The Dignity of Mr Warburton

Falcoholic

I am in complete admiration of Mark Warburton, not only for the work he has done with the team and the way he handles the mhedia and press conferences but for the dignified manner in which he conducts his business in the transfer market.

Now for weeks we’ve had lots of teams linked with various players through the usual mhedia outlets but we have new players in at Rangers and the possibility of some leaving but never once has the Gaffer run to the press bleating about any of his transfer business.

The Scott Allan saga was typical of how other managers in Scotland react to Rangers being interested in a player from another Scottish (sic) team. The obvious bitterness and hatred of Rangers wasn’t exactly well hidden during those “negotiations” And now we have Tommy Wright at St. Johnstone who, I thought better of to be honest, coming out today and slating Rangers because he thinks transfer talks have upset his player and once again it’s all the fault of big bad Rangers. Frankly now it’s becoming more than a bit boring and repetitive. But throughout all of the negotiations over players transfers not once do we here from Mark Warburton. No hateful press releases and no mhedia conferences. Just quietly going about his business and letting the haters hate.

A fair amount has been written in the press just recently about how Rangers should be doing more business in the transfer market in Scotland and that we shouldn’t  be buying unknowns from England if we want to remain competitive. Well after all of the latest bullshit who could blame Rangers for not shopping here.

I hope we don’t sign O’Halloran. Not because he’s not good enough or because he’s too expensive, simply because I cannot be bothered with “Rangers sign a catholic” garbage we would have to put up with from all quarters. I’m convinced that he too will have that in his mind, if, and before, he puts pen to paper.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure the press up here know how to deal with MW's dignity and professionalism. Usually the same tired old questions at press conferences and can anyone remember any positive news story about the success of the new Rangers manager? Anything to do with us having potentially one of the best British managers of his generation? No? Didn't think so. But today good old ronny, eh, says good old stokesie!

Agree with the OP here. The one thing MW has been at absolute pains to say in each press conference is that he won't talk about another clubs players as that would be disrespectful, followed by reiterating that once a signing is made and only then will he discuss a transfer. I'd suggest Wright could learn something here instead of trying to flog his players in the press.

4 minutes ago, Bears said:

I'm not sure the press up here know how to deal with MW's dignity and professionalism. Usually the same tired old questions at press conferences and can anyone remember any positive news story about the success of the new Rangers manager? Anything to do with us having potentially one of the best British managers of his generation? No? Didn't think so. But today good old ronny, eh, says good old stokesie!

"Potentially one of the best British managers of his generation"

fuck me gently. He's been a manager for a whopping one full season so far and has yet to manage any club in the top flight anywhere.

We don't half go overboard sometimes :lol:

I am getting a little frustrated to be honest re the transfers because the narrative from the press is that if we dont sign supposed targets, then we have fucked up or are being skint flints. They are desperate to paint us as either incompetent, naive of skint. 

The gloating from the press after the Allen fiasco said it all really.

The press only want us to buy from up here so they can turn it into a "this is Rangers way of saying sorry". Bullshit like that will be spun out. The press up here are the lowest of the low and I'l bet if MO signs there will be questions in the press conference that refer to his religion. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

"Potentially one of the best British managers of his generation"

fuck me gently. He's been a manager for a whopping one full season so far and has yet to manage any club in the top flight anywhere.

We don't half go overboard sometimes :lol:

Being someone who seemingly writes for a living, I'd have thought the word 'potentially' would have easily countered your negative reaction to the other words in the sentence, especially being in that specific position in the sentence. But maybe not. Shall we wait a few years and see?

23 minutes ago, Falcoholic said:

I am in complete admiration of Mark Warburton, not only for the work he has done with the team and the way he handles the mhedia and press conferences but for the dignified manner in which he conducts his business in the transfer market.

Now for weeks we’ve had lots of teams linked with various players through the usual mhedia outlets but we have new players in at Rangers and the possibility of some leaving but never once has the Gaffer run to the press bleating about any of his transfer business.

The Scott Allan saga was typical of how other managers in Scotland react to Rangers being interested in a player from another Scottish (sic) team. The obvious bitterness and hatred of Rangers wasn’t exactly well hidden during those “negotiations” And now we have Tommy Wright at St. Johnstone who, I thought better of to be honest, coming out today and slating Rangers because he thinks transfer talks have upset his player and once again it’s all the fault of big bad Rangers. Frankly now it’s becoming more than a bit boring and repetitive. But throughout all of the negotiations over players transfers not once do we here from Mark Warburton. No hateful press releases and no mhedia conferences. Just quietly going about his business and letting the haters hate.

A fair amount has been written in the press just recently about how Rangers should be doing more business in the transfer market in Scotland and that we shouldn’t  be buying unknowns from England if we want to remain competitive. Well after all of the latest bullshit who could blame Rangers for not shopping here.

I hope we don’t sign O’Halloran. Not because he’s not good enough or because he’s too expensive, simply because I cannot be bothered with “Rangers sign a catholic” garbage we would have to put up with from all quarters. I’m convinced that he too will have that in his mind, if, and before, he puts pen to paper.

From the point of view of presentation and the way he conducts himself mark Warburton is the perfect manager.  He's a credit to himself and the club.

The last paragraph is ludicrous. When was the last time there was “Rangers sign a catholic” "garbage" ?  We've signed shitloads and even had a couple of Irishmen on the books; it's a non-issue to anyone with any sense.

2 minutes ago, Bears said:

Being someone who seemingly writes for a living, I'd have thought the word 'potentially' would have easily countered your negative reaction to the other words in the sentence, especially being in that specific position in the sentence. But maybe not. Shall we wait a few years and see?

Potentially isn't a get out for a ridiculous statement like that. 

