Did it ever say, "Aye Ready"

nemisis

http://www.followfollow.com/sngl/ed23/ibrox_stadium_section/index.shtml

Picture below shows Edmiston Drive and Main Stand façade.

326457-4.jpg

The main façade on Edmiston Drive is in redbrick with art deco and neo-classical features. On each corner in blue and gold mosaic is the Club Crest with the motto "Aye Ready".

Beside this at either end is a set of wrought-iron gates in blue and white, which include the club name. The whole façade exudes prestige and power even to this day and has become a listed building such is its importance and position within the city of Glasgow.

This has been a question that rears its head every now and again, and no one ever seems to be able to supply a picture of the stand with "Aye Ready" on it.

I say it never was there.

I'm inclined to agree due to the lack of photographic evidence even though my memory tells me it was there.

There's also a few posts on this subject on Vanguard Bears tonight, here's one of the posts

I'd always thought it was Aye Ready that I remember seeing on the side of the Main Stand (East) - and my first game at Ibrox was way back on the 18/8/1965.

As others have mentioned earlier in this thread, Aye Ready was also the motto of the Fire Brigade and Ready Aye Ready of the Royal Canadian Navy.

Anyway way back in the early 2000s' before I'd discovered any Rangers forums, I asked around to see if anyone could tell me why it no longer says Aye Ready on the side of the stand - I was certain that was what it stated.

I was told that 'Aye Ready' was the motto of the Rangers Supporters Association, and that it was always just 'Ready' on the side of the stand.

It does appear indeed that 'Aye Ready' is the motto of the RSA as shown on post #63, however I was still certain that 'Aye Ready' was on the side of the stand.

In the early 2000s' I contact David Mason about this, and he also stated that it was always 'Ready' and never 'Aye Ready'. I still wasn't convinced so David got Campbell Ogilvie to check for me. Campbell Ogilvie tried searching through old paperwork to see if there was any record of work being done on the Main Stand to alter writing from 'Aye Ready' - however there was no record of this being done.

I know the memory plays tricks - I've plenty of personal evidence of that, especially after a few drinks but I'm still convinced that it did once say on the side of our Main Stand, 'Aye Ready' and as for there being no record of it at Ibrox!! - well reams and reams of paperwork have mysteriously (or otherwise) disappeared from Ibrox over the years.

The official Glasgow Rangers motto is "Ready", which evolved from "Aye Ready" (Always Ready in the Scottish dialect), before that "Ready, Aye Ready" and before that "Aye, Work Awa".

"Ready" was officially adopted as the motto in 1966 though "Aye, Ready" could still be seen for some time after that around Ibrox Park and other places.