Davis Gets Central Role

Amac9

WALTER SMITH has revealed Steve Davis is to be moved back into central midfield to cover for the loss of Lee McCulloch as Rangers get set for a vital SPL clash with Motherwell at Ibrox tomorrow.

McCulloch is having surgery on Tuesday to cure a knee problem and may miss the rest of the campaign.

Smith is concerned that the loss of his experience will leave Rangers short in this area so playmaker Davis will be given a central role.

The manager said today: "I can move Steve Davis back into the middle now. He is more experienced. When you look at Maurice Edu and Jamie Ness they have not played a lot of football in their careers for different reasons.

"We can move a few players around. We have players who can play in a number of positions.

"Lee McCulloch was doing very well for us and it's a blow he is out injured.

"In fairness to Ness he has handled it very well so far. He has hampered by injuries when he was younger coming through the youth teams so he has not had many games overall.

"I think the five or six games he has had for us represents the longest run he has had fit since I came to the club.

"He is handling it very well and he is playing very well but like all other younger players, when you bring them in you have to be careful you are not over-playing them."

Pretty sure that means the end of Jamie Ness in CM.

If Ness gets left out for Davis and Edu then it will be totally wrong IMO. Davis and Edu have not turned up this season and Ness has been our best player since he came into the side.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Davis and Ness in the middle is what the majority would want (tu)

I said in the other thread I didn't know about how injury prone he was. I always wondered why he fell away in the 2nd half of games.

He's had a fair amount of injuries that have hampered his general fitness, plus the fact that he's only 19yrs old doesn't help.

As he gets older, his fitness and stamina will improve as he learns how to pace himself during a game. That kid Forrest at the scum is going through the same stage of his career as Jamie Ness is.

He will be fine! :sherlock:

Sounds like the wily old fox is going to drop Ness in favour of experience, even though that experience has been awful this season. How gutted will he be after such a fantastic start to his Rangers career? :(

Oh well, we can have our opinions but our say matters not.

He's had a fair amount of injuries that have hampered his general fitness, plus the fact that he's only 19yrs old doesn't help.

As he gets older, his fitness and stamina will improve as he learns how to pace himself during a game. That kid Forrest at the scum is going through the same stage of his career as Jamie Ness is.

He will be fine! :sherlock:

No worries guys, Oz has sorted it. Just a transitional period in his career.

Tell that Walter to calm it then eh? :pipe:

Edu at CDM, Davis & Ness at CM!

Yes, thats what we'll do, play 5 in midfield against Motherwell. Player should be played on performances, and Edu should be nowhere near the starting line up.

Give me a midfield of Naismith , Davis , Ness , Diouf with Weiss suporting Jelavic, every week.

Yes, thats what we'll do, play 5 in midfield against Motherwell. Player should be played on performances, and Edu should be nowhere near the starting line up.

Give me a midfield of Naismith , Davis , Ness , Diouf with Weiss suporting Jelavic, every week.

This.

No worries guys, Oz has sorted it. Just a transitional period in his career.

Tell that Walter to calm it then eh? :pipe:

There's a lot of difference between resting a youngster and dropping a youngster.

Some people think because a kid is substituted or left out of the team, the manager thinks he hasn't been playing well, when in fact the manager is just of the opinion the kid needs a rest, for the reason I stated.

In these days of playing 50-60 games a season and at the pace the SPL is played at, it's too easy to burn a kid out very quickly if he's not looked after properly.

Walter is too auld in the heid to let that happen to Ness.