Journalists - are there any serious ones left?

dummiesoot

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks for backing that up with your link with reiterates my original point. A reporter is a specific role within journalism.

You are very welcome.

I thought it was helpful in order for your “a reporter IS a journalist” to be clarified into “a reporter is a specific role in journalism”

Kind of like the guy who cleans the toilet is a specific role in Facilities Management. 

1 minute ago, Bakbear said:

You are very welcome.

I thought it was helpful in order for your “a reporter IS a journalist” to be clarified into “a reporter is a specific role in journalism”

Kind of like the guy who cleans the toilet is a specific role in Facilities Management. 

A defender is a footballer, a paediatrician is a doctor etc.

31 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

I think people are also underestimating the hatred for Rangers. 

if Alfredo played for celtic he wouldn’t get any of the shit he is getting as a Rangers player. I firmly believe this. We seem to spend a lot of time pointing the finger of xenophobia but the truth is he is hated because he is good and he plays for us. 

Reporters, like referees, are shit. Just more shit when it comes to Rangers. 

That’s the way I see it as well.

12 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Yes, but reporters no longer report the facts, but make up shite as the facts.

That's gone on as long as journalism has existed sadly.

It doesn't help that everyone feels like they need to have an entrenched position so will spin everything to suit.

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks for backing that up with your link with reiterates my original point. A reporter is a specific role within journalism.

Serious question:  do you think the standard of the football writers in this country is comparable or poorer than our european counterparts as per @Rfc52's earlier post ?

53 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A reporter IS a journalist. No matter which way you want to spin it.

TRIGGERED

Anyone who covers a football game is never in a million years a Bonafide Journalist ...... you are delusional if you think you are in the same league as proper Journalists ... who write intelligent in depth stories that convey important messages that may affect a persons life in many ways ..... often under serious stress depending on the location of the event to be covered .... a war zone is probably a decent description of this type of event.

A reporter is the one to send out and gather information that may ... or may not ... assist the Journalist to collate his story .... he may even get a wee mention to salve his ego.

A football reporter is someone sent to a football match to specifically cover the game and report back the information of that particular match ......... not the most difficult of jobs .... as the game itself is what is the important factor here ... not the actual reporter ..... is it becoming clear to you yet ..... the huge difference in roles played by each ?

A football reporter .... is a part time job ..... covering a simple specific task .... a  localised football match.

Whilst being a proper Journalist ..... is a proper full time profession ..... covering important .... diverse and intricate detailed factual copy for publication .... often getting to world wide audiences.

🇬🇧

Just now, Gascoigne8 said:

Serious question:  do you think the standard of the football writers in this country is comparable or poorer than our european counterparts as per @Rfc52's earlier post ?

I've only really read the English and American football media in recent years so can only fairly comment on that. The best stuff is night and day. Anyone good in Scotland eventually goes to England - or elsewhere, which tells its own story for me.

That said, England has just as big an element of the 'gutter press' as up here. Some of the stuff I've read has been particularly spiteful (the Raheem Sterling stuff was shocking at times) and it sometimes feels that the whole industry is in a race to the bottom in the desperate search for clicks.

What doesn't help though, is that the stuff we all hate is the stuff that drives clicks which means its the stuff which generates revenue for papers online etc. I try as much as I can to steer clear of having to write about off-field stuff when I can because, ultimately I do this because I love writing about football and talking about football and being luck enough to go to games and then get to speak to the managers and players immediately after it but if that stuff doesn't get people reading the site then I need to look at writing stuff that does.

And by fuck, people love a controversial headline.

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

TRIGGERED

Anyone who covers a football game is never in a million years a Bonafide Journalist ...... you are delusional if you think you are in the same league as proper Journalists ... who write intelligent in depth stories that convey important messages that may affect a persons life in many ways ..... often under serious stress depending on the location of the event to be covered .... a war zone is probably a decent description of this type of event.

A reporter is the one to send out and gather information that may ... or may not ... assist the Journalist to collate his story .... he may even get a wee mention to salve his ego.

A football reporter is someone sent to a football match to specifically cover the game and report back the information of that particular match ......... not the most difficult of jobs .... as the game itself is what is the important factor here ... not the actual reporter ..... is it becoming clear to you yet ..... the huge difference in roles played by each ?

A football reporter .... is a part time job ..... covering a simple specific task .... a  localised football match.

Whilst being a proper Journalist ..... is a proper full time profession ..... covering important .... diverse and intricate detailed factual copy for publication .... often getting to world wide audiences.

🇬🇧

It appears you are triggered judging by the wild use of bold, capitalisation and out-of-place ellipsis.

Many of the reporters who cover games on Saturdays, like myself, also work throughout the week on a wide range of stories and not just covering games.

If my job only consisted of going to games on a Saturday and in midweek it would be the best job in the world.

Instead, I also spend my week interviewing people for upcoming stories, attending and reporting on press conferences with a variety of clubs, players and managers, researching individuals, events and past interviews for background knowledge on interviewees, preparing questions for pressers, coming up with 'evergreen' content, producing and recording audio and video content and also reporting the every day bits of news that go on around Rangers and wider Scottish football.

