Gerrard : Post Match Reaction

Virtuoso

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Virtuoso said:

On another day they could get lucky and it's two points dropped.

We seriously lack the ability to kill off far lesser teams, especially in games where we dominate.

Not really disagreeing with you mate, but it's never been easy. Even through the 9 in a row years, there were plenty forgotten 1-0 games.

2 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Isn’t that what he said though? He done well in his cameo?  So what’s to get annoyed about?  He did so well in his cameo. 

I'm not annoyed at Gerrard it's his job to try and encourage his players, it's the couple of posters saying he done well when he came on, fair enough, though I thought he was just Ok, it wouldn't have been hard to look OK out there tonight going by the team performance, if he could do that for 80/90 minutes then I'd be delighted to give him praise, unfortunately for me when I hear the phrase "Ono's getting ready to come on" my heart sinks.

6 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I'm not annoyed at Gerrard it's his job to try and encourage his players, it's the couple of posters saying he done well when he came on, fair enough, though I thought he was just Ok, it wouldn't have been hard to look OK out there tonight going by the team performance, if he could do that for 80/90 minutes then I'd be delighted to give him praise, unfortunately for me when I hear the phrase "Ono's getting ready to come on" my heart sinks.

So what your saying is he should only be praised if hes good for 80/90 mins ? That the same for all players?

8 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

To be fair Ojo did alright when he came on.  Don't think anyone is getting carried away.  

"That's the best he's been in a while" was a fair comment from the gaffer.

Sadly that observation simply equates to better than pure shite. 

3 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

So what your saying is he should only be praised if hes good for 80/90 mins ? That the same for all players?

No what I'm saying is if he could play well consistently then he'd deserve praise, not for a 10minute cameo, but he's got a long way to go before that's going to happen.

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

No what I'm saying is if he could play well consistently then he'd deserve praise, not for a 10minute cameo, but he's got a long way to go before that's going to happen.

So if a player is subbed on for 10 mins and does well they shouldn't be praised because it's only 10 mins ? 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

So if a player is subbed on for 10 mins and does well they shouldn't be praised because it's only 10 mins ? 

Aw FFS we're talking about Ojo here and you know it, stop trying to make it something it's not, it's not the 10 minute cameo I'm talking about it's his contribution over the season.

I'm with @slimjim1690 on this one. What exactly did Ojo do? He earned a free-kick because he tried to do a Jones and run through the defender. He tried his patent curve the ball inside the post. It was only close because the defender deflected it.  Granted, he looked a little lively but hardly anything to get overly thrilled about.

I normally think Gerrard's post-match comments are spot on. Tonight, I thought he sounded a bit desperate.

4 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

Aw FFS we're talking about Ojo here and you know it, stop trying to make it something it's not, it's not the 10 minute cameo I'm talking about it's his contribution over the season.

But hes not getting praised for his season , hes being praised for a 10 min cameo ? To suggest you dont praise somebody for doing good because most of the time their shite is stupid 

But hes not getting praised for his season , hes being praised for a 10 min cameo ? To suggest you dont praise somebody for doing good because most of the time their shite is stupid 

I think Gerrard is clutching at straws here, but hey ho you have your opinion and I have mine.

Gerrard also praised the 'back five' when they had fuck all to do all night. Ojo has been so bad for months that he is actually getting praised for showing a little more effort than usual. Hardly David Fairclough material - for the older bears 😉

I get it was a little nervy, not very pleasing on the eye and ultimately Gerrard is trying to talk up the team, especially with such a huge game coming up on Sunday. We're on an amazing run and it's difficult to be over critical. At this stage it's all about points. I understand fans having concerns but I actually think Gerrard does have a point about the defence in general.

We've had 5 clean sheets in our last 6 games and whilst it doesn't look like we've had a lot to do defensively part of that is down to us being more proactive, being positioned better, being more organised, defending from the front, making better decisions, knowing when to press, when to sit, when to play, when to clear, winning first balls, second balls.  Of course we still make individual errors but who doesn't. I have no stats to back it up but over the last 6 games or so (probably longer albeit possibly inconsistently) it seems we are not getting cut open and we're not letting the opposition get many (if any) shots on target. That's a massive improvement.

We have the best defensive record in the league. It's a bit of a cliche but more often than not the team with the best defensive record wins the league. I will definitely be clinging on to that!

1 hour ago, slimjim1690 said:

I understand that he's trying to encourage him but FFS Ono did Ok for 10mins  and no more and is getting praised, FFS 10 mins in a season lets not get carried away, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one who doesn't get the hype of Aribo, granted he is playing out of position but even when he was playing in midfield I didn't see it either.

Ojo was good the short spell he was on - he can do no more - SG sees him everyday and perhaps understands as a manager that he needed a 'pat on the back'.    if you seriously don't see a player n Aribo - perhaps you'd be better watching ice hockey.   Boys only 23 and has moved from Charlton to the pressure of playing for Rangers and is improving every game.  

Archived