If You Could Go Back 2 Years ...

rosco_g88

I think when we were put down into the Third Division 2 years ago the main philosophy was to get back to the top tier as soon as possible and because of that, a lot of experienced SPL players were brought in across the transfer windows on wages which in my own opinion I don't think we should be spending.

A lot of this over-spending has resulted in our latest round of financial woes but if all continues steadily we should be back in the top tier this time next year but god only knows how the team will be playing and what the bank balance would be.

My question would be, knowing what we already know, would you have been in favour of just playing the youth in these divisions with maybe 1 or 2 experienced players brought in and tried to build a really decent, young side with must getting some good game time under their belts?

Someone on here posted a team we could have used and it made me realise how many if our youth players have never been given a decent chance.

I think we would have got through the Third Division and League 1 but I think it would have taken at least 2 years in this Championship but in my opinion, I think it would have been worth it to get back into the SPL with healthy finances and a young, hungry team.

Maybe if the transfer embargo had been implemented immediately, instead of giving Ally the time to sign some real duds, maybe we would have gone the first year with mostly youth players. However, it's all water under the bridge now, and we've got more pressing matters to worry about just now..

I think when we were put down into the Third Division 2 years ago the main philosophy was to get back to the top tier as soon as possible and because of that, a lot of experienced SPL players were brought in across the transfer windows on wages which in my own opinion I don't think we should be spending.

A lot of this over-spending has resulted in our latest round of financial woes but if all continues steadily we should be back in the top tier this time next year but god only knows how the team will be playing and what the bank balance would be.

My question would be, knowing what we already know, would you have been in favour of just playing the youth in these divisions with maybe 1 or 2 experienced players brought in and tried to build a really decent, young side with must getting some good game time under their belts?

Someone on here posted a team we could have used and it made me realise how many if our youth players have never been given a decent chance.

I think we would have got through the Third Division and League 1 but I think it would have taken at least 2 years in this Championship but in my opinion, I think it would have been worth it to get back into the SPL with healthy finances and a young, hungry team.

A huge NO.. People bleating on about "youth" are deluded. Where exactly will this fanciful team come from when most youngsters are more interested in a Playstation than playing football. The majority of boys are moved on as they are not good enough and we keep the best already. We would turn ourselves into a mediocre team languishing in the arse end of Scottish football and everything that goes with it, small crowds, no real income streams including poor sponsorship deals and corporate investment.

Plus - did you forget we are Rangers - the greatest football club in the world, we don't fucking belong in these leagues and the quicker we are back at the top the better.

Single biggest mistake we made was McCostalot. Without him the overpaid 'friends of Ally' don't get a look in. Without him we don't get the other two stoogies on grossly inflated wages. Without him youth gets a chance. Without him we save lots of wasted transfer fees and salaries; Sandanza, S. Smith, Foster, Zaliukas, Simmonsen, Robinson........ too name just a few.

McCosalot has cost our club plenty including the fans no longer prepared to watch the dross on offer.

Oh and I was one of his biggest supporters for the first few seasons hoping he wasn't a bad manager but knowing in my heart of hearts that he was. Hoping against hope that he'd emulate his playing career at Rangers, slow start then going on to become a legend. That hasn't worked either.

Will be really happy if/when he leaves, but by then it could be too late.

We had one objective, to get back to the top tier as quickly as possible. Regardless of our circumstances, I do not believe the fans would have accepted anything else.

So there was no chance of introducing young players in a youthful set-up preparing for a future of Barcelona style football. (They would literally have been hammered by the more cynical experienced players in the lower leagues).

In hindsight that first lower league win will in the future be viewed as the most important, regardless of the way it was achieved, especially when you remember our resources when we started. However any failure in our three year climb back could cause potentially catastrophic failure to our finances, status and fan base. Reality is we are already seeing the consequences of some of this perceived failure in our fan base, and potentially finances.

It's been tough, and it will continue to be tough. Hopefully when we are back in the Premier we will be more secure board room and financially wise. However it will not become easy overnight. I think our loyalty and steadfastness will still be needed for a while yet, before the greater success comes again.

We had one objective, to get back to the top tier as quickly as possible. Regardless of our circumstances, I do not believe the fans would have accepted anything else.

So there was no chance of introducing young players in a youthful set-up preparing for a future of Barcelona style football. (They would literally have been hammered by the more cynical experienced players in the lower leagues).

