Your most underhand way of seeing the big game

Thermopylae

15 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Always remember a wee cunt crawling at my legs going in to rugby park once. I ended up buying him a pie once we got in, wee boy looked starved

Good to know the tradition is still going strong :)

I always thought a season ticket must have been a fortune to buy so never even thought of asking for one at Christmas instead of silly shite like bikes and sega's. Probably cheaper as well. Would have made me feel like royalty at that age lol

The turnstiles at the janefield street side of the Rangers end of the piggery used to be two tiered , and Bears used to go up the steps to the turnstiles and hand the guy the wrong stub of the ticket , then when through the turnstile you dropped your ticket back over the wall to the queuing Bears below and someone else got to use it . Glasgow's finest knew what was happening , but pre Hillsborough they would rather have you inside the ground than hanging about outside . We must have had about 50% extra in there for some games .

Getting a lift over the turnstiles next to Edmiston House was a common thing when I started going with my schoolmates during the 70's . Left you more money for a macaroon bar or a chopped pork roll from from the boys who walked round the terracing .

When I was about 11, I made my way to Hampden for a Rangers v c*ltic cup final.

The game was ticket only and I thought that I would be able to buy a ticket outside the ground, but no joy.

Then a bunch of Bears shouted 'they are letting people in at the c*ltic end - pay at the gate'

A whole bunch of us ran over and sure enough got in.

I was wearing a big Rangers rosette and where I was standing I could only see about a third of the park, I was getting some strange looks from the scum supporters but I suppose as I was a wee boy - they never said much except 'your team is going to get beat son'

The scum scored and by this time I was feeling miserable as I had pins and needles all down my leg due to the way I had to strain to see what I could of the game.

I decided that enough was enough and started to limp (due to the pins and needles) down toward the gate.

A St Johns ambulanceman said to me 'what is up son'?

I replied some of those c*ltic supporters were kicking me because I had my rosette on, he said 'come with me to the ambulance room and I will have a look'

Now as luck would have it I had some fresh black bruises on my shin from playing football the day before so I agreed to go with him - limping all the way

In the ambulance room he had a look at my leg and said 'they sure have kicked you son' to which I said 'please dont put me back in there'

He said 'don't worry, sit there for a few minutes'

As I sat the pins and needles went away and I said to him 'I am feeling a bit better now'

'Ok son' he said 'come with me' and promptly took me round to the Rangers end and put me in the enclosure right next to the pitch at the half way line

I can't remember the score but I think we got beat that day - might have been 3-2 but I got to see my heroes play right up close and personal so it was a winning day for me as a boy.

Was early 70's in the days when you could go to the match and actually enjoy yourself.

Happy days..

Kind of cheating here because I already had a ticket , but in the New Years game in 1987 , I was given the chance to go in with a press photographer . 

Met him before the game , where he gave me a press card - no picture , no name , just like a bank card that said Press. Knocked on the big exit doors for the old enclosure where a steward looked at them and just let us in . On entering , we were in with the tims at the enclosure where he says ' there you go ' . 

' Fuck off ' says I , ' you're not leaving me here ' , apart from which I'd brought my camera for the big day , ' I'm off to pitch side with you ' . So all we did was walk to end of enclosure to the track and simply walked out - no security , nothing. 

Stood in the pissing rain at the BR end right at the side of the goal and was lucky to see close hand both our goals that day. 

HT , walked into the tunnel area , just outside the Dressing Room doors , got a free pie and was inches from the Rangers team as they came out the 2nd half. 

Still got the pictures somewhere , though they were pretty shitey from a Kodak Instamatic ! 

6 out of 7 of us got into the piggery in 2006 by doubling up. 

Went back the next time we played there to try again and stupidly doubled up with a plumper bloke and we got stuck in the turnstile lol ended up getting through and there was about 5 coppers waiting to pap me out ! 

As a boy, I always made my way to grounds for a "Lift ower"...never failed no matter where. Used to get on buses for nothing either by just saying "Any chance mate, gonnae get a lift ower when there"......Great days but would never work now. The Lochwood bus in Easterhouse made me sing the Billy boys to make sure I qualified for a freebie...I was 10

1988...5-1 game - student card and a shirt and tie - said I was an off-duty steward - straight into the East Enclosure. 1989...4-1 game - same tactics except this time I went along 2 hours before kick off and got a friend in too - spent an hour wandering around track-side whilst the cops were having their briefing in the front of the Copland.  2000...porkheid - a tenner to the guy on the turnstile and told him to get his maw a present. 2001....porkheid - managed to retain the whole ticket (rather than give up the stub) then passed it out under the fence for another bear to use to get in....... Oh the fun!  Now a very law-abiding (and boring) citizen!!