Yanks

Essandoh

We’ve developed somewhat of a strong relationship with American players over the years, and even though some were clearly not up to standard, the one thing that can be said about all of them is their level of professionalism.

Reyna, Beasley and Edu are the obvious successes  with good pedigree that showed great work ethic and left everything on the pitch.

But even the likes of Bedoya, Zelalem and Hyndman left with the respect of most Rangers fans despite hardly setting the world alight.

It really wouldn’t be a bad thing if we explored this market more eagerly in the future. The number of talented young players leaving the States to European leagues increases every year, and the quality of player being developed there is only going to continue growing. I know we have some coaching camps etc but I’d be interested in hearing how our scouting department views MLS and the college system in America.

5 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

We’ve developed somewhat of a strong relationship with American players over the years, and even though some were clearly not up to standard, the one thing that can be said about all of them is their level of professionalism.

Reyna, Beasley and Edu are the obvious successes  with good pedigree that showed great work ethic and left everything on the pitch.

But even the likes of Bedoya, Zelalem and Hyndman left with the respect of most Rangers fans despite hardly setting the world alight.

It really wouldn’t be a bad thing if we explored this market more eagerly in the future. The number of talented young players leaving the States to European leagues increases every year, and the quality of player being developed there is only going to continue growing. I know we have some coaching camps etc but I’d be interested in hearing how our scouting department views MLS and the college system in America.

Bocanegra as well mate

10 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Did we not just sign up to a partnership with Orange County ? 

Think a couple of our youths are joining them on loan, sure I read something about that and maybe a couple of their youth heading our way? 

Completely forgot about that. Seems really positive.

1 minute ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Think we’ve done this type of thing before with other clubs to no real effect hopefully this time it’s different. 

Mind the Chinese mob :lol:

Shenzen Jianblao? Everyone had their grey orange hybrid Rangers jersey when I was in school

25 minutes ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Think a couple of our youths are joining them on loan, sure I read something about that and maybe a couple of their youth heading our way? 

We had one of their boys over for the Alkass Tournament,

They've also employed Harry Forrester and Rob Kiernan. Staunch.

47 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Sorry but Edu was shocking for the majority of his spell with us and Beasley wasn’t much better. 

13 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

They more than played their part in those title winning teams IMO

Beasley 19 appearances over the two title winning years, most from the bench.   He was awrite at best.  Far from anything special and we’d have still won those leagues without him.

edu was awrite at the start then just turned into an absolute donkey, He had awrite spells here and there but most of it was him clearly going through a low confidence spell, our support probably didn’t help. 

18 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Sorry but Edu was shocking for the majority of his spell with us and Beasley wasn’t much better. 

Edu i thought was decent, not the most techical player but he grafted. I think after he scored against the taigs he becAme our traditonal whipping boy. 

also beasley was a typical winger hot and cold but he done well i thought when here. Lyon away? Tannadice away just a couple of vivid memories

1 hour ago, Tiger Shaw said:

I've read that they have 4 players in the u17 national team. They signed someone from the academy that Beckham owns. 

So I automatically assumed they'd come over here for a trial at some point 😂

24 minutes ago, The Hammer 11 said:

I follow the MLS leagues improved massively over the past 5 years and some real gems in some of the teams, would like  to think we have scouts over there watching the MLS and NASL

Hopefully some stronger goalkeepers come through, that’s the only criticism I’d have right now

Nick Rimando set the bar high

2 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

currently 3 of our youths there but with Kiernan and Forrester in the team can't see it being too high a level.

Forrester has already tainted Dodoo's career so hope he does'nt ruin others

Americans and Australians have generally done good for us and it's definetely a market we should try to expose, like any market really.

I definetely think those two markets have worked well because both countries have a host of players who work hard.

The only issue with this market is both countries have fallen back a bit from where they were 10 years ago. America failed to reach the last world cup and Australia haven't really competed at WC since the "golden generation" in 2006 under Guus Hiddink.

I know you can only base players on their own merits but a national side is good marker of the general quality of the game in that country. For example Scotland.

2 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

Not sure if the term Yanks is acceptable in the current climate of snowflake permanently offended political correctness pal. 

Just reminded me of the old days when you hoped your bird had American knickers, one yank and they were down.

No fun for the snowflake generation, when folk used to laugh.

Edu was public enemy #1 for ages, slaughtered most games and the scapegoat for any failures - rightly or wrongly - my memories are that it was harsh and exaggerated but he was also the weakest link for sure

However, there was a spell after this where he genuinely came on to a really good game and run of form and didn't get the credit he deserved because so many were already against him.

So for people who rated and didn't rate Edu there's arguments and time-frames to support both

Archived