The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, TMB said:

This seems the best option to me.  We’ve fuck all left to play for domestically anyway.  Ending the domestic football would allow us to focus on the Europa League which is to our benefit.  But, even the Europa might get cancelled in the coming weeks.

Juventus player has already been confirmed as testing positive for it.

European football is out the windae.

3 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Did they not make up the rules when they decided to give all the clubs a vote on whether we remained in the top league or were put to the bottom?

I can't remember the specifics but there were lots of gray areas

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Yes, but it is at the discretion of the board. There should be 38 however the board has the power to end it early. 

I am still not convinced they do.

I think the rule might be there to deal with other situations like if clubs finish completely level on points and goals and things need to go to a playoff etc. Or if it is agreed in advance to reduce a season because of a World Cup or something.

It feels to me that it would need to go to a member club vote for whatever reason is decided.

Yes the governments can order that the Football is stopped, but I dont think they can enforce who wins etc. That decision would be challenged im sure.

I do think you have a point and might be right, but I think there is more to play on this ironically.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To be fair, that was a decision because there was no provisions in the rules for the situation.

I can see both angles on this one, but I firmly believe that it is not fair to give one team a league title when another team can mathematically still win the league.

What if the league was level on points and it was a single goal splitting 1st and 2nd?

This point is moot. We're at matchday 31 after this weekend. They'll base it on 31 games not 38. 

If the league was level with a single goal splitting then usual rules would apply. 

The biggest one for me would be if one team had a 1 or two point advantage but had played a game more. 

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I am still not convinced they do.

I think the rule might be there to deal with other situations like if clubs finish completely level on points and goals and things need to go to a playoff etc. Or if it is agreed in advance to reduce a season because of a World Cup or something.

It feels to me that it would need to go to a member club vote for whatever reason is decided.

Yes the governments can order that the Football is stopped, but I dont think they can enforce who wins etc. That decision would be challenged im sure.

I do think you have a point and might be right, but I think there is more to play on this ironically.

The season definition is there just incase we get a scenario where teams have a backlog of games and it threatens to run too long into the close season. Weather postponements or shite like that. Clubs might not like it but there's far more to lose by declaring it void than calling it here and putting an asterisk beside it. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

This point is moot. We're at matchday 31 after this weekend. They'll base it on 31 games not 38. 

If the league was level with a single goal splitting then usual rules would apply. 

The biggest one for me would be if one team had a 1 or two point advantage but had played a game more. 

Its a minefield IMO.

Your example is a really good one and exactly why I think you have to base these things on the most crazy example that could happen.

I genuinely believe if a league is cut short midway through, then it should be null and void. It genuinely is my belief and not because they are winning the league either. It would be fundamentally against sporting integrity. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The season definition is there just incase we get a scenario where teams have a backlog of games and it threatens to run too long into the close season. Weather postponements or shite like that. Clubs might not like it but there's far more to lose by declaring it void than calling it here and putting an asterisk beside it. 

I genuinely dont think there it.

I think calling it void is fairer than putting an asterisk beside it.

Kilmarnock last season won the chance to play in a Europa League that will end up to have no winner.

I think all the teams who won their chance last season deserve the chance to participate in a tournament which would be played to completion still have that right. 

I do see where you are coming from as well, but its just a difference of opinions. Will be a minefield whatever way it goes.

I have no doubt the authorities would rather go with your suggestion (if you actually agree with it) but I think it should go to the member clubs and I think at least 3 would object meaning it should not happen. 

We could see them bring in an emergency league restructure next season, and bring in extended Premier League - allowing bigger clubs like Hearts,Dundee, Inverness into a top 16.

Would stop the grievance coming in, also many of the smaller clubs are going to really struggle to commit to a league season if completely skint.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes, but it is at the discretion of the board. There should be 38 however the board has the power to end it early. 

Everything is at the discretion of the board!

But they have rules regarding fixtures which are pointless if they can arbitrarily ignore them to help their cronies in the east end.

Their rules were probably written for every scenario they could think of but it is extremely unlikely that they dreamed up the clusterfuck we are in now.

Thats why I think your devotion to the rules you favour (and your disregard for contradictory rules) is misplaced.

3 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

We could see them bring in an emergency league restructure next season, and bring in extended Premier League - allowing bigger clubs like Hearts,Dundee, Inverness into a top 16.

Would stop the grievance coming in, also many of the smaller clubs are going to really struggle to commit to a league season if completely skint.

Been saying that for days.

This is the route they will most likely go down.

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I genuinely dont think there it.

I think calling it void is fairer than putting an asterisk beside it.

Kilmarnock last season won the chance to play in a Europa League that will end up to have no winner.

I think all the teams who won their chance last season deserve the chance to participate in a tournament which would be played to completion still have that right. 

I do see where you are coming from as well, but its just a difference of opinions. Will be a minefield whatever way it goes.

I have no doubt the authorities would rather go with your suggestion (if you actually agree with it) but I think it should go to the member clubs and I think at least 3 would object meaning it should not happen. 

