Stefan Klos interview on his time at Rangers & now

Boab

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: Today

Stefan Klos knew he'd followed Andy Goram into the hearts of the Rangers support when they dubbed him 'Der Goalie'.

Now he will follow Goram into the club's Hall of Fame at a star-studded dinner next month.

The German keeper moved to Ibrox on Christmas Eve 1998 tasked with filling the void left by fans' favourite Goram and he did so with distinction.

Klos said: "I didn't follow Andy straight away. I think that helped.

"Lionel Charbonnier was there before me, but I got my chance and I took it.

"I'd never have tried to follow Andy because I know how big a legend he was. I always tried to be my own man.

"I remember the game at Parkhead in March 2000 when we effectively won our second title. We beat Celtic 1-0 that night.

"I had a good game and the club magazine called me 'Der Goalie'.

"That was special for me. I felt the fans accepted me after that.

"They would never forget Andy, but they appreciated I could do a job for them."

Despite being at his peak during his time at Rangers, Klos was never picked to play for his country.

Oliver Kahn was top dog in Germany and with Klos playing outside the Bundesliga there was never a chance of him realising his boyhood dream.

But he insisted: "I have no regrets about the national team.

"At the time Germany had very good keepers.

"Kahn was really dominating. He was at the top for ten years and there was no need to change anything.

"Jens Lehmann was also there. Maybe I'd have had a better chance had I stayed in Germany. When I moved to Rangers I was out of the picture but I don't regret it at all."

Klos will return to Glasgow to be inducted into Gers' Hall of Fame.

He said: "It's a great honour. There are some fantastic players there and I'm very proud to be joining them."

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: Today

For a man who spends so much time on the piste, it's a sobering thought.

After eight-and-a-half years at Rangers, the harsh reality of how it all ended is something Stefan Klos will always struggle to face.

It wasn't the way the German had dreamed of saying goodbye.

A Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund, a four-time title winner at Ibrox.

He'd earned the right to be carried shoulder high with his legacy intact.

A bitter row with boss Alex McLeish robbed him of that.

Klos was Rangers captain when he damaged knee ligaments in training back in January 2005.

It was the beginning of the end for the man Gers fans had dubbed Der Goalie.

After missing the remainder of that double-winning season a fully-fit Klos expected to be back in goal at start of the following season.

Instead, Ronald Waterreus kept his place - a decision which still rankles with Klos.

He said: "I was disappointed at how it all ended. I was fighting back and my fitness was good.

"But when I was coming back it was already decided I was no longer No1. That was the really disappointing thing.

"At the time it was frustrating but it's gone now and I'm happy.

"I spend my time skiing - and being a taxi driver for my children. I'm happy and settled, but you sometimes think back.

"I wouldn't like to say if I deserved better because in football what you have done in the past doesn't count.

"I was fit, but the manager picks the team and he went with a different option.

"I continued to show a good attitude in training and I never spoke out in the press.

"But it was difficult for me to take because I felt my fate was already decided.

"The way I was treated it was like 'You'd better go'. That was the surprise for me."

There is no love lost between the Dutch and the Germans but despite rumours to the contrary Klos, now retired and living in Switzerland, maintains he never had an issue with Waterreus.

His problem lay with McLeish. He said: "I had no problem with Ronald, every player wants to play.

"I wanted to play in goal and I wanted to stay in goal.

"I was professional and I didn't go looking for a big explanation. He was the manager and he made the decisions. He lives or dies by them, there's nothing you can do.

"The sad thing was in the end Rangers finished third, he left and Ronald was sent away. That, I feel, was a bit of a waste. I haven't seen Alex McLeish, I'm not in Britain often - and I think there would be other people I'd see before I met him."

Klos looked all set to challenge Lionel Letizi for the No1 slot when Paul le Guen took control at the start of the 2006-07 season. Instead a summer biking accident effectively ended his playing career, with Klos turning out for his first and last start of the season against Osasuna in the UEFA Cup. March, 8, 2007. It was to be his final appearance in a Rangers jersey.

Klos sighed: "I like to think in a positive way, but when you see how I finished my football career you can see it was not positive.

"I wanted to win all the trophies available, hold them in one hand and wave 'I'm off' with the other. But life is not like that I guess.

"My ligaments were all gone in my shoulder and when I said goodbye I even had a fracture in my finger. It wasn't the way I wanted to say goodbye. I was touching 36 when I retired but it was very difficult and emotional."

Klos walked away from football when he walked out of Ibrox for the final time.

