Shearer appointed Newcastle manager for the rest of the season

Chookes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7975700.stm

Breaking news on Sky Sports too.

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club and admitted in September 2008 he would like to be manager.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge at St James' Park as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

Shearer rejected an invitation to join Newcastle as a coach last November.

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club and admitted in September 2008 he would like to be manager.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge at St James' Park as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

Shearer rejected an invitation to join Newcastle as a coach last November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7975700.stm

Aw naw, I really hope he does well but I think he should have left it.

Shearer is an absolute hero down there and I think if he fails to keep them up he will waste that.

Good luck Alan. (tu)

Or they are looking at it that if they do go down, they won't hound Shearer out like they would anyway else.

Plus, Shearer's full season in football management should be at a lower league club :pipe:

ALAN SHEARER will take over as Newcastle boss today.

In a sensational move, owner Mike Ashley has turned to the former strike hero to save the club from relegation from the top flight.

The Magpies are third-bottom in the Prem table — two points adrift of safety — and disgruntled players have been calling for a figure of authority to haul them out of the mire.

Coach Chris Hughton is considered too soft for the job and Shearer, the man who cost a club-record £15million back in 1996, has been given the last eight games of the season to work a football miracle.

Shearer, 38, who met with Ashley for talks in London last night, has made no long-term commitment to the job beyond May but his hero status will go through the roof if he beats the drop.

And he will pocket a massive bonus approaching seven figures if he succeeds.

A Toon insider said: “This is the big throw of the dice. Alan has always turned down approaches to take on any coaching role at the club before.

“But this is a serious situation and everyone realises drastic measures are required.

"Alan, more than anyone, does not want to see Newcastle relegated.”

Shearer’s first game in charge will be the crunch Premier League clash against Chelsea at St James’ Park on Saturday.

His arrival is almost certain to spell the end of Dennis Wise’s controversial reign as the club’s executive director (football).

Former Chelsea and England star Wise has never seen eye-to-eye with Shearer, so the new gaffer is unlikely to want him to stay on.

Instead Shearer will be helped by his big pal — former team-mate Rob Lee, who will come in as coach.

Ashley had insisted Hughton and Colin Calderwood would carry on until stricken Joe Kinnear is fit enough to return following his heart op.

But it has become obvious that Kinnear would not be fit enough to return this term.

The last throw of the dice...........

If Shearer and Dowie do well I wonder how long it will be before people are mentioning Dowie for the Rangers job?

If Shearer and Dowie do well I wonder how long it will be before people are mentioning Dowie for the Rangers job?

Dowie's a massive Rangers fan as well, I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned already.

Dowie's a massive Rangers fan as well, I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned already.

Is he the one that looks like Sloth from the goonies?

Is he the one that looks like Sloth from the goonies?

(tu)

Newcastle should set up a soap opera, it would rival Eastenders.