How Do Chelsea Overcome Barcelona?

Not as retarded as someone who is trying to tell another poster what he was thinking last night….

So one team attacks for 90 minutes, and the other team sticks 10 men behind the ball and stifles the opposition for the full game.

It was Chelsea who were boring (tu)

So you were fully-stimulated by Chelsea two banks of 4, which gave Barcelona no space?

Fair enough.

I like to watch a game of football that offers everything. Great defending, good attacking play, counter attacks..goal line clearances…the lot! Last night had most of that and watching players who are more attack minded like Lampard, Ramires, Drogba ect defend and stay disciplined (well Drogba is a rule to himself) was enthralling imo.

Also the majority of people did not give Chelsea a chance in hell of keeping Barca out let alone winning the game so it had the underdog element which our UEFA run had in 2008.

Bored of all that?

Nah mate not me personally.

I personally don't have a problem with Drogba's diving, diving is part of the game now and barcelona for all their talent (which is huge) dive about all the time in the big matches (recent el -classico's spring to mind). All Chelsea were doing is leveling the playing field, it would be stupid as a team to let your opponents get an advantage by diving but not doing it yourself.

Your basically giving handicapping yourself before the game begins.

I would have thought his 7 goals in 6 games this season, away from home, would suggest he does it away from home in Europe. Apparently not though.

I didn't say he's performed badly away in Europe. I said I've seen nothin to suggest he could do it week in week out without his Barcelona buddies.

Chelsea didn't play keep-ball for half the game like Barca did, they were more direct in their attacking. If a team of such quality want to knock it around all night long then teams will happily sit back and let them.

Each to their own and keep your insults to yourself.

I personally don't have a problem with Drogba's diving, diving is part of the game now and barcelona for all their talent (which is huge) dive about all the time in the big matches (recent el -classico's spring to mind). All Chelsea were doing is leveling the playing field, it would be stupid as a team to let your opponents get an advantage by diving but not doing it yourself.

Your basically giving handicapping yourself before the game begins.

WWHAAAAA????

cmon man, i agree with you about levelling the playing field, i get the impression recently that madrid have had a bit of a "if your going to do it, so will we" mentality.

but the fact this goes on without FIFA/UEFA doings omething about it is a fucking embarassment to the sport.

its beyond a joke now, can you imagine Busquets, Drogba, Ashley Young or Ribery trying to do some shopping on Buchanan street on a saturday afternoon? You'd need the entire amulance services for greater glasgow on standby the amount of times someone would bump into them and send them writhing on the floor.

every single time a player is caught rolling around but replays show no contact at all, they should come down very eavy. 2 week wages as a fine & 3 match ban. that would soon stamp it out. When Lafferty done it to Mulgrew our club weren't slow in telling him that it wasn't behaviour befitting of a Ranger, UEFA - take note.

Chelsea didn't play keep-ball for half the game like Barca did, they were more direct in their attacking. If a team of such quality want to knock it around all night long then teams will happily sit back and let them.

Each to their own and keep your insults to yourself.

Barcelona had no option but to keep the ball. It happens when teams put every player behind the ball and defend for their lives.

WWHAAAAA????

cmon man, i agree with you about levelling the playing field, i get the impression recently that madrid have had a bit of a "if your going to do it, so will we" mentality.

but the fact this goes on without FIFA/UEFA doings omething about it is a fucking embarassment to the sport.

its beyond a joke now, can you imagine Busquets, Drogba, Ashley Young or Ribery trying to do some shopping on Buchanan street on a saturday afternoon? You'd need the entire amulance services for greater glasgow on standby the amount of times someone would bump into them and send them writhing on the floor.

every single time a player is caught rolling around but replays show no contact at all, they should come down very eavy. 2 week wages as a fine & 3 match ban. that would soon stamp it out. When Lafferty done it to Mulgrew our club weren't slow in telling him that it wasn't behaviour befitting of a Ranger, UEFA - take note.

You'd have to ban half the players in modern football.

This sort of idea might have been good to introduce 20 or 30 years ago but now it wouldn't do anything.

And to the people that said english players don't dive, I can think of 3 separate occasions when english players have dived on the world stage, Michael Owen being one of them.

Here is Gary Neville giving a masterclass on diving and I agree with alot of the points he makes, if you don't dive in this modern game you wont get anywhere and you are deluded if you think that there isn't a team with players who have never dived

if banning half of them is the solution then im all for it.

i think most would agree with me, its hurting the sport and needs to be cleaned up.

start throwing the book at people, time to clean it up. Very heavy bans & fines imo for anyone caught, it's time to come down hard on divers, its really getting out of hand.

Thats fine if the authorities are going to start doing that, but here in the real world people need to face up to the reality.

From kids at a young age, in most countries they are taught that diving/cheating/going down easy (whatever you want to call it) isn't cheating as per say, and is just seen as trying to gain an advantage for your team, you would need to completely change this at all levels.

Now whilst we wait for these wholesale changes to get brought in, on occasions like last night I think it's perfectly reasonable as part of their gameplan, to stall for more time and break up play. The diving between barca and madrid during that shame game was ten times worse and yet by the sound of it people are making out like Drogba has single-handedly brought shame upon all of football.

I know if that was rangers and we had been stalling, parking the bus and asking one of our players to take one for the team (by risking bookings ect. and his reputation) to help us win and we got through to the champ league final I would have no problem with it.

EDIT: just to make it clear, I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I'm letting my heart rule my head and Id rather chance it to win a champions league than to let the other team get us a bunch of yellow cards for nothing

Fact is, Messi made a vital mistake when playing Chelsea. He did exactly what Di Matteo wanted, by coming in front of the holding midfielders, therefore forcing himself deep to get the ball. Chelsea read him like a book.

Messi was ficking anonymous tonight.

Any time he got the ball he done fuck all with it.

He'd never make in any other league, or with any other team, IMO.

That is from the genius called Compton ...........

and you say i know nothing about football !

Give it up , your a complete tosser ............

First of all, its *you're*, you're grown man should know that.

And second, that's the most ironic thing I've ever seen posted on here, you act like a complete and utter child when someone disagrees with you.

Grow up and stop acting like a cunt you immature man-child.

And second, that's the most ironic thing I've ever seen posted on here, you act like a complete and utter child when someone disagrees with you.

You should know that the line in bold doesn't make sense :pipe:

Also, it should be *secondly

Is this guy also the Barcelona lover over on that other Rangers website? If he is then he follows Barcelona and cares about them far more than Rangers.

chelsea ruined it for the neutral, but it was the only way they could win the game even if they were lucky a number of times

disagree, i think when a team like barca spend so much time going sideways and backwards it ruins it for the neutral.

sure you could argue that chelsea could have pushed the back line up higher, but look where that got AVB. When they came up against a fast passing side like Arsenal they conceeded 5 goals.

Barceloan don't play as cautiously as that against lesser La Liga teams, sometime barca just seem terrified of losing possession, so much so they would rather play a safe, 5 yard pass sideways or backwards, then try a riskier through ball in the final 3rd.