Jimmy Calderwood Leaves Aberdeen

Calderwood poised to leave Dons

Calderwood's side clinched a European place on the final day

Jimmy Calderwood is to leave his post as Aberdeen manager, with a statement expected before the end of Sunday.

Calderwood refused to deny suggestions that he was about to leave the Scottish Premier League club when interviewed after their 2-1 win over Hibernian.

Asked about the situation, he told BBC Scotland: "Time will tell. We've got to talk and we'll see what happens.

"I love Aberdeen. I love the club and the city. We'll talk about a few things and there's a decision to be made."

Calderwood led the club back into Europe on Sunday after a 2-1 win over Hibernian was coupled with Dundee United's 3-0 loss at home to Rangers.

It meant that the Dons overtook United on goal difference to clinch fourth spot and a place in the new Europa League.

I have a contract for two years, but we have to talk to a few people and see what happens

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood

"It's wonderful," said Calderwood, who praised his players, assistant Jimmy Nicholl and coach Sandy Clark after the last game of the season.

"We've got a wonderful record, Jimmy, Sandy and I. We left a club, Dunfermline, when they were in Europe and, outside the Old Firm, we have been the most consistent in the top six.

"People say that's not enough, but we've been in Europe three times."

The former Dunfermline boss arrived at Pittodrie in the summer of 2004, replacing Steve Paterson at the helm, and turned the fortunes of the club around almost immediately.

But, following this season's Scottish Cup exit at the hands of First Division Dunfermline, the AFC Trust wrote an open letter to director of football Willie Miller demanding Calderwood be sacked.

Asked if that had been a problem, Calderwood said: "Nothing has disillusioned me.

"I have a contract for two years, but we have to talk to a few people and see what happens."

Calderwood did admit that Aberdeen's record in cup competitions was his biggest regret.

He was also disappointed that two of the club's most experienced players - midfielders Scott Severin and Jamie Smith - would be leaving in the summer.

"If you look at the players we have lost in the last few years, we could have had a magnificent team," Calderwood added, alluding to the tight budget that has led to several players departing Pittodrie for more lucrative offers elsewhere.

DONS MANAGEMENT TEAM

Aberdeen Football Club has announced that manager Jimmy Calderwood, along with assistants Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark have left the Pittodrie by mutual consent after five years in charge.

Pittodrie Director of Football Willie Miller commented, "On behalf of everyone at the Club, I would like to thank Jimmy, Jimmy and Sandy for the substantial contribution they have made in stabilising things over the past five years, including of course, qualification again for Europe this afternoon. When they arrived there was a massive rebuilding task required and subsequently we have seen the fruits of their efforts with regular top six finishes in the league and a return to Europe, notably the fantastic run two seasons ago which saw us reach the last thirty-two of the UEFA Cup. While the absence of a domestic trophy continues to be a source of frustration for everyone connected with AFC, the three of them can be proud of what they have achieved and we wish them every success for the future."

Jimmy Calderwood added, "Aberdeen is such a wonderful club and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, as indeed have Jimmy and Sandy. However, after five seasons, I feel the time is right for a fresh challenge. I'm moving on with so many happy memories of the Club and the area and I would like to thank the fans for their support as the vast majority have been fantastic. I would also wish Aberdeen Football Club all the very best for the future and I depart knowing my successor will have a solid platform from which to move forward including the return of European football next season."

On AFC website.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/artic...fZ42bLYM9ZPPSPA

GLASGOW (AFP) — Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood and his assistants Jimmy Nicholl and Sandy Clark left the club by mutual consent after Sunday's 2-1 victory over Hibernian, the Scottish Premier League team have announced.

Calderwood had just led Aberdeen into Europe for the second time in three years as Sunday's win sealed the SPL's final Europa League spot.

But he was downbeat after the match, initially refusing to say if he would be in charge at Pittodrie next season and soon after making his exit.

The Dons finished fourth this season but suffered a shock Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Queen of the South.

They had previously suffered a League Cup upset against Queen's Park in Calderwood's second season in charge.

These cup defeats were too much for some Aberdeen fans and the final straw for some came when the club lost their Scottish Cup quarter-final replay to Dunfermline in March.

Calderwood had also complained in the past that he had to work against a backdrop of financial constraint which saw key players move on throughout his tenure.

He said: "Aberdeen is such a wonderful club and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here, as indeed have Jimmy and Sandy.

"However, after five seasons, I feel the time is right for a fresh challenge. I'm moving on with so many happy memories of the club and the area and I would like to thank the fans for their support as the vast majority have been fantastic.

"I would also wish Aberdeen Football Club all the very best for the future and I depart knowing my successor will have a solid platform from which to move forward including the return of European football next season."

Director of football Willie Miller added: "When Jimmy arrived, there was a massive rebuilding task required and subsequently we have seen the fruits of their efforts with regular top-six finishes in the league and a return to Europe, notably the fantastic run two seasons ago which saw us reach the last 32 of the UEFA Cup.

"While the absence of a domestic trophy continues to be a source of frustration for everyone connected with AFC, the three of them can be proud of what they have achieved and we wish them every success for the future."