While there's no sports journalist or football journalist whose work carries the same gravitas as, say, a war correspondent, one is no more journalism than the other.

The writing skills leave a lot to be desired not to mention the obvious bias. Doesn't say much for the editors either. 

I see there is no mention of our statement in The record or The Sun yet the taigs statement last week couldn't get printed fast enough.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It appears you are triggered judging by the wild use of bold, capitalisation and out-of-place ellipsis.

Many of the reporters who cover games on Saturdays, like myself, also work throughout the week on a wide range of stories and not just covering games.

If my job only consisted of going to games on a Saturday and in midweek it would be the best job in the world.

Instead, I also spend my week interviewing people for upcoming stories, attending and reporting on press conferences with a variety of clubs, players and managers, researching individuals, events and past interviews for background knowledge on interviewees, preparing questions for pressers, coming up with 'evergreen' content, producing and recording audio and video content and also reporting the every day bits of news that go on around Rangers and wider Scottish football.

While there's no sports reporter or football reporter whose work carries the same gravitas as, say, a war correspondent, one is no more journalism than the other.

:lol: ...... FFS ........................... Really?

....... So you're really just  a jack of all trades  ..... not really a Journalist after all ..... just pretending to be one eh? ......

As for your last  ........ edited ...... sentence ...... are you actually being serious? .... as said previously ... you are delusional ....  if you for one moment actually believe that to be true ...... it reminds me of  Dad's Army ...being told they were as important as the troops on the frontline .....  it was laughable as a comedy .... but when you seriously attempt to imply to be on an equal footing with a war correspondent .... it just highlights how miniscule your grip on reality really is.

It also reminds me of the Lennon song .... "Imagine" .....  great as a song  .... but in reality ....  that is all it is.

🇬🇧

2 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Here’s a journo cunt

Should someone not be telling Speirs that he is the desperate one if he genuinely believes the racism Alfredo received came from the mouth of a 12yr old boy...once again it's a cheap shot at our club in the middle of a very serious issue 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

:lol: ...... FFS ........................... Really?

....... So you're really just  a jack of all trades  ..... not really a Journalist after all ..... just pretending to be one eh? ......

As for your last  ........ edited ...... sentence ...... are you actually being serious? .... as said previously ... you are delusional ....  if you for one moment actually believe that to be true ...... it reminds me of  Dad's Army ...being told they were as important as the troops on the frontline .....  it was laughable as a comedy .... but when you seriously attempt to imply to be on an equal footing with a war correspondent .... it just highlights how miniscule your grip on reality really is.

It also reminds me of the Lennon song .... "Imagine" ..... as that is all it is.

🇬🇧

If I'm paid a salary to 'pretend' to be one, doesn't that actually just make me one?

Nowhere do I imply that. It seems your grip on the English language is far weaker than mine on reality.

5 hours ago, Bakbear said:

I think people are also underestimating the hatred for Rangers. 

if Alfredo played for celtic he wouldn’t get any of the shit he is getting as a Rangers player. I firmly believe this. We seem to spend a lot of time pointing the finger of xenophobia but the truth is he is hated because he is good and he plays for us. 

Reporters, like referees, are shit. Just more shit when it comes to Rangers. 

The clear difference in tone of reporting between Morelos and French Eddy should tell people all they need to know.

Morelos has actually outscored Eduoard this season and yet all we see written about Edouard is talk about how good he is, how he could play in any league in the world and how teams like Man Utd are going to come for him.

Compare it to how the press report on Morelos and how they report on what his potential career prospects in the future are and the agenda should be clear to anybody with any sense.

They're as tribal as any ordinary supporter and there lies the problem. But it's not the only problem, we're universally hated in this country, but they have a voice to speak to everyone in Scotland online in print etc. They are playing up to their audience, us because we're obviously outraged at the bias and impartiality so they get the clicks/hits because the bias is shared around websites, and everyone else in Scotland because they just love to see big bad Rangers get demonised win win for the scum.

4 hours ago, Gman36 said:

It really saddens me the way Morelos is being treated.

If he played for sellik and was subject to the kind of abuse he's faced I would be embarrassed by it and would hate it if fellow fans were acting in such a way. 

Not read through the whole thread yet, but this for me is a key point. Standards on how we treat people, I too would be embarrassed at such shoddy treatment of anyone . Closest it got as far as I am concerned was in an English paper and the treatment of Graham Taylor .

No dignity or respect, it is a farce and a poor reflection on a once great country.

We have a lot of ex-football players voicing off thier opinions and these are treated as valid, when often they are grinding on an old grievance. The jouralists we do have (properly trained in the profession) are of poor quality, often giving opinion pieces and present them as news stories. The facts, truths are ignored or twitted to fit the bile that is being presented. The stories cater for a low brow readership devoid of objectivity. For a long time being anti-Rangers as paid good money for these people, so pour your poision at a football club you don't like and get paid for it is a win/win for these people. Rangers are a Aunt Sally and they will keep hitting it untill they are pulled for it. They exaggerate and dramatise and leave the truth behind. With each dramatic story they take it one step further in the fantasy that all things Rangers is bad and needs punished. They are now at the point where they are trying to normalise xenophobia and racism because it is a Rangers player. They are third rate humans never mind third rate journalists.

Archived