Ferguson and McGregor dismissed from training

skins

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BARRY FERGUSON'S Rangers future was today in doubt after he was sent home from training today along with goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Manager Walter Smith ordered the pair home after their antics on Scotland duty saw them axed from the starting line-up to face Iceland.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2499667.0.0.php

Paul le Guen will be fuckin pishing himself laughing.

Along with every non-Rangers fan.

A laughing stock. Thank the lord I'm on the golf course this afternoon and away from the ensuing fun and games.

BARRY FERGUSON'S Rangers future was today in doubt after he was sent home from training today along with goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Manager Walter Smith ordered the pair home after their antics on Scotland duty saw them axed from the starting line-up to face Iceland.

The Rangers captain was already considering his international future after being dropped to the bench for Wednesday's World Cup qualifier by boss George Burley alongside club-mate McGregor after a near eight-hour drinking session at the team's Loch Lomond hotel base on Sunday morning.

It is believed Alan Hutton, Scott Brown, Gary Teale and Steven Whittaker were the others involved, but that quartet had departed the scene before coach Steven Pressley was called to the bar by a member of the hotel management to be informed that Ferguson and McGregor were still there at around noon.

Pressley then advised Burley of what had happened - and the Scotland manager told both players they would have to go for a breach of discipline.

However, a delegation of players - including Celtic skipper Stephen McManus and Darren Fletcher - along with the others who were involved in the drinking session went to Burley and asked for him to reconsider axing the Gers duo.

Burley feared mutiny if he banished Ferguson and McGregor, well aware others would have followed in support of the Rangers pair amidst complaints they were carrying the can' and being singled out for doing not much more than the others.

McManus and Fletcher also asked Burley to reconsider on the grounds the scandal and upheaval would have caused by hitting the public domain ahead of the Iceland game.

Burley then changed his mind and both players remained and were eventually benched - but, despite a statement from SFA chief executive Gordon Smith last night that the matter is closed, that is certainly not the case.

SFA president George Peat wants another probe and wants all the facts of what went on ready for him to put to the SFA international board next Thursday.

There have been claims today that Ferguson may well be axed as skipper as a result of that meeting - but SportTimes understands the 31-year-old who has earned 45 caps in the last 11 years is now seriously considering retiring from the international set-up.

Ferguson knows his conduct was out of order by going on a drinking session after the team arrived back from Amsterdam at 4am.

But sources close to him say he has been "hung out to dry" by the SFA and Burley as he did nothing different to the other players, and is being made a scapegoat along with McGregor.

Burley, according to sources close to the manager, is unlikely to pick either player again while he remains at the helm, with the next Scotland duty not until August when we face Norway in Oslo, despite the fact he stated after the game that neither Ferguson nor McGregor's careers were over under him.

But while McGregor has not intimated what the future holds for him, Ferguson is very much down that road and he may well walk.

Peat, meantime, does not appear content with Burley and Smith's investigation.

He said today: "I want a full detailed explanation. Who gave the players permission to have drinks and why?

"I want to know what the behaviour of the players involved was like, and if there were complaints made to the hotel by guests who may have been upset by what they saw or heard.

"I want to know everything and I also want to know why those two players made the gestures which were all over the newspapers yesterday morning. I want to know who those gestures were aimed at.

"It will be up to either the manager or chief executive to bring that information to the table. When the full report is ready it will go before the full board."

Smith had emerged from a meeting with Burley yesterday to announce that a new code of conduct' would be put in place for future international gatherings.

He said: "I have met with George and we have spoken about the events. I fully support George's decision, which was obviously taken with the best interests of the team and the country in mind.

"What is clear, though, is that this type of incident must not be allowed to happen again. George, like any other manager, relies on his players to act in a responsible manner when representing their country.

"We will be issuing players with a code of conduct and will be tightening up arrangements within the team hotel. Where any player does not meet the standards required of a Scotland international, they will be dealt with swiftly and effectively. We now consider this matter to be closed."

To be honest this tells us nothing, we don't know if it was just the drinking antics that has caused Walter Smith to send both of them home, once again a journalist is putting 2+2 together to =5. There may have been other reasons for this.

Setanta news confirm captaincy gone and transfer listed

A very reliable source when it comes to Rangers :rolleyes:

Their coverage of games is biased, but I've never known their news channel to be wrong.

Guest therabbitt
Setanta news confirm captaincy gone and transfer listed

If this is true...

Weir to be made captain I'd presume. I'd rather it were Bougherra though...

PLG did expose something and now its emerging for all to see

yes he did that he was usless as our manager, remember the position that we were in.

Maybe that was because of Barry.

PLG did expose something and now its emerging for all to see

yes he did that he was usless as our manager, remember the position that we were in.

Maybe that was because of Barry.

Give us fucking peace your getting as bad as muff :craphead: