Taigs

Believe it or not, some people think you can. Not sure I accept their logic tbh. Seems a little bit of a stretch to me. And I thought religious people couldn't get any weirder...

In the Netherlands, 42% of the members of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands (PKN) are nontheists. Non-belief among clergymen is not always perceived as a problem. Some follow the tradition of “Christian non-realism,” most famously expounded in the UK by Don Cupitt in the 1980s, which holds that God is a symbol or metaphor and that religious language is not matched by a transcendent reality. According to an investigation of 860 pastors in seven Dutch Protestant denominations, 1 in 6 clergy are either agnostic or atheist. In one of those denominations, the Remonstrant Brotherhood, the number of doubters was 42 percent. A minister of the PKN, Klaas Hendrikse has described God as "a word for experience, or human experience" and said that Jesus may have never existed. Hendrikse gained attention with his book published in November 2007, in which he said that it was not necessary to believe in God's existence in order to believe in 'God'. The Dutch title of the book translates as, 'Believing in a God who does not exist: manifesto of an atheist pastor'. Hendrikse writes in the book. 'God is for me not a being but a word for what can happen between people. Someone says to you, for example, 'I will not abandon you', and then makes those words come true. It would be perfectly alright to call that [relationship] God.' A General Synod found Klass Hendrikse's views were widely shared among both clergy and church members. The February 3, 2010 decision to allow Hendrikse to continue working as a pastor followed the advice of a regional supervisory panel that the statements by Hendrikse, “are not of sufficient weight to damage the foundations of the Church. The ideas of Hendrikse are theologically not new, and are in keeping with the liberal tradition that is an integral part of our church,” the special panel concluded.

<cr>

Darwin's Phd was Theism. The world is a strange place :lol:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say im an Atheist with Protestant values from Protestant heritage, i wouldnt use the term "Protestant Atheist" but i would understand what someone meant by it

Should we assume that your Protestant values are relating to the Christian teachings around turning the other cheek, peace, love and forgiveness?

I have a proposal. When we meet the scum next season or in the SC this season, I say we strike the fear of death into them before a ball is kicked and raise our banners glorifying soap. Pamolive, Cussins and the like should do it and good for a two goal advantage, not that we will need it, but would shut those dirty, stinking mhanky rhabid bastards to fuck up!

You forgot lifebhoy

Same guy that had Macleod in the Union Jack away kit in his sig :lol:

I always hated that bastard shouting his mouth for months for about how Salmond was going to do this and that. The No vote came in he disappeared then he suddenly appears as soon as Dave King gets back on the scene,away ye go ya prize wanker.

Believe it or not, some people think you can. Not sure I accept their logic tbh. Seems a little bit of a stretch to me. And I thought religious people couldn't get any weirder...

In the Netherlands, 42% of the members of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands (PKN) are nontheists. Non-belief among clergymen is not always perceived as a problem. Some follow the tradition of “Christian non-realism,” most famously expounded in the UK by Don Cupitt in the 1980s, which holds that God is a symbol or metaphor and that religious language is not matched by a transcendent reality. According to an investigation of 860 pastors in seven Dutch Protestant denominations, 1 in 6 clergy are either agnostic or atheist. In one of those denominations, the Remonstrant Brotherhood, the number of doubters was 42 percent. A minister of the PKN, Klaas Hendrikse has described God as "a word for experience, or human experience" and said that Jesus may have never existed. Hendrikse gained attention with his book published in November 2007, in which he said that it was not necessary to believe in God's existence in order to believe in 'God'. The Dutch title of the book translates as, 'Believing in a God who does not exist: manifesto of an atheist pastor'. Hendrikse writes in the book. 'God is for me not a being but a word for what can happen between people. Someone says to you, for example, 'I will not abandon you', and then makes those words come true. It would be perfectly alright to call that [relationship] God.' A General Synod found Klass Hendrikse's views were widely shared among both clergy and church members. The February 3, 2010 decision to allow Hendrikse to continue working as a pastor followed the advice of a regional supervisory panel that the statements by Hendrikse, “are not of sufficient weight to damage the foundations of the Church. The ideas of Hendrikse are theologically not new, and are in keeping with the liberal tradition that is an integral part of our church,” the special panel concluded.

<cr>

The mind boggles, doh

Can anyone think of any other major club that uses another country's flag as it's main symbol?

They are not normal people and trying to understand them defies logic.

1. What other clubs fans wave the flag of a foreign 3rd world nation?
  2. What other clubs fans fans sing the national anthem of a foreign 3rd world country?
  3. What other clubs fans glorify terrorists who murder their own countrymen?
  4. What other clubs fans stink of shite and body odour?
  5. What other clubs fans spend every waking hour obsessing over their vastly superior and more successful rival ?
  6. What other clubs fans shag their sisters and batter their wives?
  7. What other clubs fans proclaim to be a club "open to all" whilst singing sectarian songs, terrorist songs and have been involved in so many instances of vile disgusting racism.

They are not normal people. They are vile disgusting vermin and they are a scab on the arse of humanity.

They are not normal people and trying to understand them defies logic.

1. What other clubs fans wave the flag of a foreign 3rd world nation?
  2. What other clubs fans fans sing the national anthem of a foreign 3rd world country?
  3. What other clubs fans glorify terrorists who murder their own countrymen?
  4. What other clubs fans stink of shite and body odour?
  5. What other clubs fans spend every waking hour obsessing over their vastly superior and more successful rival ?
  6. What other clubs fans shag their sisters and batter their wives?
  7. What other clubs fans proclaim to be a club "open to all" whilst singing sectarian songs, terrorist songs and have been involved in so many instances of vile disgusting racism.

They are not normal people. They are vile disgusting vermin and they are a scab on the arse of humanity.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here.

It came to me when I tried to classify the timmigrant species and I realised that they're not actually mammals.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but the timmigrants do not.

They move to an area and multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way they can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern.

Do you know what it is?

It is a virus.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here.

It came to me when I tried to classify the timmigrant species and I realised that they're not actually mammals.

Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but the timmigrants do not.

They move to an area and multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way they can survive is to spread to another area.

There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern.

Do you know what it is?

It is a virus.

You are Smith and I claim my £5.

Should we assume that your Protestant values are relating to the Christian teachings around turning the other cheek, peace, love and forgiveness?

No. Just hate taigs

Well said CA. Imagine how ridiculous it would be if some new team started up and they sang the Slovenian national anthem? Would be bonkers unless you were a tim.