Walter Smith is staying at Rangers next season!

Smith staying to lead Rangers into Champions League

25.05.09 | tribalfootball.com

Rangers boss Walter Smith has declared he's staying after clinching the SPL title.

Goals from Kyle Lafferty, Pedro Mendes and Kris Boyd secured the win against Dundee United which sealed the championship after three years of dominance from Celtic.

The triumph also guarantees Rangers entry to the group stages of the Champions League after they fell at the first hurdle in qualifying at the start of this term.

Asked whether he felt he still had unfinished business at Ibrox, Smith replied: "I never said I didn't. This is what everyone else keeps asking me.

"I think when you get to my age, other people look at you retiring.

"Obviously, I would much rather face the Champions League than qualification for the Champions League.

"I plan to go on holiday and then come back and face the Champions League."

Rangers surrendered the title to Celtic on the final day last season - when Gordon Strachan's men also ironically triumphed at Tannadice - and Smith knows the bottle of his players was questioned back then.

But, having fought back from seven points behind and come through a number of off-field problems, Smith insists no-one can question the character of Rangers this time around.

He said: "It was a very important win for everyone at the club and I was delighted with the manner in which we won it.

"I'm really happy for everyone at the club to have the championship.

"Despite everybody else's assessment of Rangers, we have had some really good performances over the season and that was one of them. It came on a day that we needed it.

"A lot of people said last season that Rangers lost their bottle a wee bit in the latter stages, which I didn't think was the case.

"But the lads have shown in recent weeks they have what it takes to win a championship and I'm delighted we have."

I've heard otherwise, but maybe today's events have changed his mind.

EDIT: Its from tribalfootball. I won't believe it until I see it on a reputable site.

Definetely right about the site in question, but here is hoping.

I think WS has unfinished business in the CL and you know what, when his team actually turn up we are in pretty good shape.

If I had known this 4 months ago I would have been crushed, not now.

Walter Smith :adore:

Can possibly see Edu filling the Hemdani role and Kenny Miller the Darcheville loan striker role.

Unless he does change his European tactics but that's doubtful.

i think we will maybe play a 4-4-2 at home n maybe the 4-5-1 anyway in the CL. you can never guess walter's tactics but :lol:

I still want him gone by August, probably the only down side of today in that he'll want to stay now.

haha, REALLY have to ask why?

We are now in a GREAT position. The team has a level of consistency, the pressure is off in a lot of respects, and, for once we dont have to completely rebuild the entire playing squad in the summer, just tweak it. Why disrupt everything and have to go through that again?

he told bbc/clyde/sky sports that it was him who got us to champs league and it will be him taking his team to the champ league as long as murray doesnt sack him.

so i look forward to seeing the lads keeping the standard they set yesterday.

we have no one to fear.

I was so proud of the club yesterday and so happy for Walter and his coaches.

I was/am/have been a critic, who hasnt been though?, i expect the best, yesterday i saw the best, Walters team were outstanding.

Walter Smiths blue n white army.

the new season cant come quick enough

I still want him gone by August, probably the only down side of today in that he'll want to stay now.

We are now in a GREAT position. The team has a level of consistency, the pressure is off in a lot of respects, and, for once we dont have to completely rebuild the entire playing squad in the summer, just tweak it. Why disrupt everything and have to go through that again?

Because we play absolute shit football ?

Because we play absolute shit football ?

we werent shit yesterday?

If it continues like that, shouldnt be a problem?

Plus, its successful haha

Happy for Walter to stay and it wasn't any change in tactics, it was the players all performing for a change.

Mendes and Davis both turned up for the first time in ages and were terrific.

If the players get their mentality right for every game then we will crush the league next season! That performance was great and showed up Dundee Utd for the poor side they are :D

Never wanted Walter to go but if he did I wouldn't want Ally, too inexperienced!

As i have been saying for months he is going nowhere, but will at the end of next season....so this is hardly a story

What i would say is though one more title and our next manager is already on the coaching staff......

Yeah I know!

His wee dig at them was good too in his interviews....

"I'd much rather be automatically in the Champions League than having to Qualify..." ;)

Sir Walter :D

Well said!

I always had faith in Walter. There were a few decisions, most notably bringing on Dailly when we needed a goal in the League Cup Final, but generally, I've backed him all the way and feel vindicated.

Kudos to Walter- a real Rangers Legend.