Lee Wallace

ForeverAndEver

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Davie Weir is in our hall of fame. A Rangers legend.

He lifted 8 trophies with us, the same 8 trophies Whittaker lifted. If it comes down to appearances, there's only 12 between them.

If Whittaker hadn't left us in the way he did then he would absolutely have a case for being called a Rangers legend.

Winning trophies doesn't make you a legend but just staying at a club does?

Novo, Ricksen and Alfie Conn are also there, none are legends. McCulloch as well, had he been in his prime and stayed he'd be a legend. Weir's in it and again, isn't a legend.

Staying at a club when it's been shafted to the 3rd division of Scottish football, when so called Rangers men fuck off, at the age of 24 when he could easily have made it in the the English Championship.

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Novo, Ricksen and Alfie Conn are also there, none are legends. McCulloch as well, had he been in his prime and stayed he'd be a legend. Weir's in it and again, isn't a legend.

Staying at a club when it's been shafted to the 3rd division of Scottish football, when so called Rangers men fuck off, at the age of 24 when he could easily have made it in the the English Championship.

Nacho Novo, 6 trophies with Rangers and scorer of the penalty to take us to a European final. Not a legend.

Lee Wallace, won nothing of any significance with Rangers, stayed when he could have went to the 2nd tier of English football. Legend.

That's some logic.

6 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Nacho Novo, 6 trophies with Rangers and scorer of the penalty to take us to a European final. Not a legend.

Lee Wallace, won nothing of any significance with Rangers, stayed when he could have went to the 2nd tier of English football. Legend.

That's some logic.

X

Irrespective of whether or not hes considered a legend by the majority, he deserved a better farewell than what he got. We should have at least have had a statement wishing him well, ushering him out the back door is not befitting of a Rangers captain. 

Gerrard has been nothing but complimentary about LW since he joined, but it seems like the higher ups in Allen and the rest have a real issue with him which I can only assume stems from the Murty Hampden debacle. Legend or not he was a full time captain of the club and deserves to be remembered as such. 

Legend is a word totally over used. I don’t believe there is a list of attributes that make a legend. It’s not prescriptive. It’s not based on appearances alone, or trophies alone, or loyalty alone or relationship with fans alone or even hall of fame inclusion. 

The lack of a prescriptive list means it’s open to interpretation and debate. You can debate all day long about who qualifies as a legend. 

The litmus test for me is “will we still remember him fondly in 20 years?” Will we tell our kids and grandkids of their contribution to the Rangers cause? 

I think Lee Wallace will rate a special mention when the tales are told of “the journey”. Only time will tell

6 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Legend is a word totally over used. I don’t believe there is a list of attributes that make a legend. It’s not prescriptive. It’s not based on appearances alone, or trophies alone, or loyalty alone or relationship with fans alone or even hall of fame inclusion. 

The lack of a prescriptive list means it’s open to interpretation and debate. You can debate all day long about who qualifies as a legend. 

The litmus test for me is “will we still remember him fondly in 20 years?” Will we tell our kids and grandkids of their contribution to the Rangers cause? 

I think Lee Wallace will rate a special mention when the tales are told of “the journey”. Only time will tell

You should work for Hallmark mate

We should love him as much for staying as much as we hate the ones who abandoned us. A different kind of legend. It is just such a pity the dream of him going down with us and taking us back to the title never materialised. 

It boggles the mind why people can’t seem to grasp that you can be considered a legend for different reasons than another.

That, or they’re just determined to knock Lee Wallace any opportunity they get out of some sort of misplaced sense of bitterness having been spoiled by the 90s.

Lee Wallace is a legend.

1 minute ago, Essandoh said:

It boggles the mind why people can’t seem to grasp that you can be considered a legend for different reasons than another.

That, or they’re just determined to knock Lee Wallace any opportunity they get out of some sort of misplaced sense of bitterness having been spoiled by the 90s.

Lee Wallace is a legend.

Other than management, Struth, Walter Smith are legends, I have never heard the word legend been used for a footballer other than their talents.  So for that reason Lee Wallace is not a legend. It has become a very loose term. The word legend are for the likes of Baxter, Grieg, Laudrup, McCoist......

9 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Other than management, Struth, Walter Smith are legends, I have never heard the word legend been used for a footballer other than their talents.  So for that reason Lee Wallace is not a legend. It has become a very loose term. The word legend are for the likes of Baxter, Grieg, Laudrup, McCoist......

The circumstances surrounding Lee Wallace’s tenure at Rangers were extraordinary and cast a light on more than just his abilities on the pitch. To pretend otherwise is to ignore the impact and reality of the last 7 years.

You cannot deny that for a second.

14 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Lee Wallace is a legend.

For me legends at Rangers are winners. That’s what sets us apart from diddy clubs; an absolute ferocious desire to win at all levels - from fans, to the kit man to your centre forward.

Wallace wasn’t that, and while I wholeheartedly thank him for his contribution - he’s not a legend in my eyes.  Part of an extremely embarrassing, demoralising and disastrous spell for our club. Which we’re still not out of.

I’d argue his book will more interesting than any of the others...should he wish to divulge what shenanigans were going on.

Arguing about whether or not he’s a legend is futile, unless you define the criteria by which that status is measured.

9 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

For me legends at Rangers are winners. That’s what sets us apart from diddy clubs; an absolute ferocious desire to win at all levels - from fans, to the kit man to your centre forward.

Wallace wasn’t that, and while I wholeheartedly thank him for his contribution - he’s not a legend in my eyes.  Part of an extremely embarrassing, demoralising and disastrous spell for our club. Which we’re still not out of.

And unlike the pricks that left he tried to help us through it, and played his part on our way back.

5 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

And unlike the pricks that left he tried to help us through it, and played his part on our way back.

I think he is a quality person and decent player and I will always remember him fondly.

Archived