• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry Ferguson - Icon

01n_ferguson_narrowweb__200x285.jpg

Berry Ferguson - Every young Rangers fans' icon

So here we sit, but a few days before one of the biggest games in our history. While not as important, it could also mark the last game for a certain Mr Ferguson.

Things haven't went well for him recently, we all know that. The much publicised Scotland incident and bust up with Paul Le Guen has soured the end of his career at Rangers. Combined with a distinct drop in performance level, it hurts to say that he's no longer the player he was.

But should we let all of that completely sour our memories? Not in this fan's eyes.

A born and bred Rangers man who carries his emotions on his sleeve. Just like you, me or anyone else reading this, he was the epitome of the 'local lad come good' stereotype when Dick Advocaat took him under his wing.Fast forward a year or two and Ferguson could be found clashing with true giants of the European game. Stefan Effenberg, Gaizka Mendieta and Mehmet Scholl - to name but a few - were often left in Barry's shadow as he announced himself on the European scene with a footballing intelligence, first touch and passing range almost unknown in Scotland for years.

0102fergusonb.jpg

Ferguson lifts the CIS Cup

And that's not even covered arguably his best performance; England 0 - 1 Scotland, the last clash of the Auld Enemy at Wembley.

In a game where Ferguson came up against Scholes, Ince and Beckham, many expected him (and Scotland) to collapse and die. How wrong were they? A 90-minute masterclass ensued, where Ibrox's very latest youth product completely bossed the multi-million pound England midfield. Many of our own media looked upon his move to Blackburn as a failure, but this is another fallacy that seems to be believed without an iota of questioning. Made captain within a matter of weeks, voted Players' POTY and recieved 11 MOTM awards in his first six months at Ewood Park. Is that really the record of a failure? I think not.

No matter what happens to him in the twilight of his career, he should be remember not for his few mistakes, but for what he's given for this club. He's put himself (often regrettably) through severe pain in order to wear the fabled armband and it could be argued that this has cost him longevity at a higher level.

He was an idol - still is for many people - and that's how hes should be remembered. One of the last true 'Rangers men' we'll see dominate European matches in such a fashion? Possibly. One of the best players of his generation? Absolutely.

fergesonDM3103_468x435.jpg

Ferguson doesn't hide his joy as Rangers defeat Celtic

Good luck in whatever you do Barry. Even when we win the league against Dundee United on Sunday, I will have a moment of sadness when I realise that we'll never see you run out at Ibrox doing what you love, for the club you love. You were an inspiration to us all.

fantastic post mate congrats. i had a right good think about this a few weeks back when the thorough barry pounding was happening and posted something similar but not nearly well written as yours on another thread.

good luck barry. that free kick at hampden against the scum will always asend shivers down my spine! even if the vest didnt! :craphead::gerbad:

after all his service to Rangers it would be great if he plays a part in the last game and that we of course win it...would be such a shame that the moments of madness deflected away all he has done for the Gers

there have been things ot moan about but nows the time to look at all the good things he has done

Thanks for that Papa.

I'm as guilty as anyone of some of the negativity that gets posted on here. Barry, Walter, Ally, they all get it the neck and what is their crime ? Being Rangers through and through, that's it. They're just the same as us and feel the hurt as we do if not even more.

Makes me glad that the internet wasn't around in the days of Baxter, Greig, Cooper etc. cause they would have all got in the neck as well. One bad game and the same old crap would have been dredged out about them.

Good post.

I think Barry will still be here next season.

Anyway, as you say, Barry battled through the pain barrier and battled away when others were

slacking off.

Too many things Barry has done is being forgotten by many.

Thanks for that Papa.

I'm as guilty as anyone of some of the negativity that gets posted on here. Barry, Walter, Ally, they all get it the neck and what is their crime ? Being Rangers through and through, that's it. They're just the same as us and feel the hurt as we do if not even more.

Makes me glad that the internet wasn't around in the days of Baxter, Greig, Cooper etc. cause they would have all got in the neck as well. One bad game and the same old crap would have been dredged out about them.

That's a good point mate.

We expect so much more of the 'Rangers men' in the side. At least Barry was able to meet (and surpass) those expectations for a number of years, and that's what made me post that (tu)

OHHHHH BARRY BARRYYYYY !!

Im only 16 and the first thing that i seen of barry was the game against them in the cup final, he scored that wonderful freekick.