Settled in Zurich, his days are spent enjoying life with his wife and four kids.

He'll always cherish his time in Glasgow, especially the memories of those explosive Old Firm derbies.

Klos - set to be named in Gers' Hall of Fame next month - said: "I have many highlights from my time at Rangers. But winning at Parkhead to win the league in 1999 was incredible.

"I'll never forget that day or the atmosphere in the stadium. I'd never experienced anything like it. I played in an Old Firm game before, but there was a huge edge to this one because we could win the league at their ground. You can never prepare yourself for the atmosphere in these games. In every game there was always something happening. A red card, a penalty, players fighting.

"On this occasion the ref was struck with coins and I remember a Celtic fan fell from the stand. It was just crazy.

"Even as a foreigner you get sucked in. The pressure is on and you have to prove yourself."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...Der-goalie.html

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...o-my-heart.html

My hero as a kid. Didn't have the size for a keeper, but he sure could use it.

Try to put a bit of balance into this;

He fell out with McLeish because of two incidents - firstly he refused to play in reserve games as part of his recovery and secondly, and if you can remember a particular Old Firm Game at Parkhead, it was a League Cup Q/F I think.

Maloney scored with a long range shot and his positioning was suspect to say the least and the second goal he shit himself when Balde ran at him. We got beat 2-0 that night and McLeish was under particular pressure at that point.

He had dropped Wattereus and re-instated Klos but he let McLeish down that night IMO.

He fell out with McLeish because of two incidents - firstly he refused to play in reserve games as part of his recovery and secondly, and if you can remember a particular Old Firm Game at Parkhead, it was a League Cup Q/F I think.

Maloney scored with a long range shot and his positioning was suspect to say the least and the second goal he shit himself when Balde ran at him. We got beat 2-0 that night and McLeish was under particular pressure at that point.

He had dropped Wattereus and re-instated Klos but he let McLeish down that night IMO.

Fuck you.

He's a hero.

You don't bring up Goram's shortcomings in threads that mention him, do you?

But just one night?

Klos was a fucking legend. Looked like Hitler, played like a panzer.

I always thought Klos got a ridiculous amount of stick for that night. Maybe not his best night, but to put all the blame on him is shocking imo. If I remember correctly, he wasn't the only player who 'let McLeish down that night' as you put it.

It was the fact that he wouldn't play in reserve games which delayed his inclusion back in the team and it was his lack of match practice that showed up that night. He was on around 28000 a week so his atitude was suspect for the loot he was making.

I dont think he merits Hall of Fame but that's only my opinion.

I always thought Klos got a ridiculous amount of stick for that night. Maybe not his best night, but to put all the blame on him is shocking imo. If I remember correctly, he wasn't the only player who 'let McLeish down that night' as you put it.

Soti being stupidly went off would be another.

It was the fact that he wouldn't play in reserve games which delayed his inclusion back in the team and it was his lack of match practice that showed up that night. He was on around 28000 a week so his atitude was suspect for the loot he was making.

I dont think he merits Hall of Fame but that's only my opinion.

What about when Goram got steaming while recovering from an injury and missed his flight home from a holiday?

Does that mean since he let the club down, he's not a legend?

An absolute legend, was one of the best shot stoppers in the world at the time, and a cl winner yet he chose to play for us. Apart from his dodgy kicking he rarely put a foot (glove) wrong. Big Eck fkd him out of a heros farewell that the big man truly deserved! Stefan Klos I salute you sir!

Speaking of keepers, does anyone happen to know what was the official first game of Jesper Christiansen?

I remember his first at Ibrox, and seeing him there warming up making all these saves with his legs (unknowning that that is what he'd be doing in the games too). :lol:

Speaking of keepers, does anyone happen to know what was the official first game of Jesper Christiansen?

I remember his first at Ibrox, and seeing him there warming up making all these saves with his legs (unknowning that that is what he'd be doing in the games too). :lol:

First time i saw him, he was in the cinema with mr lovenkrands to see american pie 2

he made his debut away at Sturm Graz - we lost 2-0

strongest memory of his is trying to save Simeone's shot with his legs against Monaco and knocking us out the Champions League

You also remember why Waterreus was dropped ?

Might have something to do with 3 or 4 howlers ?

Wasn't it a 3-0 defeat to Killie at Ibrox?

would you not ?

balde got away with throwing his weight around & smashing opponents countless times. i think any keeper would brick it in an aerial challenge with that KKKunt !!