regardless of his performances?

Surely something along the lines of "If John keeps up his level of performance then he'll be heavily in our plans for the rest of the season" would be far better.

How would you feel if you were John Fleck reading that you're going to get left out for no apparent reason after a set number of games?

That's exactly what it means - he gets rested before his form goes off and he starts to lose confidence.

Look - you guys go on about Smith being a dinosaur, but this is a common practice when bringing young players through into high level football. Do you want us to emulate a top team or be more like Hamilton?

just fcuk off ya old fcuk wit

bkay you always make me laugh, right to the point and no messing about. :D

tbh minstral I am just fed up with him. there was a thread Dado made about respecting Smith but I have lost pretty much all respect for him these days especially with statements like this. his theory on football is why we are 15-20 years behind teams like fecking Serbia

Young players aren't usually very consistent and if you play them all the time then inevitably they will start to struggle - that can cause a loss of confidence and cause a real slump in form.

And their confidence won't be affected by being dropped when they're outperforming those around them?

Exactly.

This whole idea about inconsistent youngsters is a British fallacy drilled into coaches from a young age.

So what Mike is saying is that if youngsters play for a whole season, their form will dip at some point. This implies that older players play for whole seasons at 100% in every game?

This clearly isn't the case. A lad with Fleck's talent at 17 will have patches of poor form just as a 31 year old Thierry Henry will. It's no reason to hide behind the 'burnout' excuse.

That's exactly what it means - he gets rested before his form goes off and he starts to lose confidence.

Look - you guys go on about Smith being a dinosaur, but this is a common practice when bringing young players through into high level football. Do you want us to emulate a top team or be more like Hamilton?

But why didn't he rest Ferguson, Mendes or more recently Davis before they went off form?

To suggest that only youngsters go off form over a season is absolute clap-trap. They've got as much chance of suffering a dip in form as a 34 year old veteran.