Always remember the man. LEGEND !!. Cheeers Barrry :D(tu)

Great post Papa!

I think you summed it up perfectly. I was hurting badly in the wake of the Scotand affair and said at the time Barrys conduct was not appropriate for a Rangers player, never mind Captain. But you are so right in what you have said. He is what being a Ranger is all about, he knows what it takes and what it means. He's a legend. I'll never forgot the free kick against ra sellick at Hampden, what an amazing feeling. The early European performances under Advocatt were something else. If he goes I wish him all the best.

Barry Ferguson - Icon

01n_ferguson_narrowweb__200x285.jpg

Berry Ferguson - Every young Rangers fans' icon

So here we sit, but a few days before one of the biggest games in our history. While not as important, it could also mark the last game for a certain Mr Ferguson.

Things haven't went well for him recently, we all know that. The much publicised Scotland incident and bust up with Paul Le Guen has soured the end of his career at Rangers. Combined with a distinct drop in performance level, it hurts to say that he's no longer the player he was.

But should we let all of that completely sour our memories? Not in this fan's eyes.

A born and bred Rangers man who carries his emotions on his sleeve. Just like you, me or anyone else reading this, he was the epitome of the 'local lad come good' stereotype when Dick Advocaat took him under his wing.Fast forward a year or two and Ferguson could be found clashing with true giants of the European game. Stefan Effenberg, Gaizka Mendieta and Mehmet Scholl - to name but a few - were often left in Barry's shadow as he announced himself on the European scene with a footballing intelligence, first touch and passing range almost unknown in Scotland for years.

0102fergusonb.jpg

Ferguson lifts the CIS Cup

And that's not even covered arguably his best performance; England 0 - 1 Scotland, the last clash of the Auld Enemy at Wembley.

In a game where Ferguson came up against Scholes, Ince and Beckham, many expected him (and Scotland) to collapse and die. How wrong were they? A 90-minute masterclass ensued, where Ibrox's very latest youth product completely bossed the multi-million pound England midfield. Many of our own media looked upon his move to Blackburn as a failure, but this is another fallacy that seems to be believed without an iota of questioning. Made captain within a matter of weeks, voted Players' POTY and recieved 11 MOTM awards in his first six months at Ewood Park. Is that really the record of a failure? I think not.

No matter what happens to him in the twilight of his career, he should be remember not for his few mistakes, but for what he's given for this club. He's put himself (often regrettably) through severe pain in order to wear the fabled armband and it could be argued that this has cost him longevity at a higher level.

He was an idol - still is for many people - and that's how hes should be remembered. One of the last true 'Rangers men' we'll see dominate European matches in such a fashion? Possibly. One of the best players of his generation? Absolutely.

fergesonDM3103_468x435.jpg

Ferguson doesn't hide his joy as Rangers defeat Celtic

Good luck in whatever you do Barry. Even when we win the league against Dundee United on Sunday, I will have a moment of sadness when I realise that we'll never see you run out at Ibrox doing what you love, for the club you love. You were an inspiration to us all.

Great post Papaguy51, as you say Barry is one of our own and helped us to some great times, if he goes all the best and good luck to him. (tu)

wouldnt be surprised, or overly upset, if ferguson starts on sunday.

was a great leader for us on many big stages and we need a leader on sunday. Davies great at organising the boys and deserves to lift that title as captain but for what hes done for the club barry deserves to be right up there with him.

He will give his all to bring it home

Barry Ferguson is the best player I have watched in Rangers shirt for all the years I have been alive, it saddens me to think that he'll be leaving, after all the memories I have of him from the free kick against Celtic in the Final, to the tears in his eyes after the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester. It's just went so fast :(

:praise: Barry Ferguson

Fantastic post :clap:

I was delighted to see him come on against the Sheep and to hear the reception he received. I will never forget all the good work he's done in a Rangers shirt.

Good point re. his stint at Blackburn. Really fucks me off when his spell there is labelled a "failure".

Barrys an absolute legend in my eyes, he's a role model to younger people

He is a great player on his game, just a shame whats happend with injuries etc

I was never mad at him or shagger for havin a bevy, the V-Signs were just stupid, but im glad to see him back

Hope he plays a part on Sunday

Ohh Barry Barry :gerbad:

I would like to see Davie and Barry lift the trophy together on Sunday. It would be a fitting end to a loyal servants career at Rangers. If indeed it is the end.

Was going to say the same.