I dont agree with it from a sporting perspective but also know that there's the whole business side of it all too. 

Im acutely aware of the financial implications this had for people which is why I simply don't see it being stopped unless utterly vital. Stopping a season in March could seriously threaten almost every club in Scotland. 

7 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Everything is at the discretion of the board!

But they have rules regarding fixtures which are pointless if they can arbitrarily ignore them to help their cronies in the east end.

Their rules were probably written for every scenario they could think of but it is extremely unlikely that they dreamed up the clusterfuck we are in now.

Thats why I think your devotion to the rules you favour (and your disregard for contradictory rules) is misplaced.

Its not to 'help their cronies in the East end' though, is it? It'll be because the government has ordered a shut down of events. 

Its not that difficult to think that there could be a scenario which causes serious fixture issues. It's very unlikely to happen but not that difficult to imagine in Scotland. 

Theres no devotion to rules I favour. The league season should be 38 games but the SPFL board can shorten that if circumstances dictate. Its probably fair to say, this is these circumstances. 

Just now, The Dude said:

I dont agree with it from a sporting perspective but also know that there's the whole business side of it all too. 

Im acutely aware of the financial implications this had for people which is why I simply don't see it being stopped unless utterly vital. Stopping a season in March could seriously threaten almost every club in Scotland. 

Agreed, but this has absolutely no bearing on deciding if you crown one team a winner etc.

The only club who would realistically fall into harm in this way would be Dundee Utd who have spent allot to try and get promoted.

It will be stopped when a club has players who come down with the illness. This is almost inevitable between now and the scheduled end of the season.

Just now, The Dude said:

Its not to 'help their cronies in the East end' though, is it? It'll be because the government has ordered a shut down of events. 

Its not that difficult to think that there could be a scenario which causes serious fixture issues. It's very unlikely to happen but not that difficult to imagine in Scotland. 

Theres no devotion to rules I favour. The league season should be 38 games but the SPFL board can shorten that if circumstances dictate. Its probably fair to say, this is these circumstances. 

I think they should be able to shorten it, but only with the approval of their member clubs.

If they cannot get an agreement to shorten, the league should be voided IMO.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Agreed, but this has absolutely no bearing on deciding if you crown one team a winner etc.

The only club who would realistically fall into harm in this way would be Dundee Utd who have spent allot to try and get promoted.

It will be stopped when a club has players who come down with the illness. This is almost inevitable between now and the scheduled end of the season.

Falkirk and Raith too. 

Falkirk and Raith too. 

But then you have to consider Hearts and the other teams in the relegation places which offsets the promotion clubs.

This is why I think they will be forced down a restructure route.

Teams will be promoted, none will be relegated.

It is the only scenario I think that they would get the clubs to sign up to.

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I think they should be able to shorten it, but only with the approval of their member clubs.

If they cannot get an agreement to shorten, the league should be voided IMO.

Voiding it opens up a whole new can of worms for them. What happens to European places? If, say Kilmarnock get into Europe ahead of Motherwell based on 2018/19, I can't see Motherwell just accepting it. Same with all the TV, sponsor and prize money from the league. That's all based on your position. In the overall standings. 

Voiding it opens up a whole new can of worms for them. What happens to European places? If, say Kilmarnock get into Europe ahead of Motherwell based on 2018/19, I can't see Motherwell just accepting it. Same with all the TV, sponsor and prize money from the league. That's all based on your position. In the overall standings. 

There are probably more issues with the TV money.

The TV deal will state x number of games and possibly even has x number of old firm games back in it.

I would hope that they just pro-rata, but another legal fight could be on the cards there!

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

But then you have to consider Hearts and the other teams in the relegation places which offsets the promotion clubs.

This is why I think they will be forced down a restructure route.

Teams will be promoted, none will be relegated.

It is the only scenario I think that they would get the clubs to sign up to.

The playoffs throw a massive spanner in the works there - unless those teams are unfairly denied their chance to be promoted. You'd effectively have to lose League Two as you'd be left with only six teams in it. 

And then hope that your TV partner doesn't look to kick up fuck at losing two Old Firm games a season. 

And whoever your league sponsor is. 

Just now, The Dude said:

The playoffs throw a massive spanner in the works there - unless those teams are unfairly denied their chance to be promoted. You'd effectively have to lose League Two as you'd be left with only six teams in it. 

And then hope that your TV partner doesn't look to kick up fuck at losing two Old Firm games a season. 

And whoever your league sponsor is. 

Playoffs are part of the season, they are theoretically in the shitter regardless.

Promote from the Lowland / Highland Leagues.

EK are desperate to get into the SPFL proper.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Playoffs are part of the season, they are theoretically in the shitter regardless.

Promote from the Lowland / Highland Leagues.

EK are desperate to get into the SPFL proper.

Then you would need to get the clubs to agree to expand the league considerably and further water down what they already get. I cant see many of the bottom clubs voting to allow a load of new teams to join the league. 

Archived