The coronavirus and the sfa

MacBoyd

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

Uncharted waters now, mate. Your unswerving allegiance to the rule book takes no cognisance of the current unique scenario which they could not possibly have considered when writing their rules.

Is there not some sort of precedence on how the SFA/SPFL should handle this situation with games being voided during WWII? 

With the outbreak of the War on 3 September 1939, the season was suspended after five rounds of games played in the Scottish League Division One. 

The league was not officially competed for until season 1946–47 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Its not to 'help their cronies in the East end' though, is it? It'll be because the government has ordered a shut down of events. 

Its not that difficult to think that there could be a scenario which causes serious fixture issues. It's very unlikely to happen but not that difficult to imagine in Scotland. 

Theres no devotion to rules I favour. The league season should be 38 games but the SPFL board can shorten that if circumstances dictate. Its probably fair to say, this is these circumstances. 

I have no disagreement with you regarding the possibility/probability of the league season not being completed.

Where we disagree is what happens next.

If we have enough fixtures outstanding (as is likely) that the key issues (title, euro places, relegation etc) could still go a number of different ways, then the board would face any number of legal challenges if they simply presumed that the status quo would have been the case had the fixture list been completed.

No one knows if Hearts will get off the bottom (I actually think,with a full season, they would) and they will absolutely challenge any decision by the SPFL board to relegate them based on current standings.

As an absolute minimum, there would have to be a vote of member clubs due to the unprecedented nature of this crisis. I know they have their rules but no set of rules can anticipate EVERY scenario. This is unique and critical for many clubs and deserves to be seen and treated as such,

29 minutes ago, OceanRain said:

If we were the team currently at the top of the table, I could definitely see us all supporting the idea of the league being scratched in the name of sporting integrity.

Definitely.

We certainly wouldn’t like it,  but at least the nominal notion of ‘sporting integrity’ would have been satisfied.

Ra Sellick are obviously overwhelming favourites to win the league but a couple of results could change that. The fact There is so much discussion  on this topic throughout the football world shows the bind we are in.

But yeah, I’d pure say null and void were we ahead at this point 😉

23 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Did they not make up the rules when they decided to give all the clubs a vote on whether we remained in the top league or were put to the bottom?

You couldn't make up some of the shit they made up in 2012

The board had the discretion to deal with our situation but instead decided to call an EGM to decide what to do if a member club failed to exit administration (called by Stephen Thompson I believe)

They came up with a proposal that included........

They can stay in the SPL but will not get any prize money for that season or any of the following 3 seasons. The money due would be split evenly among the other 11 members

They will also start each of the next 3 seasons with a deduction of 10 points or 1/3 of their previous seasons total (whichever is greater)

They will have a transfer embargo

In short you can stay in the league to fill our stadia and secure a tv deal but you cant win the league, receive any money or qualify for Europe - all in the interests of sporting integrity of course

Being bastions of sporting integrity celtic would naturally decline to accept any title that wasn't mathematically confirmed in the event that the league was suspended this season

6 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Looks like football could be scrapped in the next few weeks. celtic cannot be gifted the title. Sporting integrity must prevail. Null and void.

Steven wants games played behind closed doors, but that isn't fair on paying fans and it could spread the virus further.

The tims have better players than us so catching it  within the next 2 days and spreading it should be of paramount importance 

19 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

I have no disagreement with you regarding the possibility/probability of the league season not being completed.

Where we disagree is what happens next.

If we have enough fixtures outstanding (as is likely) that the key issues (title, euro places, relegation etc) could still go a number of different ways, then the board would face any number of legal challenges if they simply presumed that the status quo would have been the case had the fixture list been completed.

No one knows if Hearts will get off the bottom (I actually think,with a full season, they would) and they will absolutely challenge any decision by the SPFL board to relegate them based on current standings.

As an absolute minimum, there would have to be a vote of member clubs due to the unprecedented nature of this crisis. I know they have their rules but no set of rules can anticipate EVERY scenario. This is unique and critical for many clubs and deserves to be seen and treated as such,

Why don't they just do what they did in the War years when games were suspended? The season was classed as null and void.

6 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Why don't they just do what they did in the War years when games were suspended? The season was classed as null and void.

Think it was because there was only 5 games into the season in 1939 plus UEFA will need to know who is going to be in what competition for the start of their tournaments in late June early July, then you have teams who are more or less promoted and possibly might not be able to take a financial hit of being down one more year. Clubs also run the risk of being sued by ST holders if the comp is void altogether, most fans would probably be understanding of the sutuation if games were played behind ckosed doors because its an entirely unique situation but if we voided comps altogether they'd want to sue ckubs, FAs, whoever they can.

Itd be some laugh though and worth the season ticket money alone for the meltdown 

33 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

We certainly wouldn’t like it,  but at least the nominal notion of ‘sporting integrity’ would have been satisfied.

Ra Sellick are obviously overwhelming favourites to win the league but a couple of results could change that. The fact There is so much discussion  on this topic throughout the football world shows the bind we are in.

But yeah, I’d pure say null and void were we ahead at this point 😉

Rangers were top of the league in 1939 when the game was null and void due to War, This situation could be dealt with similarly. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939–40_in_Scottish_football

20 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Think it was because there was only 5 games into the season in 1939 plus UEFA will need to know who is going to be in what competition for the start of their tournaments in late June early July, then you have teams who are more or less promoted and possibly might not be able to take a financial hit of being down one more year. Clubs also run the risk of being sued by ST holders if the comp is void altogether, most fans would probably be understanding of the sutuation if games were played behind ckosed doors because its an entirely unique situation but if we voided comps altogether they'd want to sue ckubs, FAs, whoever they can.

