Now Kent is here, is this our strongest lineup?

born a blue nose

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given what has been spent on transfers and what the wage bill is i don’t think we could be doing much better squad wise than what we are ,Ojo is obviously the weakest by a fair bit at least he’s only on loan ,when he was banging in goals earlier in the season he did still lack a physical side to his game ,that part has improved in the last month or so ,so maybe if he can get a bit of sharpness back we will have a far more dependable option on the right 

For me our strongest 11 is dependant on where we play and who it’s against ,We have a great depth to our squad and have 16 to 18 players who can make up a best 11 ,

How often have we saw a good performance and result such as Thursday ,one or 2 get rested and a replacement comes in who is equally affective as the player that was in the team the previous game ,

On 08/09/2019 at 10:38, born a blue nose said:

Would like to see Arfield back through the middle, and Borna given another chance, with Kent cutting inside it will open up space for the overlap. 

Ojo needs to step up sharpish too.

2019-09-08 10.34.12.png

No!

That isnt the formation we play and Arfield has never been used out wide to  "see him back through the middle".

Yesterday we lined up with Kent and Arfield behing Morelos and although they have the freedom to go out wide, they are not playing as wide midfielders.

These are 6 separate attacks yesterday and look at the position of Kent and Arfield, but Arfield in particular...

Arfield.thumb.jpg.e71d09cabf782e9a9e6f07ebd9a2d151.jpg

4 are from the first half and 2 from the second half and have been taken from the highlights clip on the SPFL Youtube.

If you go an watch those clips back and keep in mind the positions above, at no point is Scott Arfield playing out wide, he is almost always in a central position.

The bottom right image show him on the left hand side of the box but he actually makes an overlapping run around Barasic from the middle of the pitch into the left hand side, who then gives to Arfield and Arfield lays it back to Barasic when he nearly scores.

Kent ends up being in wider positions more often than Arfield but its clear to see that both of our attacking midfielders play behind the striker, not out wide, especially when it is Kent and Arfield.

Your line up also leaves out a player who has been arguably our best midfielder this season in Davis!

On 08/09/2019 at 18:38, born a blue nose said:

I would say jack too, hense the reason he's in. 

I feel arfield and aribo are our 2 other most attacking midfielders and dont think we need 2 defensive minded midfielders against any other team in Scotland 

If we play a combination of Davis, Kamara, Jack, Aribo or Arfield...which are the 2 defensive minded midfielders?

Although Jack and Kamara are perhaps known as being more defensive if you actually look at their positioning and how they impact our play, they are not defensive midfielders.

More often than not, when Jack and Davis play, its Davis that is the furthest back of them all but even then, his style of play and range of passing doesnt make him a defensive midfielder!

The CMs need to be wary of the fullbacks bombing forward and if you watch the midfield, especially Ryan Jack, he is brilliant at covering the right side of the pitch whenever Tav bombs forward but again they are given freedom to move around as when Livingstone attacked yesterday, Kamara and Jack were usually the deepest midfielders but they werent playing as a defensive midfielder in my book!

3 minutes ago, Del said:

If we play a combination of Davis, Kamara, Jack, Aribo or Arfield...which are the 2 defensive minded midfielders?

Although Jack and Kamara are perhaps known as being more defensive if you actually look at their positioning and how they impact our play, they are not defensive midfielders.

More often than not, when Jack and Davis play, its Davis that is the furthest back of them all but even then, his style of play and range of passing doesnt make him a defensive midfielder!

The CMs need to be wary of the fullbacks bombing forward and if you watch the midfield, especially Ryan Jack, he is brilliant at covering the right side of the pitch whenever Tav bombs forward but again they are given freedom to move around as when Livingstone attacked yesterday, Kamara and Jack were usually the deepest midfielders but they werent playing as a defensive midfielder in my book!

You are making a lot of sense today 🙂 Good posts.

1 hour ago, Del said:

No!

That isnt the formation we play and Arfield has never been used out wide to  "see him back through the middle".

Yesterday we lined up with Kent and Arfield behing Morelos and although they have the freedom to go out wide, they are not playing as wide midfielders.

These are 6 separate attacks yesterday and look at the position of Kent and Arfield, but Arfield in particular...

Arfield.thumb.jpg.e71d09cabf782e9a9e6f07ebd9a2d151.jpg

4 are from the first half and 2 from the second half and have been taken from the highlights clip on the SPFL Youtube.

If you go an watch those clips back and keep in mind the positions above, at no point is Scott Arfield playing out wide, he is almost always in a central position.

The bottom right image show him on the left hand side of the box but he actually makes an overlapping run around Barasic from the middle of the pitch into the left hand side, who then gives to Arfield and Arfield lays it back to Barasic when he nearly scores.

Kent ends up being in wider positions more often than Arfield but its clear to see that both of our attacking midfielders play behind the striker, not out wide, especially when it is Kent and Arfield.

Your line up also leaves out a player who has been arguably our best midfielder this season in Davis!

Enjoy yer night mate

I'd like to see us at least try out this formation! It solves the right of the 3 problem! 

Mcgregor

Goldson         Katic              Helander

Tav.                Davis.              Aribo.            Barisic

Kent

Defoe.                        Morelos

4 minutes ago, gersfc86 said:

I'd like to see us at least try out this formation! It solves the right of the 3 problem! 

Mcgregor

Goldson         Katic              Helander

Tav.                Davis.              Aribo.            Barisic

Kent

Defoe.                        Morelos

That is a terrible formation and team selection

It's obvious to see that right wing is the only position up for debate (as well as Kamara/Aribo in MF). For all the wingers we signed this year, none are really that inspiring. ( Stewart in spurts). I know people love Jones but he got slated on here until he crossed to Morelos for a last minute winner. Out of all of them, he has the most potential I guess.... That is why I suggested that an experienced player like Murphy shouldn't be out of the question. He is fit, just needs games but Gerrard doesn't see him as an option. Maybe we buy another forward in January. And we would truly be fucked if Buff got injured.

Archived