Memories of Willie Johnson

I always enjoyed his play and he gave good value for money. An early memory is from a Old Firm League Cup Final in the mid-1960's when he was ferociously tackled in the first few minutes. No booking or sending off and he seemed to be injured for the rest of the game. He could cross a ball for days and I think he planted the ball on DJ's head for the winning goal in the 1970 League Cup Final. I don't have the stats on his career but he had a long one - if anyone can help me out here, I'd be grateful. If memory serves, he had two spells at Ibrox and returned from England around 1980. He was one of the first football players I ever saw smoke a fag and his team in England promoted themselves as non-smokers. An all-time Rangers great and I met him at a NARSA convention some years ago.

A couple from games v Celtic. Firstly sitting on the ball at Hampden in the LCF and secondly, whilst taking a throw-in in front of the jungle, he pretended to bounce the ball off Davie Provans head before throwing it off the shin of Alex Miller from 20 yards for a late winner.

May be doing a disservice to Alex "silky" Miller.

Wee bud was a great wee player in a era where Scotland produced some fantastic wingers,

When you think about it he scored the most important goal in our history which gives him bona fide legend status.

Although wee Bud gave us a lot more than that in his two spells, remember he was only seventeen when he broke into a first team that was packed with quality players. He had blinding pace, was a wonderful crosser and bagged some amount of goals for a winger.

As a kid in the east enclosure, he came on as a sub and stamped on the Aberdeen player and was sent off, was 2nd time around, think it was the league cup.

All I remember after that were all these wine bottles flying over my head. Could not have been on more than 10 minutes or something but was very young.

And Alex Millers winner at the piggery, 1st old firm game and in the dying seconds the way he put the ball next to Provan's head and then throws it to the edge if the box for Miller to smash home. Was down near were he was and the atmosphere as a young kid leaving that ground was better than Christmas

As a kid in the east enclosure, he came on as a sub and stamped on the Aberdeen player and was sent off, was 2nd time around, think it was the league cup.

All I remember after that were all these wine bottles flying over my head. Could not have been on more than 10 minutes or something but was very young.

And Alex Millers winner at the piggery, 1st old firm game and in the dying seconds the way he put the ball next to Provan's head and then throws it to the edge if the box for Miller to smash home. Was down near were he was and the atmosphere as a young kid leaving that ground was better than Christmas

Remember both games - John McMaster , I think was the Aberdeen player.

The one v c....c was my first victory there , and last for what seemed a lifetime until Fergie's goal. Provan was jumping up and down the touch line before Bud ' bounced ' the ball off his forehead before launching it to Miller for a fitting last minute winner.

Bud was my favourite player when I was younger and I wore my WBA shirt as tribute to him when he went to them .When Willie was on fire he was world class.1972,and 1977 would have to be his best years .Sadly he just seemed to get himself into trouble too often .

Remember both games - John McMaster , I think was the Aberdeen player.

The one v c....c was my first victory there , and last for what seemed a lifetime until Fergie's goal. Provan was jumping up and down the touch line before Bud ' bounced ' the ball off his forehead before launching it to Miller for a fitting last minute winner.

John McMaster it was. Govan stand was being built at the time so had to sit in the main stand, Colin McAdam scored in the first minute for the only goal in what was a ".tasty encounter"

I know what you mean mate .This was one special day after Gers hadn't won at the Piggery since 1976.Sadly I had to wait another 9 years before we had that feeling coming out of that ground again

I am sure he played against us for West Bromwich Albion in one of the late seventies pre-season Tenant Caledonian tounaments.

He won a league medal later with Whitecaps and I remember seeing a video of him going over for a corner and taking a swig from a trackside fan's beer can as a joke. He was that kind of character.

And I remember when I was stood on the old middle terrace and he did this against a team which contained 8 or 9 of the future world champions.

I always enjoyed his play and he gave good value for money. An early memory is from a Old Firm League Cup Final in the mid-1960's when he was ferociously tackled in the first few minutes. No booking or sending off and he seemed to be injured for the rest of the game. He could cross a ball for days and I think he planted the ball on DJ's head for the winning goal in the 1970 League Cup Final. I don't have the stats on his career but he had a long one - if anyone can help me out here, I'd be grateful. If memory serves, he had two spells at Ibrox and returned from England around 1980. He was one of the first football players I ever saw smoke a fag and his team in England promoted themselves as non-smokers. An all-time Rangers great and I met him at a NARSA convention some years ago.

Nope it was Wee Henderson who supplied the cross for DJ - but Bud sat on the ball near then end - I believe in modern times they would call that showboating.