Ferguson and McGregor dismissed from training

skins

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm a happy bear. Ferguson hasn't been fit to wear the captains armband for years & we were playing better without him at the start of the season. Alexander is a fair replacement for McGregor.

Well done done Walter for some deserved arse kicking. The pair of them have been acting like 5 year olds. This could well be what turns the season round for us. Bring it on!

Gers Punish Duo

BARRY FERGUSON has been deposed as Rangers captain and sent home from training today along with goalkeeper Allan McGregor in lieu of their actions at Scotland's World Cup qualifier with Iceland on Wednesday.

Manager Walter Smith has revealed that the two players will return to Murray Park later today when they will meet Chief Executive Martin Bain and learn their fate.

Following this meeting Rangers will release a statement. However, Smith has made it plain that the club is very unhappy with the players' behaviour and has revealed that they will not play at Falkirk.

It is common knowledge that Ferguson and McGregor were involved in a drinking session with other players at Cameron House Hotel on Sunday and that Scotland manager George Burley decided to leave them on the bench for the Iceland match as a result.

However, it was the gestures that the two players made while sitting on the bench that have angered Rangers and the manager in particular

The part in bold is an extension of the official story.

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1611143,00.html

More:

Smith said: "They were sent home from training today and they will return later when they will meet Martin Bain, our chief executive, and the Club will make a statement after that.

THE FULL WALTER SMITH PRESS CONFERENCE IS COMING UP ON WORLD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/7981287.stm

Rangers have stripped Barry Ferguson of the captaincy and dropped the midfielder and keeper Allan McGregor after breaching Scotland discipline.

The pair were sent home from training on Friday and will not face Falkirk.

Rangers manager Walter Smith said he decided to take action after V-signs made by the players while sitting on the bench against Iceland on Wednesday.

They had been dropped by Scotland boss George Burley after a drinking session after Saturday's defeat by Netherlands.

Now both men have been ordered by Smith to report to Rangers' training ground at Murray Park on Friday for talks with the club's chief executive, Martin Bain.

A further statement will then be issued by the club.

The day after Scotland's 2-1 win over Iceland, Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith and manager George Burley suggested that the matter was now closed.

Most people I have spoken to have backed the manager as they have let their club and their country down

However, SFA president George Peat has since indicated that he wants a further investigation of the events.

He has demanded that Smith and Burley file a report on the incidents to the parent body's board meeting on Thursday.

And Rangers, managed by former Scotland boss Smith, have taken their own disciplinary action.

Smith addressed a lunchtime media conference ahead of Sunday's Scottish Premier League match and said that defender David Weir would captain the side for the rest of the season.

He said Ferguson and McGregor had embarrassed themselves with their gestures at Hampden.

Rangers Supporters' Trust spokesman David Edgar backed the club's action, while admitting that some fans had sympathy for the players.

"Most people I have spoken to have backed the manager as they have let their club and their country down," he said.

"The gestures were so childish and immature it beggars belief that the captain of Rangers and Scotland thought it was a good idea.

"We need to eradicate this culture of drinking among footballers."

now we get the real reason - twats

I've said it and i'll say it again, Ferguson should never have been given the captaincy after he came back with his tail between his legs from blackburn. The fact is that he is a shadow of the player that originally left. There's a clique at rangers, le guen spotted it, tried to do something about it and was sacked. Those that complain about the dross we have been watching since WS came back are those who like quick fixes. I've no doubt that we would have been in a better position had Le guen been given time. Would he have signed the duds who aren't fit to put on the shirt. That is the problem to many like quick fixes at this club and it's stopping us from mkoving forward. Broadfoot, Mcgregor, ferguson, weir, dailly, whittaker, miller ec all need to go, we need a complete overhaul, get youngsters in and fucking build!!!!

A lot of you dont seem to bothered about Fergie losing captaincy and being transfer listed but your opinions will change when Walter plays CHRISTIAN DAILLY in his place....

A lot of you dont seem to bothered about Fergie losing captaincy and being transfer listed but your opinions will change when Walter plays CHRISTIAN DAILLY in his place....

far be it from me to point the finger ya ya ya %34u20t5-3925rfzcx bhastart :ph34r:

F**k. Forgot about him! :anguish:

Actually both are as bad as each other.

I would hope Edu gets his chance now.

Or Davis moved into the mid.

Fergie isnt the player he once was but he'll never sink to the level of Dailly.. and im betting Dailly starts against Falkirk! <cr>

agreed.....if Dailly gets a place ahead of him we will have a mega flakey

Setanta confirming Weir is captain for the rest of the season.

Hopefully Ferguson will be sent packing. His poor form and attitude is setting a bad example to the youngsters coming through.

Undecided about McGregor. He deserves the 2 week suspension, but I don't know if I'd sell him. He's a good keeper.

Fergie isnt the player he once was but he'll never sink to the level of Dailly.. and im betting Dailly starts against Falkirk! <cr>

Unfortunately i think it will be McCulloch starting in midfield.

Unfortunately i think it will be McCulloch starting in midfield.

I'd cry.