Transfer activity summer 98/99

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Antti Niemi could definitely have given Klos, Woods and McGregor a run for their money in the pecking order for second / third / fourth best ever keeper at Rangers.

There's only one number one.

Don't anyone try and tell me he's Finnished.

12 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Hmmm. I'd hate to see when you were then. Yeah, OK, he wasn't world class. Tell us what he was though, rather than telling us what he wasn't. Let's be positive here.

Waterreus was not better than Klos. i'll give you that starter for 10, ya wee scamp.

:tu:

1 - Goram

2 - Klos

3 - Woods

versus

1 - Dibble

2 - Waterreus

3 - Myhre

I was about 12/13 and thought we'd just always spend and have players like that. Amazing times, just wish I appreciated a bit more. I mind cunts giving players like Kanchelskis a hard time for being shite... would rip current league to shreds

7 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

And while we are on the subject of keepers...

'member when Advocaat gave Antti Niemi to Hearts for 400 grand and then spent over four times that (£1.7m) on Jesper Christiansen?

:duh::duh:

To top it off, after barely getting a game with us, Christiansen went back to Denmark where he won Keeper of The Year a few times and was generally a solid keeper. Wouldn't have guessed that from his bomb scars performances with us. 

9 hours ago, Amato said:

Goalkeeper is the one position we can afford not to improve just now

Our keeper is average , no European experience and not up to the standard of a top class keeper ,

we need a strong spine to our team and that for me is not Wes , all about opinions we all know we have a complete overhaul required , 

18 minutes ago, boyd09 said:

Our keeper is average , no European experience and not up to the standard of a top class keeper ,

we need a strong spine to our team and that for me is not Wes , all about opinions we all know we have a complete overhaul required , 

I think he's decent and has had some top class saves this season. Assuming we will have very limited funds I'd much sooner see us spend on other areas

I remember watching Numan playing for Holland in the world cup  - he had already committed to coming to us as I recall - and I didnt think anything of the fact that a dutch international full back representing his team in the world cup, was coming to us.

52 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I remember watching Numan playing for Holland in the world cup  - he had already committed to coming to us as I recall - and I didnt think anything of the fact that a dutch international full back representing his team in the world cup, was coming to us.

It was what we expected at that stage , hard to believe that was the norm after the last 5 years , 

15 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Klosis 100% the best keeper I've seen in this country.

Never rated him that highly myself. Kicking was awful and I always had question marks about his command of area from cross balls. 

Goram for me. 

13 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

And while we are on the subject of keepers...

'member when Advocaat gave Antti Niemi to Hearts for 400 grand and then spent over four times that (£1.7m) on Jesper Christiansen?

:duh::duh:

Niemi was Finnish by then to be fair :craphead:

6 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Niemi was Finnish by then to be fair :craphead:

If you drag your mouse across the bottom of my post below, you will find you have won the mystery prize and a virtual pint. :cheers:

13 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

I reckon Antti Niemi could definitely have given Klos, Woods and McGregor a run for their money in the pecking order for second / third / fourth best ever keeper at Rangers.

There's only one number one.

Don't anyone try and tell me he's Finnished.

Never thought it would take so long. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, rangersmad86 said:

This photo was doing the rounds on one of the Facebook pages tonight and what a summer of activity it was! The good old days! 

If you could only take three for the current team who would you take? 

1. Arthur Numan - unbelievably solid full back who knew what it was to be a Ranger the moment he stepped through the door and was class on and off the pitch. 

2. GVB - I was young at the time but I remember him being absolutely effortless, technically brilliant, great eye for a pass and had a lethal strike on him. Went onto win the champions league. 

3. As much as it pains me to leave out Stefan Klos who the biggest compliment I could pay to him is that he's best we've had since Gorman, I'd have to go with Neil McCann for my third. Gave us some of our best moments including that final goal the day he skipped round the Keeper at the piggery when we won the league, goosebumps. Put the cross in for Lovenkrands in the cup final and just generally was a great little winger for us. Always wanted the ball and tried to make things happen is possession, didn't come to us as a Ranger but we certainly left our mark on him.

spghat.png

Who's Gorman?