Itd be some laugh though and worth the season ticket money alone for the meltdown 

Principal still stands, if the total was 5 or 31 games,  Do you award a title when there is no clear winner?

I understand your points but

UEFA/FIFA should make the decision to close down all leagues.

SFA  could use their profits this season to help the lower leagues

Bigger clubs should have insurance for these type of claims. 

ST holders can have games added to next season pass or a discounts for Europa games.

Play offs can be done for promotion or relegation.

1 minute ago, Sweetheart said:

Principal still stand if the game was 5 or 31 games  Do you award a title when there is no clear winner.

I understand your points but

UEFA should make the decision to close down all leagues.

FA should use their profits this season to help the lower leagues and bigger clubs should have insurance for these type of claims. 

ST holders can have games added to next season pass.  

I don't think the principle does stand, five games into a 38 game season verses 30 games into a 38 game season, theres no risk of bombs being dropped on the players while they perform and the players aren't needed to go and fight the virus, as for the clear winner, I think we migjt be getting our wires crossed, I'm not suggesting the tims are handed the trophy but the season should be finished behind closed doors

Clubs I don't think have insurances that covers this type of thing

What happens if someone can't afford a ST next year? Theres a few thousand floaters, I'm not sure the club, any club could handle that kind of rebate

18 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

It’s quite possible that things won’t be back to normal by then, current forecasts are saying the peak could be 12mths or more. 

5 minutes ago, roboscot said:

It’s quite possible that things won’t be back to normal by then, current forecasts are saying the peak could be 12mths or more. 

If football ia cancelled for 12 months the the whole landscape in Scotlanf will change dramatically,  clubs will fold left right and center and god knows where that leaves us, our financial state is precarious, I don't know how we'd be expected to honour contacts if we have no way of making money

14 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I don't think the principle does stand, five games into a 38 game season verses 30 games into a 38 game season, theres no risk of bombs being dropped on the players while they perform and the players aren't needed to go and fight the virus, as for the clear winner, I think we migjt be getting our wires crossed, I'm not suggesting the tims are handed the trophy but the season should be finished behind closed doors

Clubs I don't think have insurances that covers this type of thing

What happens if someone can't afford a ST next year? Theres a few thousand floaters, I'm not sure the club, any club could handle that kind of rebate

There's no clear winner though, Rangers were top of the league in 1939 when those game were voided we didn't receive a title for it. I understand that it is not like war time but it is a world crisis. Playing behind closed doors doesn't mean the players are safe, There's still a risk of the virus being carried by the opposition, staff or VIP's who get to watch games behind closed doors. The club should have insurance on tickets.

5 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

There's no clear winner though, Rangers were top of the league in 1939 when those game were voided we didn't receive a title for it. I understand that it is not like war time but it is a a world crises. Playing behind closed doors doesn't mean the players are safe, There's still a risk of the virus being carried by the opposition, staff or VIP's who get to watch games behind closed doors. The club should have insurance.

Again we've got our wires crossed, I'm not talking about titles being given in the event of the League being voided but even still, five games isn't a precedent 😂

As for playing behind closed doors, it'll more than likely be the only way to maintain the integrity of all competitions, the SPL is small fry in world football, UEFA will want their teams sorted for their competitions starting in late June/early July.

Big Nations with guaranteed group spots can afford to hold off their leagues for a while yet, us early starts need to be confirmed ASAP,  we as a club are as vulnerable as any in the event of no football.

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The NBA have just suspended the season. That is major.

Yet Scotland welcome some German mob and fans from the worst hit area of the virus in Germany!

The NHS in Scotland ain't equipped if this hits as expected. 

18 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Again we've got our wires crossed, I'm not talking about titles being given in the event of the League being voided but even still, five games isn't a precedent 😂

As for playing behind closed doors, it'll more than likely be the only way to maintain the integrity of all competitions, the SPL is small fry in world football, UEFA will want their teams sorted for their competitions starting in late June/early July.

Big Nations with guaranteed group spots can afford to hold off their leagues for a while yet, us early starts need to be confirmed ASAP,  we as a club are as vulnerable as any in the event of no football.

I accept that there has been crossed wires.

I was saying the precedence comes from the way situation was handled during WWII and the league being null and void. UEFA have the bigger problem of sorting out their fixture as you say. 

Agreed everyone is vulnerable but players should not be put in the position where they could be infected then pass it on to the whole squad. 

9 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

What happens if a player gets this virus? Will we stop the season at that point?

Bit like waiting to get diabetes before going on a diet 

End the season now

Of course the season will stop.  How can it possibly continue?  That player will have been in contact with the entire squad of players.  Every player in that squad would need to be tested and self-quarantined for 14 days.  So that team can no longer play any fixtures.  It's only a matter of time before a player contracts it anyway.

The SFA and SPFL need to stop the season right now.  I think they'll try and play matches behind closed doors but as this thing spreads players and officials are bound to contract it.  There's no way the season plays out in this country.

3 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

As MM said above there is a way to let the. Clubs survive until next seasons ST money kicks in. 
Also the fans have to think of their clubs and knock back any refund they are due. 

I agree about the refund but not if the fuckers go with Gerrard and play behind closed doors,he is obviously only thinking of Liverpool as there is no benefit to Rangers playing on with no fans.

Archived