Pena

Vision

19 hours ago, MrMckee said:

I very much doubt he is an alcoholic. There is no way he wakes up with the shakes and has a pysical dependancy. He's just a footballer that likes to party at the weekends and probably have a couple beers in the week like most people. I'm sure people on here drink much much more then pena and they or other people wouldn't class themselves as alcoholics. He's obviously using his 'drink problem' to get out of putting much effort into his career with us in exchange to being paid handsomely. 

I'm an alcoholic, have been for a long time, but seeing some at aa meetings you would never know. It's more than just being off your face all the time. 

I recon its a load of balls that hes an alky, just an excuse. Most of us will know what a fucking alky looks and acts like, even those that appear to function normally.

Plus you can still be a decent footballer and a piss head at the same time. Granted gone are the days that you can get away with it and its part of club mentality but he still played shite, therefore sober or pissed hes a shite footballer.

6 minutes ago, mclovin9091 said:

I recon its a load of balls that hes an alky, just an excuse. Most of us will know what a fucking alky looks and acts like, even those that appear to function normally.

Plus you can still be a decent footballer and a piss head at the same time. Granted gone are the days that you can get away with it and its part of club mentality but he still played shite, therefore sober or pissed hes a shite footballer.

You're a right clever cunt are you not. Take it you can spot an alcoholic from a Mile away?

3 hours ago, BigJack1690 said:

Gerrard wont have him anywhere near the squad.

Has to go when he returns.

I think we will loan him out and make sure he sticks to his rehab programme.  Pena has taken a wrong turn but if anyone can help him believe in himself then it's Gerrard. 

As much as I hate slagging off one of our players.. he just ain't good enough to offer anything to our squad , now that we have strengthened our midfield  again with SD.

Cut him loose at the earliest opportunity.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, mclovin9091 said:

First sentence is a complete contradiction to the rest of your post. 

I'd say you've got a problem with drink if the one thing you've worked your life for takes a back seat to it. 

10 hours ago, Rum Ham said:

First sentence is a complete contradiction to the rest of your post. 

I'd say you've got a problem with drink if the one thing you've worked your life for takes a back seat to it. 

How does it? The 1st is about alcoholics and the 2nd is about enjoying the drink too much at times.

Look at Gazza, (and TBF most of the team in the 90s) piss head while playing football and at the time having a bevvy after the game was normal.

Yes years down the line that has lead to him still having a drinking problem no doubt made worse by giving up football and having more time to drink.

Since the 90s things have moved on and drinking is no longer part of the game. For the better.

I agree that if the drink takes over you have a problem but I don't see Pena having that problem. He likes a drink and doesn't know when to stop, not gets up every morning hungover and starts drinking again or gets nervous in situations and "has a drink" to calm his nerves.

On another note, all players should have wages docked while under treatment (for everything, maybe) due to not fulfilling thier contractual obligations. I.e. they aren't training fully or actually playing football matches.

This would increase motivation to get back to fitness and be available to be selected for the team. With incremental rises in wage from the "injured" wage to fully fit "normal" wage.