The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Amato said:

I don't think they could realistically claim they had won the title this year if that was to happen. Would be farcical.

Will be interesting to see if this is in line with what other countries do.

Chile done it four months ago after protests over something or other forced the league to get cancelled. Games played to that point was the final standings. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And again, that same rule also comes under the boards discretion. They won't void the season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Premiership was played to the split and called at 33 games each. Although, as of yesterday there had been absolutely no talks with clubs and the SFA/SPFL over cancelling games. 

Re your final sentence, this is a fast moving crisis and the confirmation that a Juventus player is now infected moves the issue on again. Even by their own poor standards, a failure to have discussed a contingency plan suggests gross incompetence and a dereliction of duty. Or “business as usual” as it is also known.

As for not voiding the season, I can tell you that if Hearts, now four points adrift, are told in March that they are going down and are to be denied the right to fight for survival, they will be in the Court of Session faster than you say “interim interdict”

The only fair and legally defensible option is to declare the season null and void and I genuinely believe that, even after taking my Rangers hat off.

Just now, The Dude said:

Chile done it four months ago after protests over something or other forced the league to get cancelled. Games played to that point was the final standings. 

I dont think we should really use Chile as a yardpost for anything to be honest.

Even their rescue missions are a joke when a miner gets rescued from a cave after about a month only to find his wife and his mistress waiting for him with a huge gathering of media cameras.

Just now, KingKirk said:

Probably just added a week or so ago mate

So if the Europa gets cancelled no-one wins but if the SPL gets cancelled the taigs win?

We really have to win on Sunday to make this a stronger issue.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I dont think we should really use Chile as a yardpost for anything to be honest.

Even their rescue missions are a joke when a miner gets rescued from a cave after about a month only to find his wife and his mistress waiting for him with a huge gathering of media cameras.

Some direction you took that conversation in. 

Just now, eskbankloyal said:

Hopefully not but it would be such an unprecedented set of events who knows 

Which is why I believe the only sensible approach is complete void. 
Equal split of all the money, we all know there is only one club that won’t stand for that. 

32 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Fuck Hamilton and the likes. Don't recall much empathy from them back in 2012. They wanted us dead.....still do. Rancid waste of a football club. Any club that can only average a home gate of around 1000 doesn't deserve to be a top flight club anyway! 

Hamilton are one of the better clubs tbf.

20 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

They have two options.

Void the season, or find some compromise that enough clubs like to not veto it. This would be restructure position.

If it is voided, which I think is the fairest way of doing it, the clubs that qualified at the end of last season should get the euro places.

Bit shit as it gives them another shot at the champions league when it could have been us. But we all have to compromise.

Kilmarnock deserve to be nowhere near the Europa

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Re your final sentence, this is a fast moving crisis and the confirmation that a Juventus player is now infected moves the issue on again. Even by their own poor standards, a failure to have discussed a contingency plan suggests gross incompetence and a dereliction of duty. Or “business as usual” as it is also known.

As for not voiding the season, I can tell you that if Hearts, now four points adrift, are told in March that they are going down and are to be denied the right to fight for survival, they will be in the Court of Session faster than you say “interim interdict”

The only fair and legally defensible option is to declare the season null and void and I genuinely believe that, even after taking my Rangers hat off.

And the court of session will point them the the SPFL rule book (which I linked to a page or two ago) which has the rule Hearts signed up to giving the board discretion to end the season early. 

Were the SPFL to have arbitrarily ended the leagues and awarded titles, then maybe someone would have a case but if the government orders the cancellation of sporting events etc then they won't have a leg to stand on. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

Which is why I believe the only sensible approach is complete void. 
Equal split of all the money, we all know there is only one club that won’t stand for that. 

Far more than one. Every club that stands to lose out would kick up fuck. 

Just now, KingKirk said:

Tell me how they can just decide at any moment to crown champions without anything being decided and legally get away with it?

Because the rules every club signs up to at the start of the season gives the board the power to do exactly that. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Hamilton are one of the better clubs tbf.

Kilmarnock deserve to be nowhere near the Europa

They earned a chance to try and win the Europa League.

Im pretty sure it will end up that no-one that entered this year would have had a chance to win as it is going to get cancelled.

I genuinely think they deserve to get another try more than Motherwell.

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Who is going to lose out??

Far more will be happy enough with that and more prize money. 

Clubs at the top end of every would lose out as prize money etc is staggered. To give everyone equal amounts those with more would need to give up some so those with less could get level. 

Archived