"Potentially Fraser Aird could become the greatest player in the club's history"

See? Adding potentially doesn't make it any less ridiculous. 

Maybe a decade or so and wait and see. And then acknowledge I was right. 

Don't disagree about Stubbs, however I think you need to understand how the press works!

Press prick desperate for anti-Rangers scrap to feed off: Tommy has Rangers interest unsettled MO

Tommy: Yes he's unsettled Rangers are a huge club, naturally their interest has turned his head, we haven't heard anything since the second bid last week.

Headline: Tommy blames Rangers for unsettling his start player.

3 minutes ago, SasaPapacLoyal said:

Explain

McCoist being respectful to other clubs was regularly called pathetic, spineless or my own favourite "Cheeky Chappy Ally wanting to be everyone's pal"

MW does it and he's some kind of media master who the lowly Scottish hacks just can't deal with. 

Incredibly, both are/were acting with the professionalism and decorum expected of a Rangers manager.

McCoist being respectful to other clubs was regularly called pathetic, spineless or my own favourite "Cheeky Chappy Ally wanting to be everyone's pal"

MW does it and he's some kind of media master who the lowly Scottish hacks just can't deal with. 

Incredibly, both are/were acting with the professionalism and decorum expected of a Rangers manager.

not really sure anybody is suggesting that - MW is good in that he doesn't give them anything to work with. Unfortunately when you do that, they can then make up stuff.

Mccoist was ok but when the press spoon fed him a line I distinctly remember him continually reply with the word "absolutely!". I dont think I have ever heard MW simply agree with a journo out of hand.

What annoys me is the flak we take for doing what every other club does. We sign players on pre contracts, we are accused of acting underhand and tapping up players (impossible when they have 6 months left of contract). We spend a bit of cash and its "how do they have that money its unfair" , we try to spend prudently and its " thats disrespectful they are unsettling players now". 

We cant win either way and if Warburton didnt realise the bitterness and hate he would face as Rangers manager then he certainly does now. Luckily he is a top class guy and knows how to handle it gracefully.

Mr Warburton is full of class and a gentleman. Not only as a manager but as a person as well it would seem. He fits the standards and traditions set by this club perfectly and continually presents himself and the club very well. He wont go shouting to the papers about potential signings why would he? Its no business of anyones bar Rangers the player and the players club. Unfortunately in Scotland bad press for Rangers is good press so stories never kept quiet.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Potentially isn't a get out for a ridiculous statement like that. 

"Potentially Fraser Aird could become the greatest player in the club's history"

See? Adding potentially doesn't make it any less ridiculous. 

Maybe a decade or so and wait and see. And then acknowledge I was right. 

I would say that people do go overboard somtimes but id have to agree and say Warburton and the way he does thing could "potentially" be one of the best brittish managers around. He is certainly up and coming!

17 minutes ago, Briton said:

The last paragraph is ludicrous. When was the last time there was “Rangers sign a catholic” "garbage" ?  We've signed shitloads and even had a couple of Irishmen on the books; it's a non-issue to anyone with any sense.

I agree that it that they were reasonably quiet with regards to John Daly etc but they way things are being escalated with regard to the old chestnut of "sectarianism" I would fully expect the press to go a bit further if we signed OH in an attempt to stir things up even more.

Just my opinion.

Being respectful doesn't just cover talking about transfer targets. And tbh I can't really remember him speaking about anyone who was under contract.

Another target is former Ibrox defender Carlos Cuellar but Rangers are no closer to reaching agreement on a fee with Aston Villa.

"Carlos Cuellar is very high on the list," said McCoist. "I know negotiations have been going on between the two clubs.

"Carlos is a player we would certainly like to see come back but there is a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and then.

"He is still an Aston Villa player and they are aware of our interest. There has been dialogue but there is still a lot of work to be done on that one.

24 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Warburton praised for the same things McCoist was criticised for. (Not necessarily by the OP) 

Why even bring Ally into this post. The post is about MW. The club is trying to move on,perhaps its time some supporters did as well.

fuckin hell dude - is there anybody he didn't talk about?

McCoist also refused to give up hope of luring SPL stars David Goodwillie and Lee Wallace to Rangers, even though Dundee United's Goodwillie has been linked with Cardiff and Hearts have already rejected a bid for Wallace.

"I wouldn't say it's dead in the water," said the Ibrox boss of his pursuit of Goodwillie. "The interest certainly isn't dead in the water.

"Our representatives have spoken with Stephen Thompson at Dundee United so there has been dialogue, although there has been no offer made as yet."

On a second bid for Wallace, McCoist added: "I would be hopeful of that but I can't tell you any more than that because I haven't had a chance to speak to [owner] Craig Whyte today.

"There is a little bit of a gap in the valuation of the player between the clubs.

"I'll have a chat with Craig and see what we want to do but I make no secret of the fact that the first bid has been rejected and Lee is a player we would be keen to get here."

5 minutes ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

I would say that people do go overboard somtimes but id have to agree and say Warburton and the way he does thing could "potentially" be one of the best brittish managers around. He is certainly up and coming!

He's in his fifties. I'd argue Alex Neil and Eddie Howe are up and coming managers. 

Was thinking about this coming to work this morning.

The press and St Johnstone essentially talking about Rangers unsettling O'Halloran etc.

At no point has MW mentioned St Johnstone or O'Halloran, always saying 'respectfully we won't talk about other teams' players'.

We are perfectly entitled to scout and bid for any player as per our valuation. 

The only people unsettling O'Halloran are the press and his own manager/club by continually talking about it in public. MW has been class personified since he came to us, and long may it continue. All it does is show how much everyone one hates us, and as Souness said, we don't care.