Central Midfield

NorthernLights

There’s no driving force at all in the midfield. Jack at his best is different but Davis, Kamara and Arfield are so one-paced. Can’t believe, considering the player Gerrard was, that he’s happy having so many sideways passers who just slow the game down. Desperately need something different in there. If play isn’t going through the wide players then we badly need a plan B. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack is no where near the player he was in Nov/Dec, Arfield is decent but not great, Kamara has fell off a cliff, Hagi is being asked to play too wide and I'm really not sure what Davis offers anymore other than a steady head.

So you are right OP, it is a concern.

Us and a central midfield is a contradiction n terms.

One paced ponderous negative shite every game.

We need back to mid, mid to front in a sweeping move. Vision, creaivity, cutting egde. Outwith Hagi, there is nothing there, but heh let's just stick him on the wing, that'll work.

We need players constantly moving making space. One touch pass and move.get the ball back to front with minimal touches.

I can always dream of course.

Absolutely bonkers watching how well Greg Docherty is doing at Hibs while we struggle for that tyoe of driving force, he's got everything we're lacking in the middle, pace, power, energy and leadership.

I think the rumours doing the rounds were his touch and control weren't as good as those in front of him and that's why he's not been in, fair enough for Europe and the tims but against the rest in Scotland he would've been able to do what he's good at and use his attributes to our advantage, his touch/control may have actually improved if he got a run in the team.

3 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Absolutely bonkers watching how well Greg Docherty is doing at Hibs while we struggle for that tyoe of driving force, he's got everything we're lacking in the middle, pace, power, energy and leadership.

I think the rumours doing the rounds were his touch and control weren't as good as those in front of him and that's why he's not been in, fair enough for Europe and the tims but against the rest in Scotland he would've been able to do what he's good at and use his attributes to our advantage, his touch/control may have actually improved if he got a run in the team.

Really? When Arfield has the worst touch in Scotland! 

Blue eyes go a long way.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

Arfield, Kamara and Davis can all go for me in Summer.

A new CDM ( preferably a big hard bastard) Jack and a proper playmaker brought in.One who can dictate a game.

Hagi as Cam.

Would really like to see McCrorie given a run at CDM when he comes back in the summer. 

I think in the central area we have a lot of similar players, we are strong in that department but a little too defensive. We need a proper creative playmaker.

I agree about Hagi being too wide, he looks like he could be the creative spark we need in the middle as he can clearly see a positive pass. The other guys are strong but it's just not happening ATM.

5 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Would really like to see McCrorie given a run at CDM when he comes back in the summer. 

McCrorie is not a midfielder, defensive or not.. Gerrard fucked it by making everyone believe he is. 

He is probably going to etch a decent career somewhere as a right back. 

We go on about defensive mistakes rightly, but it’s midfield that I think all our problems come from.  We don’t create enough going  forward as we tend to play safe passes back or sideways even when a quick first time pass is on (something Boyd mentioned pre match), we also  lack pace and drive in middle. .  We don’t win tackles enough to dominate the oppositions midfield and the amount of 2nd balls we lose in midfield when our defence head/clear it into middle is criminal.  Our midfield since break are never on the front foot and look timid and lack a leader.  I think Docherty could replace what Arfield give us, but not sure we have anyone that could drive a team like a Barry Ferguson, or dominate and tackle like a Stuart McCall. 

4 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

He's 100% a midfielder. 

Based on what mate - because Gerrard says so? because he a great passer of the ball? (not) He has played defence his whole young career - at Rangers youth, Scotland U21 and now right back at Portsmouth.

I'll tell you what, if we had invested the last two years keeping him at centre-half and teaching him the way we have with Niko then he would be far ahead of Katic right now. I want nothing more than to see this kid succeed.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

Arfield and Aribo both try and break past the midfield but Aribo is still inconsistent and Arfield is in his 30’s now. 

Apart from them all of our midfielders are too slow, ponderous and safe in possession.

Doesny help that Aribo is shifted to the '10' role and now fucking left back :lol: 

Arfield has never been good.  His performances have been massively exaggerated. 

Slow as a week in jail, awful touch, crap passer and has no peripheral vision.  He frustrates the f.uck out of me. 

Him and Davis HAVE to go in the summer.

As for people suggesting McCrorie - Jesus christ. Another with awful touch, vision  and who can't pass water.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

You do realize Murty was the one who moved him to midfield? 

I don't remember that but I remember Gerrard saying he is not a centre-half. My opinion is he has the heart but not the skill or football brain to be a top, reliable midfielder.

Our midfield needs a rebuild in the summer. However this is not a new issue. We all said the same thing last summer. 

We only added aribo there in the summer.

We need two forward thinking players. Comfortable on the ball, able to get up the pitch quickly and pick a pass.  

Right now it's slow play and sideways passing. Not good enough 

Nobody appears to grasp the central theme of Scottish football - every touch you take allows a defender to get back and make a harder obstacle for you to pass.

We constantly moan about ‘10 men behind the ball’, but we take so long to move forward that anybody would be seriously derelict in their duty if they failed to get 10 back in the time we allow them.

Even when we got a 4 on 3 break from a corner at 2-2 today, Kent ran it into the first blue shirt that got in his way.

I thought after last season that Arfield was an important player for us but this season he has disappointed, goals apart.  Davis likewise, really disappointed with him.  Ryan Jack needs another decent player beside him to bring out the best in him and Hagi looks to have great potential. So yes, we probably need one, maybe two, significant players in midfield who can influence a game.

Archived