In hindsight that first lower league win will in the future be viewed as the most important, regardless of the way it was achieved, especially when you remember our resources when we started. However any failure in our three year climb back could cause potentially catastrophic failure to our finances, status and fan base. Reality is we are already seeing the consequences of some of this perceived failure in our fan base, and potentially finances.

It's been tough, and it will continue to be tough. Hopefully when we are back in the Premier we will be more secure board room and financially wise. However it will not become easy overnight. I think our loyalty and steadfastness will still be needed for a while yet, before the greater success comes again.

Excellent last paragraph.

It was always going to end like this under Ally.

He is not in my opinion a motivator, and as far as I'm concerned DiD not have a clue how to put together a Team suitable for lower League football.

Having said that look at his Cup record, that's why he said he brought all these players in.

Look how that's turned out.

We have thrown money at it a'll our SPL players are on massive wages considering our state.

The coaching the money our Mwnagent and Boardroom staff are on is rrediculas too.

Our glorious Fangroups leaders haven't helped one bit ,and I honestly hold them responsible for this mess.

I know myself that the youth wasn't good enough to be winning week in, week out but from what I've seen from out youth (very little admittedly), I think we would have won 3rd and 2nd divisions at the first time of asking.

I think the notion that we are Rangers and we should be back at the top as soon as possible was the one which has cost us so much financially with very little return now in terms of future profit (buying so many players with the reality being we didn't really need half of them).

Ideally my team to start with , looking back would have been

Alexander

Hegarty , D Wilson , Jig , Wallace

Telfer , Hutton , Macleod

Little , Miller , Templeton

With maybe decent Cb and mid added for 2nd season , Boyd and 1 other added this year ...

Said miller and Wilson for first year as Kenny said he would have joined 2 years ago if was possible and Wilson probably would have came back

Oh well .... What might have been eh

I would have told the fans; that this year was all about a new beginning win or lose the league.

I would have invested in top drawer coaches and hot housed the youth.

I would have punted McCoist and his 2 pals, and put the job out to all to apply for.

Taken 1 or 2 more experienced players from division 1 and mostly went with youth.

The year after would see a stable and balance Rangers who would have played much better than now.

Then used the transfer windows wisely instead of buying anyone who had been in the SPL at sometime.

I would have told the fans; that this year was all about a new beginning win or lose the league.

I would have invested in top drawer coaches and hot housed the youth.

I would have punted McCoist and his 2 pals, and put the job out to all to apply for.

Taken 1 or 2 more experienced players from division 1 and mostly went with youth.

The year after would see a stable and balance Rangers who would have played much better than now.

Then used the transfer windows wisely instead of buying anyone who had been in the SPL at sometime.

Yeah, that's basically along the lines of what I would have preferred.

Let's get this straight. Two years ago we were facing fines, mismanagement, transfer embargoes, potential points and title deductions (and demands for all these to be with our agreement ffs) and a concerted effort by those in charge of Scottish football, the Scottish media and certain Scottish authorities to make to make it as difficult as possible to survive in our traditional guise.

At that stage it wasn't a case of how we progress, it was quite simply a case of how do we survive.

Two years on we are roughly where we want to be football wise, still reasonably optimistic I hope in spite of current boardroom and potential financial problems, and as a fanbase ambitious for the future.

What an achievement that is in itself.

Hopefully the next few years will see us back where most fans got used to being. In the meantime perhaps more fans should be looking at our recent achievements with pride rather than believe we have some kind of divine right to success.

The battle of two years ago is not over. So far we have held our ground against a massive attack.

The battle is not won yet, but the club and fans have proved it has the tradition and stamina to overcome the attack from thsoe who hate us.

I now hope the fans continue to show the combined belief and support they have provided in the past few years, and our present boardroom and financial problems are resolved.

Never, ever, ever underestimate what the club as a whole has achieved since those dark, dark days when imo, our enemies were so close to destroying us.

The time between being kicked out of the SPL and SFL3 should have been used as a vehicle to try and get the club out of Scottish football. I know all the different rules and arguments made against this but we should have at least tried if only to call the SFAs bluff.

If we had started some kind of talks with another league the SFA/SPL would have shat it and given the club more favourable terms. As it stood they had us over a barrel and they knew it.