Do we really NEED to sign anyone?

Goianegra

We need a right back as cover for Whittaker, a centre half to play alongside Bougherra, a right and left midfielder. IMO Davis is wasted out ther and the left hand side of midfield has been a problem all season. We could possibly do with another striker but with lafferty, Novo, Boyd and Miller we have got good competition for places in that department

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm i dont think we do, we have a pretty good young squad. People say we need a RB but i think Whittaker is finally finding his form. Kevin Thomson coming back next season also which is great news. I'd rather clear some debt tbh and sell some players like Hemdani ect who just sit on the bench if that and waste wages.

would agree with most of the people...think we need natural width...we have played most of this season with four central midfielders across the middle of the park...Everyone delighted with Thomo coming back (i'm his biggest fan) but want add any width in the team...need a few good wingers like Driver from Hearts (Around 1mil or so)

Need a decent CB as Davie Weir prob last another full season including CL - also need a top quality striker

Suming it up:

CB x1 (3mil)

wingers x3 (4 mil total)

Striker x1 (4mil)

Total 11mil...which is possible if we move on the dead wood from Ibrox

Bring on next season!!!

We need a centre-back, a proven striker as I reckon Boyd will be off, and a left-back, as much as I like Papac I think we can do better.

They don't need to be world-class, just good enough for the SPL, as I reckon anything we achieve in the Champions League will be a bonus.

I think if we get £15m from the CL, then we should find a couple of relatively cheap players and spend no more than £5m, and use the £10m left over to pay off the debt. Get rid of the deadwood, and when you add the young lads like Campbell, Fleck, Little, Wilson, Wylde, Hemmings et al who should be knocking on the door of the first team, we have the nucleus of a very decent team.

A real top notch striker ( like cousin ) for our CL campaign.

Our strikers are great at SPL level, but Walter has proven already he doesnt fancy Boyd in Europe.

Then again, last season, Boyd wouldnt have started yesterday. I would hope he stays, if he does, and kicks on from yesterday, we dont have much of a problem there

RM - Davis plays well out wide even though he is a center mid. We've got Aaron available to play RM along with Novo. Whittaker can play there too. Not too worried about RM!

I find it astonishing that you feel that the right midfield position is more than sufficient! Even with the options you put!

Well depends who leaves really....

Say McGregor goes....new Backup GK as cover for Alexander

A new CB, Davie cant be expected to cope with so much again, though he just defies belief :D

A left/right sided midfielder however from sounds this season Aaron and Fleck will feature next season

All I can see we need in all honesty.

Plus the obvious clearout of certian players

I think the squad is in a much healthier position than I can remember pretty much since DA's second league triumph.

However, a winning squad ALWAYS requires freshening up and this one is no different. We're strong, very strong, but we'd be foolish to rest on our laurels and go with the same again for next season.

one CB, , LB, LM and possibly RM (davis is a central midfielder), importantly think we need a striker who can score goals in the champions league, canny see boydy, miller combo causing much threat to barca etc.

If we made one "big" signing, ie the Ukrainian guy we're being linked with, and got rid of the dross, I'd be happy with that. I think a fair few of the u19s are ready to make the step-up, the likes of Jamie Ness, Kane Hemmings, Gregg Wylde, and Danny Wilson would make decent squad players.

RM - Davis plays well out wide even though he is a center mid. We've got Aaron available to play RM along with Novo. Whittaker can play there too. Not too worried about RM!

I find it astonishing that you feel that the right midfield position is more than sufficient! Even with the options you put!

Everybody is pandering for Davis to play centrally, but he's occupied that right midfield berth for nearly eighteen months now.

Unless you drop or sell Davis then there is no problem at right midfield at all.

Everybody is pandering for Davis to play centrally, but he's occupied that right midfield berth for nearly eighteen months now.

Unless you drop or sell Davis then there is no problem at right midfield at all.

Your right that I'd prefer him centrally like he was at Villa, Fulham and still at NI but I still agree if we have a better balance on the left in that side giving us pace and width, Giggs and Beckham to an obviously lesser extent if I may and we've seen Davis' stats from mainly that position on the right.

Also, its not just Davis but Allzo seemed to think the other options were sufficient and I disagree, there's no good enough alternative to him.

I think

Out:

Hendami

Adam

S Smith

Dailly

Fergie

Beasley

Novo

and maybe shagger but not too bothered

and that will allow rangers to bring in 1 maybe 2 players and hold onto the likes of boogy and boyd

I suspect that the CL money will all go on the debt so we will only be able to spend what we get in transfer fees

I would sell McGregor, Ferguson, Mendes, Boyd, Naismith and Adam which should bring in about 10 - 12M. I'd bring in Aguiar on a Bosman and spend the money on just two players - a CB and most of the cash on a really decent big striker. Buying wingers would be a waste of money as Smith won't play them - go 4-3-3 with the new striker flanked by guys like Miller, Lafferty, Fleck, Novo etc

I think we do need to make a few buys in the summer, I would look at getting a new left winger and bringing in a new centre back to replace Weir as I can't see him playing for another season.

Other than that we do have a good squad and I would like to see us give youth a chance.

A few old players and some poor ones need replaced.

If you dont freshen up the squad every year you go backwards.

I suspect that the CL money will all go on the debt so we will only be able to spend what we get in transfer fees

I would sell McGregor, Ferguson, Mendes, Boyd, Naismith and Adam which should bring in about 10 - 12M. I'd bring in Aguiar on a Bosman and spend the money on just two players - a CB and most of the cash on a really decent big striker. Buying wingers would be a waste of money as Smith won't play them - go 4-3-3 with the new striker flanked by guys like Miller, Lafferty, Fleck, Novo etc

Mendes and Boyd have poss been two of our best players - to buy 25-30 per season which Boyd gives you, you'll need pay at least 5mil on one player which is crazy...If Ferguson leaves...We got to keep Mendes...your logic seems crazy mate!

I think Weir is good at times but his age scares me. I agree with everyone is seeing the need for another CB--if only we hadn't sold Cuellar. Even if we keep Weir he needs help or a backup. Other than that I think we could be OK--remember that we have Stevie Naismith who has yet to prove himself. If he shows up we could be home free.

Mendes and Boyd have poss been two of our best players - to buy 25-30 per season which Boyd gives you, you'll need pay at least 5mil on one player which is crazy...If Ferguson leaves...We got to keep Mendes...your logic seems crazy mate!

I'm suggesting spending more than 5M on one player - 6-7M on a striker I don't think that's crazy at all. This thread is about whether we need to spend at all in view of a reasonable squad already available. Better to concentrate the money on just a couple really good players. To raise transfer money we will need to sell - I would want to keep Alexander, Bougherra, Davis, Edu, Lafferty, Thomson, Papac, Whittaker, Fleck and Miller (of the players who are actually worth some money). McGregor is definitely worth something and I think we should sell. Boyd is the other asset we can make some money on and if the money is used on a striker capable of playing against decent defenders then I'm happy to see Boyd go. The only top six team he scores regularly against is Dundee Utd and that's because their two CBs are actually very poor.

As for Mendes he scored the same number of goals as Velicka and went missing for most of the second half of the season. I'd rather bring in Aguiar as he offers dead ball expertise which Mendes doesn't. As we also have Edu, Thomson and Davis available for CM, I think Mendes could go. We certainly couldn't play Aguiar and Mendes together.