Allports Theory in action

D'Artagnan

Several years ago I wrote about Allports Theory of Prejudice and examined its various stages with regards to the trials and tribulations we as a support were experiencing.

This weekend demonstrated a shining example of that prejudice in action, not by the Police, not by the Judges, not even by Nil by Mouth....but by a member of the press.

I’m quite sure most of you need no introduction to Anna Smith of the News of the World. She formerly wrote for the Mirror and has, to say the least, an interesting past. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Ms Smith let me give you a flavour of her writing when she was a journo for the Mirror. The following article was written in the Scottish Sunday Mirror on Sunday 25th March 2007.

"Rangers are now reaping the whirlwind of hate that was nurtured by themselves."

Rangers Football Club have fostered bigotry for generations

Rangers cultivated sectarianism

Imagine singing a song about being up to your knees in Paki blood, but it's ok, it seems, to insult Irish Catholics.

They were shamed in 1972 when their moronic bigotted fans ran riot in Barcelona.

Then there were the Nazi salutes in Israel last month.

For some, Rangers stands for Protestant supremacy in Scotland.

And it seems that little has changed with Ms Smith with regard to how she views our club. Her opening article in the News of the World this week sought to mock the Rangers supporters who had complained of the use of the “h**” word...

As usual Rab C Nesbitt's Mary doll is on the ball. Actress Elaine C Smith told football fans to "grow up" after the BBC was cleared of bigotry.

Rab C called Rangers fans "h***" on the Xmas special.

"Big deal, get a life guys" You've got a title to chase.

Perhaps some of you would argue that Ms Smith is right, and that she is one of the common sense people who simply laugh off wind ups and “terms of endearment” amongst football rivals. Contrast her shrugging off of this term of abuse for Rangers fans with her response to The Famine song.

The Angry Ms smith

It seems that rather than advise those offended to “get a life” Ms Smith on this occasion chooses to be incandescent with rage. The words “Big Deal” spring to mind.

Might I draw your attention to Scales 1 & 3 of Allports theory.

Scale 1, Antilocution Antilocution means a majority group freely make jokes about a minority group. Speech is in terms of negative stereotypes and negative images. This is also called hate speech. It is commonly seen as harmless by the majority. Antilocution itself may not be harmful, but it sets the stage for more severe outlets for prejudice. Examples are jokes about various ethnic groups and so forth.

Scale 3, Discrimination Minority group is discriminated against by the denying of opportunities and services and thus, putting prejudice into action. Behaviours have the specific goal of harming the minority group by preventing them from achieving goals, achieving education, or jobs. The majority group is actively trying to harm the minority.

Seems to me that Ms Smith is seeking to deny Rangers supporters the right to complain, by attempting to mock and trivialise our complaints.

Which surprises me somewhat as Im reliably informed that her team is also involved in the title chase.

Perhaps some of you would argue that Ms Smith is right, and that she is one of the common sense people who simply laugh off wind ups

There was a time I would have said that D'Art, but I came to realise it's a one way street.

Perhaps some of you would argue that Ms Smith is right, and that she is one of the common sense people who simply laugh off wind ups

There was a time I would have said that D'Art, but I came to realise it's a one way street.

A pity so many others are so slow in coming to that realisation M

D’art you have been banging this drum for as long as I have posted on the internet…we have debated it on other sites in the past......I still don’t agree with it and I still don’t think it’s an appropriate analogy…….

There is no analogy GLC if you check the original post.

Yes Allport showed the workings of the scale with regard to the Holocaust....but not every case of prejudice or discrimination leads to extermination.

The model is used widely nowadays for discrimination cases in the workplace....many of which will not go beyond Stage 1.

D’art you have been banging this drum for as long as I have posted on the internet…we have debated it on other sites in the past......I still don’t agree with it and I still don’t think it’s an appropriate analogy…….

Ms Smith okay's the use of a racist term for Nazi's when referring to Rangers supporters.

She rages incandescently about carefully selected words to a song that Rangers supporters don't sing.

How about these analogies;

1. She's a two faced bitch.

2. She fly's her double standards high.

3. She likes a pint of bitter to wash down her sour grapes.

Better?

In fairness to GLC when I originally drafted my article on Allports all those years ago - I used his verbatim example of the Holocaust and he was not alone in registering his disapproval.

Aside from the Holocaust however the model is applicable in any situation of prejudice and thats what Im tryin g to demonstrate. As I said previously it is widely used in discrimination cases at employment tribunals etc.

For Many a year I have watched us be tagged as the only bad ones , we I am sorry to say live on a one way street with all the bad traffic heading towards us ,

Its all our fault and own doing say the media , the more we reply in an embittered way the worse we are tagged .

I try now to keep ma tongue in ma heid , but this time I will voice what the majority I believe feel , Ms Smith is a biggoted clown ( Red Hair , Sainsburys red nose job done) who is no better than the all those involved in the abuse cover up from the west end .

she paints the same clear and clean picture of her kind and there club , doing so while up to her neck in shit , Lets here her comments on the Soldiers Killed at Massereene Barracks and her kind who waved pizza boxes.

Here is her opinion ........................... Silence , for which they are all damned , we she says berate Irish Catholics oh YEH , so whats here stance on the guys in the Girodome who have never been to Ireland , who sing Stand up for The IRA .

She will of course have no opinion on this as its not us 'h***' singing it .

but thats what we have to put up with, and she will keep attacking.

Of course she will, I know the cow, she is one bhitter twisted slag and especially as she's doin it from the safety of her retreat in the oild country it can only get worse ! :sherlock:

but thats what we have to put up with, and she will keep attacking.

Of course she will, I know the cow, she is one bhitter twisted slag and especially as she's doin it from the safety of her retreat in the oild country it can only get worse ! :sherlock:

Is she still there BD ?